Malazan Empire: Games of Thrones! WATCHED IT ALL! SPOILERS books and tv SPOILERS - Malazan Empire

• 45 Pages +
  • « First

Games of Thrones! WATCHED IT ALL! SPOILERS books and tv SPOILERS SPOILERS tv and ALL SIF books spoilers SPOILERS Rate Topic: -----

#881 User is offline   Ceda Cicero 

• Ceda of Team Quick Ben
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 27 September 2011 - 02:50 AM

worrywort, on 27 September 2011 - 01:34 AM, said:

Haha SOMEBODY is addicted to the show like it's cocaine and just got a baggie of bath salts.

Excepting the fact that this is a very real, very credible indictment, and one that should concern me, and allowing for the fact that yes, comparatively speaking, this teaser is lame, let's pump the brakes. HBO (or any other network) very rarely begin promotion of any sort for a new season this far out from its premier. The fact that they're doing so now, even if it's without any actual footage or juicy tidbits, is just another positive sign with regard to the show's overall standing, and chances of longevity.

The purpose of this particular teaser trailer is not to sate die-hard fans with footage, or to give any plot insights. It's clearly to maintain/revive/ignite public interest in the season 2 premier, and make sure that it doesn't fall of the radar of the casual viewer. In that these are the (admittedly modest) aims, I think it's safe to say it succeeds. Carry on.

View PostIlluyankas, on 07 April 2011 - 08:37 PM, said:

How do you rape a cave? Do you ask, "You want to fuck, yes?" hear the echo come back, "Yes... es... es..." and get your barnacle-gouged groove on?

#882 User is offline   Tapper 

• Lover of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 27 September 2011 - 07:48 AM

Ceda Cicero, on 27 September 2011 - 02:50 AM, said:

.... and chances of longevity.

Carice (the actress playing Melisandre) said on a dutch tv show that she signed a four (or five) year contract. Of course, HBO may have a clause in the contract that allows them to dissolve it prematurely, but it shows a lot of intent on their part.

This post has been edited by Tapper: 27 September 2011 - 08:02 AM

Everyone is entitled to his own wrong opinion. - Lizrad

#883 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 27 September 2011 - 12:38 PM

It's clearly to maintain/revive/ignite public interest in the season 2 premier, and make sure that it doesn't fall of the radar of the casual viewer.

Explain this to me though. What on earth is the purpose? Are they not going to do a similar campaign as they did with season one, print and commercials and the like? Did they not show an identical teaser right after the finale aired? The casual viewer, who has HBO is not going to be oblivious to it when it debuts are they? there will be ads during every other show (as HBO is wont to do)...so it makes no sense this far out to put out something so useless.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#884 User is offline   Ceda Cicero 

• Ceda of Team Quick Ben

Posted 27 September 2011 - 12:51 PM

QuickTidal, on 27 September 2011 - 12:38 PM, said:

It's clearly to maintain/revive/ignite public interest in the season 2 premier, and make sure that it doesn't fall of the radar of the casual viewer.

Explain this to me though. What on earth is the purpose? Are they not going to do a similar campaign as they did with season one, print and commercials and the like? Did they not show an identical teaser right after the finale aired? The casual viewer, who has HBO is not going to be oblivious to it when it debuts are they? there will be ads during every other show (as HBO is wont to do)...so it makes no sense this far out to put out something so useless.

I mean, the purpose is the same as the "Winter is coming" teaser trailer with the cloud of ravens, or any other teaser trailer in the history of teaser trailer that doesn't feature footage. I disagree that the casual viewer isn't oblivious to the premier. In fact, I'd hazard a guess that for the casual viewer, by now this show has more or less fallen off radar. This is an easy way to start edging it back on radar with those kinds of viewers.

No one's disagreeing that some footage would have been preferable. But I also don't think this was any kind of blunder or misstep. I mean, don't most major shows and movies start off with teasers like this? Isn't that why it's called a teaser?

You're wrong Scott YOU'RE WRONG I am going to feed your soul to my fires.

How do you rape a cave? Do you ask, "You want to fuck, yes?" hear the echo come back, "Yes... es... es..." and get your barnacle-gouged groove on?

#885 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 27 September 2011 - 12:58 PM

Ceda Cicero, on 27 September 2011 - 12:51 PM, said:

I mean, the purpose is the same as the "Winter is coming" teaser trailer with the cloud of ravens, or any other teaser trailer in the history of teaser trailer that doesn't feature footage. I disagree that the casual viewer isn't oblivious to the premier. In fact, I'd hazard a guess that for the casual viewer, by now this show has more or less fallen off radar. This is an easy way to start edging it back on radar with those kinds of viewers.

No one's disagreeing that some footage would have been preferable. But I also don't think this was any kind of blunder or misstep. I mean, don't most major shows and movies start off with teasers like this? Isn't that why it's called a teaser?

See, I have no problems with a teaser of this type for a film that we don't know about yet. But I have NEVER seen a TV show that already has one season under its belt make a teaser with zero footage or any real point. Even Doctor Who's really small teasers for the forthcoming season 6 months out have thought put into how they tease, and always use some footage, even if it's just ten seconds.

Here's how the marketing meeting went at HBO for the GOT S2 one:

Executive: Hey, you there...what's your name?

Underling mail room boy: Toby.

Executive: Okay Tony, are you good with computers?

Toby/Tony: Yes sir.

Executive: Good. Make up a teaser trailer for the next season of Game Of Thrones, it's due in an hour.

Toby/Tony: Can I have any footage?

Executive: Nope. Just use the title and maybe a line from the script.

Toby/Tony: So you want me to use footage of someone saying a line from the show?

Executive: No.

Toby/Tony: Audio?

Executive: Um...no, we don't want to have to pay anyone to deliver a line of audio....Just say the line yourself in a whispery voice.

Toby/Tony: Okay sir. If I might ask, what's the point of this?

Executive: People are stupid Tony. If we don't tell them that we are making the show then they'll forget...

Toby/Tony: But sir, won't we be running promo's later this...

Executive: I have spoken Tony. One hour.

Toby/Tony: ??? Yes sir.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 27 September 2011 - 12:59 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#886 User is offline   Ceda Cicero 

• Ceda of Team Quick Ben

Posted 27 September 2011 - 01:29 PM

QuickTidal, on 27 September 2011 - 12:58 PM, said:

See, I have no problems with a teaser of this type for a film that we don't know about yet. But I have NEVER seen a TV show that already has one season under its belt make a teaser with zero footage or any real point. Even Doctor Who's really small teasers for the forthcoming season 6 months out have thought put into how they tease, and always use some footage, even if it's just ten seconds.

Executive: Good. Make up a teaser trailer for the next season of Game Of Thrones, it's due in an hour.

Toby/Tony: So you want me to use footage of someone saying a line from the show?

Executive: Um...no, we don't want to have to pay anyone to deliver a line of audio....Just say the line yourself in a whispery voice.

Executive: People are stupid Tony. If we don't tell them that we are making the show then they'll forget...

Just to proceed along the nitpickery line, that's almost definitely the voice of Stephen Dillane/Stannis.

#887 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 27 September 2011 - 01:47 PM

Ceda Cicero, on 27 September 2011 - 01:29 PM, said:

Just to proceed along the nitpickery line, that's almost definitely the voice of Stephen Dillane/Stannis.

*snort* LOL, understood.

#888 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 27 September 2011 - 01:56 PM

Plus sometimes these campaigns build, ie: the next version has the same line plus a three second shot of Peter Dinklage with his shirt off, battle axe in one hand, cask of beer in the other, riding a flame-breathing polar bear into battle while howling the opening bars of Led Zepplin's Immigrant Song.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#889 User is offline   dktorode 

• Luck is my middle name, Mind you, my first name is Bad."
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 27 September 2011 - 02:53 PM

QuickTidal, on 26 September 2011 - 08:14 PM, said:

So anyone see the new "teaser"? It's fucking lame.

Ugh. Really HBO? Instead of waiting till they have some footage to cut together, they give us one line as text, (read by a dude, when we all know it's Melissandre's line) and the logo again.

This is nearly identical to the logo trailer they ran at the end of last season's finale.

While I am mega-excited for the second season, this is just a marketing faux-pas to me. HBO ought to have waited till they had something a bit more substantial before bothering to debut. This is more of the same that reveals jack squat, and it damned near pointless to me. It's like they assume that if they don't keep telling us that Season 2 is being made, people will forget or something. We are not that dumb HBO. LOL

QuickTidal, on 27 September 2011 - 12:38 PM, said:

QuickTidal, on 27 September 2011 - 12:58 PM, said:

Judging from your posts it looks like the Teaser trailer has done exactly what it was meant to do....TEASE you....
Ooooo weee.....It teased you reeeal geeewd! Posted Image

So good in fact...that you are now unwittingly punting even more discussion about the show on fan forums and god knows where else because you are so butthurt about how badly they have teased you. ;)

delicious stuff! Posted Image
...┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐...

Why dont they make the whole plane out of that black box stuff?

#890 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 27 September 2011 - 03:08 PM

dktorode, on 27 September 2011 - 02:53 PM, said:

Judging from your posts it looks like the Teaser trailer has done exactly what it was meant to do....TEASE you....
Ooooo weee.....It teased you reeeal geeewd! Posted Image

So good in fact...that you are now unwittingly punting even more discussion about the show on fan forums and god knows where else because you are so butthurt about how badly they have teased you. ;)

delicious stuff! Posted Image

Get outta here with all your logic DK! LOL

#891 User is offline   Ceda Cicero 

• Ceda of Team Quick Ben

Posted 30 November 2011 - 07:08 PM

Hey fuckbutters. DVD/BR release of season one is set for March 6. Posted Image

Share this topic:

• 45 Pages +
  • « First

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users