Malazan Empire: Just finished Towers of midnight... Man i felt dumb at the end - Malazan Empire

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Just finished Towers of midnight... Man i felt dumb at the end observations, SPOILERS, QUOTES SPOILERS

#1 User is offline   SilenceYourTongueAndWitness 

• Recruit
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 27 December 2010 - 04:18 AM

OKAY THERE ARE SO MANY SPOLERS HERE IM NOT BLOCKING THEM OUT. SPOILERS SPOILERS

SPOILER

Okay so i finished the book today and it was amazing, it was everything i had been hoping for and more and i figured it deserved some praise, However for most of the novel i was confused about something.

When Rand walked into Tar Valon it seemed pretty ballsy to me and couldn't for the life of me figure out why he was so calm about the whole thing, Or again when he was with the Borderlanders at Far Madding where he couldn't channel. It wasn't until after they had slapped him in the face (totally unexpected and awesome moment) and he said

"You don't know how close you came to doom," Rand said softly. "If I had come to you but a short while earlier, I'd have returned those slaps with Balefire"
"Inside the Guardian?" Tenobia sniffed disdainfully.
"The Guardian blocks the One Power," Rand whispered. "The One Power only."

Did that I remember during book 12 he had touched the "True Source". So he can't be be cut off from power, a circle of 13 means nothing, male A'dam mean nothing (did i mention how badass Rand is).
Also on a completely different topic anyone else think his ability to just say "screw the hand didn't need it anyway"(minor paraphrase :)) was just an awesome way to show Rand being hard as steel.

Anywho enough of my Rand Fanboy rant :)
"Think you got a spine, Corporal?"
"Spine? I'm a f-f-f-fucking tree, and you ain't the wind to b-b-b-blow me down. " (Master Sgt Pores to Corporal Tarr)

#2 User is offline   Terez 

• High Analyst of TQB
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:WWQBD?
  • WoT Fangirl, Rank Traitor

Posted 27 December 2010 - 07:15 AM

View PostSilenceYourTongueAndWitness, on 27 December 2010 - 04:18 AM, said:

Okay so i finished the book today and it was amazing, it was everything i had been hoping for and more and i figured it deserved some praise, However for most of the novel i was confused about something.

When Rand walked into Tar Valon it seemed pretty ballsy to me and couldn't for the life of me figure out why he was so calm about the whole thing, Or again when he was with the Borderlanders at Far Madding where he couldn't channel. It wasn't until after they had slapped him in the face (totally unexpected and awesome moment) and he said

"You don't know how close you came to doom," Rand said softly. "If I had come to you but a short while earlier, I'd have returned those slaps with Balefire"
"Inside the Guardian?" Tenobia sniffed disdainfully.
"The Guardian blocks the One Power," Rand whispered. "The One Power only."

Did that I remember during book 12 he had touched the "True Source". So he can't be be cut off from power, a circle of 13 means nothing, male A'dam mean nothing (did i mention how badass Rand is).
Also on a completely different topic anyone else think his ability to just say "screw the hand didn't need it anyway"(minor paraphrase :p) was just an awesome way to show Rand being hard as steel.

Anywho enough of my Rand Fanboy rant :)

One Power=True Source
True Power=Dark One

Anyway, here's something weird about Rand's powers now, and I'm pretty sure it has nothing to do with the True Power. It's basically the essence of the Dark One, and can't possibly be a good thing, though it did get him out of a bind once. It had horrible consequences that almost led to him destroying the Pattern. If he does still use the True Power, then it has to be somehow filtered so that he is immune to its taint (which I gather is rather different from the taint that was on saidin - much more dangerous in its own way), and I find that to be highly unlikely. I think he was mostly not worried about the Borderlanders because he believed that he could trust them - he did ask Nynaeve to be prepared to make a gateway just in case. But that was part of the whole Dark Rand business - he mistrusted everyone. He overcame that on Dragonmount - that's why he told the Borderlanders that he'd have balefired them IF he'd come a few days before. It's implied that he no longer would consider it, partly because the slaps didn't anger him as they would have, but partly because he wouldn't use the True Power again.

He somehow knew that he should go to the Tower when he came down off the mountain, though last he heard Egwene was still a rebel outside the city. How would he even know that Egwene had control of the Tower? Rand controls his dreams now - is he a prophetic dreamer? He had a dream about going to Tar Valon way back before he even left the Two Rivers:

TEOTW9, Tellings of the Wheel said:

"Noooo!" he screamed ... and grunted as paving stones smacked the breath out of him. Wonderingly he got to his feet. He stood on the approaches to one of the marvellous bridges he had seen rearing over the river. Smiling people walked by on either side of him, people dressed in so many colors they made him think of a field of wildflowers. Some of them spoke to him, but he could not understand, though the words sounded as if he should. But the faces were friendly, and the people gestured him onward, over the bridge with its intricate stonework, onward toward the shining, silver-streaked walls and the towers beyond. Toward the safety he knew waited there.

He joined the throng streaming across the bridge and into the city through massive gates set in tall, pristine walls. Within was a wonderland where the meanest structure seemed a palace. It was as though the builders had been told to take stone and brick and tile and create beauty to take the breath of mortal men. There was no building, no monument that did not make him stare with goggling eyes. Music drifted down the streets, a hundred different songs, but all blending with the clamor of the crowds to make one grand, joyous harmony. The scents of sweet perfumes and sharp spices, of wondrous foods and myriad flowers, all floated in the air, as if every good smell in the world were gathered there.

The street by which he entered the city, broad and paved with smooth, gray stone, stretched straight before him toward the center of the city. At its end loomed a tower larger and taller than any other in the city, a tower as white as fresh-fallen snow. That tower was where safety lay, and the knowledge he sought. But the city was such as he had never dreamed of seeing. Surely it would not matter if he delayed just a short time in going to the tower? He turned aside onto a narrower street, where jugglers strolled among hawkers of strange fruits.

Ahead of him down the street was a snow-white tower. The same tower. In just a little while, he thought, and rounded another corner. At the far end of this street, too, lay the white tower. Stubbornly he turned another corner, and another, and each time the alabaster tower met his eyes. He spun to run away from it ... and skidded to a halt. Before him, the white tower. He was afraid to look over his shoulder, afraid it would be there, too.

The faces around him were still friendly, but shattered hope filled them now, hope he had broken. Still the people gestured him forward, pleading gestures. Toward the tower. Their eyes shone with desperate need, and only he could fulfill it, only he could save them.

Very well, he thought. The tower was, after all, where he wanted to go.

Even as he took his first step forward disappointment faded from those about him, and smiles wreathed every face. They moved with him, and small children strewed his path with flower petals. He looked over his shoulder in confusion, wondering who the flowers were meant for, but behind him were only more smiling people gesturing him on. They must be for me, he thought, and wondered why that suddenly did not seem strange at all. But wonderment lasted only a moment before melting away; all was as it should be.

First one, then another of the people began to sing, until every voice was lifted in a glorious anthem. He still could not understand the words, but a dozen interweaving harmonies, shouted joy and salvation. Musicians capered through the on-flowing crowd, adding flutes and harps and drums in a dozen sizes to the hymn, and all the songs he had heard before blended in without seam. Girls danced around him, laying garlands of sweet-smelling blossoms across his shoulders, twining them about his neck. They smiled at him, their delight growing with every step he took. He could not help but smile back. His feet itched to join in their dance, and even as he thought of it he was dancing, his steps fitting as if he had known it all from birth. He threw back his head and laughed; his feet were lighter than they had ever been, dancing with ... He could not remember the name, but it did not seem important.

It is your destiny, a voice whispered in his head, and the whisper was a thread in the paean.

Carrying him like a twig on the crest of a wave, the crowd flowed into a huge square in the middle of the city, and for the first time he saw that the white tower rose from a great palace of pale marble, sculpted rather than built, curving walls and swelling domes and delicate spires fingering the sky. The whole of it made him gasp in awe. Broad stairs of pristine stone led up from the square, and at the foot of those stairs the people halted, but their song rose ever higher. The swelling voices buoyed his feet. Your destiny, the voice whispered, insistent now, eager.

He no longer danced, but neither did he stop. He mounted the stairs without hesitation. This was where he belonged.

Scrollwork covered the massive doors at the top of the stairs, carvings so intricate and delicate that he could not imagine a knife blade fine enough to fit. The portals swung open, and he went in. They closed behind him with an echoing crash like thunder.

"We have been waiting for you," the Myrddraal hissed.

And the Shadow was waiting for Rand in the Tower...up until Egwene executed a quarter of the Black Ajah and forced the rest to flee. Just after Rand woke from this dream - in the very next chapter - the Pattern wove Egwene into the mix:

TEOTW10, Leavetaking said:

"Very well," Moiraine said after a moment. "You may come with us."

A startled expression darted across Lan's face. It was gone in an instant, leaving him outwardly calm, but furious words erupted from him. "No, Moiraine!"

"It is part of the Pattern, now, Lan."

"It is ridiculous!" he retorted. "There's no reason for her to come along, and every reason for her not to."

"There is a reason for it," Moiraine said calmly. "A part of the Pattern, Lan." The Warder's stony face showed nothing but he nodded slowly.

Rand and Egwene again, with a POV switch (and a nice reference to Moiraine):

LOC18, A Taste of Solitude said:

Egwene bounded to her feet. "Rand, you have to help me with the Wise Ones; they'll listen to you," she burst out before she could stop herself. That was not what she had intended at all.

"It is good to see you again too," he said, smiling. He was carrying that length of Seanchan spear, carved with Dragons since she saw it last. She wished she knew where he had gotten the thing; anything Seanchan made her skin crawl. "I am well, thank you, Egwene. And you? You look to be yourself again, full of ginger as ever." He looked so tired. And hard, hard enough to make that smile appear odd. He seemed harder every time she saw him.

He caught sight of himself in a gilt-framed mirror. "At least you didn't let her see you were tired," he told his reflection. That had been one of Moiraine's more succinct bits of advice. Never let them see you weaken. He just had to become used to thinking of Egwene as one of them.

The last line in particular is interesting, but the main point is Moiraine's advice. That might have a good bit to do with why Rand was so calm with the Borderlanders and in the Tower - if he let them see him weaken (as he did here), then they would only think of their advantage over him. The next time Rand and Egwene saw each other:

LOC27, Gifts said:

"I don't trust any Aes Sedai. They" – there was a hesitation in his voice, as if he had started to use another word, though she could not imagine what – "will try to use me, and I will try to use them. A pretty circle, don't you think?" If she had ever considered the possibility that he could be allowed near the Salidar Aes Sedai, his eyes disabused her of it, so hard, so cold, that she shivered inside.

Maybe if he got angry enough, if he struck enough sparks with Coiren that the embassy went back to the Tower empty-handed, on their own... "If you think it is pretty, I suppose it is; you are the Dragon Reborn. Well, since you intend to go through with this, you might as well do it right. Just remember that they are Aes Sedai. Even a king listens to Aes Sedai with respect, even when he doesn't agree, and he'd set out for Tar Valon on the hour if summoned. Even the Tairen High Lords would, or Pedron Niall." The fool man grinned at her again, or at least showed his teeth; the rest of his face was as blank as river rock. "I hope you're paying attention. I am trying to help you," Just not the way he thought. "If you mean to use them, you can't make them bristle like doused cats. The Dragon Reborn won't impress them any more than he does me, with your fancy coats and your thrones and your fool scepter." She shot a scornful look at the tasseled spearhead; Light, the thing made her skin crawl! "They aren't going to fall on their knees when they see you, and it won't kill you when they don't. It will not kill you to be courteous, either. Bend your stubborn neck. It isn't groveling to show a proper deference, a little humbleness."

"Proper deference," he said thoughtfully. With a sigh, he shook his head ruefully, scrubbed a hand through his hair. "I suppose I can't talk to an Aes Sedai the same way I do to some lord who's been plotting behind my back. It's good advice, Egwene. I'll try. I will be humble as a mouse."

Trying not to look hurried, she rubbed at her face again with the handkerchief to hide her goggling. She was not really sure her eyes were popping, but she thought they must be. Her whole life, any time she pointed out that right was a better way, he stuck out his chin and insisted on left! Why did he have to choose now to listen?

Leaning back in that thronelike chair, Rand looked at the chests with a near smile. The Aes Sedai studied him, faces masks of composure, yet Egwene thought she detected a hint of complacency in Coiren's eyes, a faint increase of contempt on Galina's full lips. Nesune... Nesune was the real danger.

Abruptly the lids snapped down without a hand touching them, and the serving women leaped back, not bothering to muffle their squeals. The Aes Sedai stiffened, and Egwene prayed as hard as she sweated. She wanted him arrogant and a touch insolent, but just enough to put their backs up, not to the point of making them decide to try gentling him on the spot.

Suddenly it occurred to her that so far he had shown nothing of that "humble as a mouse." He had never intended to. The man had been toying with her! If she were not too frightened to be sure of her knees, she would go over and box his ears.

As they turned to go, Rand spoke again, casually. "I forgot to ask. How is Alviarin?"

"She is well." Galina's mouth hung open for a moment, her eyes widening. She appeared startled to have spoken.

Coiren hesitated on the brink of using the opening to say more, but Rand stood impatiently, all but tapping his foot. When they were gone, he stepped down, hefting that spearhead and staring at the doors that had closed behind them.

Egwene wasted not a moment striding toward him. "What game are you playing at, Rand al'Thor?" She had taken half a dozen steps before a glimpse of her reflection in the mirrors made her realize she had walked right through his weave of saidin. At least she had not known when it touched her. "Well?"

"She's one of Alviarin's," he said thoughtfully. "Galina. She is one of Alviarin's friends. I'd bet on it."

Planting herself in front of him, she sniffed. "You'd lose your coin and stick yourself in the foot with a pitchfork, too. Galina is a Red, or I never saw one."

"Because she doesn't like me?" He was looking at her now, and she almost wished he was not. "Because she's afraid of me?" He was not grimacing or glaring, or even staring particularly hard, yet his eyes seemed to know things she did not. She hated that. His smile came so suddenly she blinked. "Egwene, do you expect me to believe you can tell a woman's Ajah by her face?"

"No, but – "

"Anyway, even Reds might end following me. They know the Prophecies as well as anybody else. 'The unstained tower breaks and bends knee to the forgotten sign'. Written before there was a White Tower, but what else could 'the unstained tower' be? And the forgotten sign? My banner, Egwene, with the ancient symbol of Aes Sedai."

"Burn you, Rand al'Thor!" The curse came more awkwardly than she could have wished; she was not accustomed to saying such things. "The Light burn you! You can't really be thinking of going with them. You can't!"

He showed his teeth in amusement. Amusement! "Didn't I do what you wanted? What you told me to do and what you wanted."

Her lips compressed indignantly. Bad enough that he knew, but throwing it in her face was just rude.

I can see this being a parallel to Rand's meeting with Egwene in TOM, and what he essentially forced her to do (to help him gather all of the nations of the world at the Field of Merrilor, and the Aes Sedai) along with what he actually asked her to do - she thinks that he really wants her to stop him from breaking the seals, as if there is only some small part of him that acknowledges it's the wrong thing to do:

TOM Epilogue, And After said:

"Egwene, what if al'Thor isn't coming? What if he did this to distract everyone from whatever else he's doing?"

"Why would he do that?" Egwene said. "He's already proven that he can avoid being found, if he wants to." She shook her head. "Gawyn, he knows he shouldn't break those seals. A part of him does, at least. Perhaps that's why he told me-so I could gather resistance, so I could talk him out of it."

Anyway, that last quote from LOC was the last time they really saw each other until TOM. Except this bit where Rand spies on her in Tel'aran'rhiod:

LOC32, Summoned in Haste said:

As soon as Egwene disappeared, Rand stepped out from among the columns. He came here sometimes, to look at Callandor. The first visit had been after Asmodean taught him to invert his weaves. Then he had changed the traps laid around the sa'angreal so only he could see them. If the Prophecies could be believed, whoever drew it out would "follow after" him. He was not sure how much he did believe any longer, but there was no sense taking chances.

Lews Therin rumbled somewhere in the back of his head – he always did when Rand came close to Callandor– but tonight the gleaming crystal sword interested Rand not at all. He stared at where the huge map had hung. Not really a map, there at the end, but something more. What was this place? Was it simple chance that drew him here tonight instead of yesterday, or tomorrow? One of his ta'veren tugs on the Pattern? No matter. Egwene had accepted that summons meekly, and that she would never do if it came from the Tower and Elaida. This Salidar was where her mysterious friends were hiding. Where Elayne was. They had handed themselves to him.

Laughing, he opened a gateway to the reflection of the Palace in Caemlyn.

And of course, the only thing Rand ever managed to do with that information was to send Mat and Aviendha down there, which led to Mat going to Ebou Dar and securing the only slice of the Dragon's Peace that Rand and Egwene can't manage on their own. :) I think it's especially interesting because I believe that Rand tried to force that prophecy and therefore it might not even refer to Callandor at all. What if it refers to Justice?

All that being said, it may be that Rand is constantly connected to the One Power now - it might explain why his kids with Aviendha turn out that way, if he's like that when he impregnates her - but I have a feeling that a lot of Rand's 'miracles' in TOM have more mundane explanations than are readily obvious. Or at least, that they have possible mundane explanations. It may be that RJ intended to leave these things questionable as a reference to the Jesus miracles and other such messiah-type things. He seems to be a lot stronger than normal at Maradon, but it may just be that the integration of his memories helped to raise his skill level. It's not entirely clear. The Light thing when he channels is quite strange, and it seems to be connected to the light that is warding his brain against the taint. It may be that Rand really does control his ta'veren powers now to a greater extent than before. It might be a balance to all the shit the Pattern has put him through up to this point. He earned it. I just doubt it's all over with; I think there are problems Rand has yet to overcome quite aside from the Shayol Ghul business.

Complex issue, no easy answers.

The President (2012) said:

Please proceed, Governor.

Chris Christie (2016) said:

There it is.

Elizabeth Warren (2020) said:

And no, I’m not talking about Donald Trump. I’m talking about Mayor Bloomberg.

#3 User is offline   Roldom 

• Great Wizzard of High House Naughtiness

Posted 27 December 2010 - 10:21 AM

i think he has to use the true power from the dark one so recreate the dark ones prison

sure it was mentioned that he needed something that touched or was linked to the dark one to reseal the bore perfectly, what better than using the dark ones own power? the only problem here is that the dark one is supposed to be able to refuse use of the true power, and the dark one wouldnt allow himself to be sealed up...

I assume that rand can use the true power because of his link with moridin which happend in shader logroth, when they fought sammael and their balefire touched. if thats true then maybe the DO cant refuse rand the true power without refusing moridin.

so when moridin and rand have there final showdown....

Posted Image

rand will use the true power and seal the bore

or at least thats my 2 cents
I did not like the catfish... - Karsa Orlong

The best detox is retox - drunken co-worker

#4 User is offline   End of Disc One 

• House Knight

Posted 27 December 2010 - 04:07 PM

I also have a question: what was the point of Rand coming across Cyndane/Lanfear at the end? By the time I finished the book there were so many ToM threads on the internet, it was hard to find the answer.

#5 User is offline   SilenceYourTongueAndWitness 

• Recruit

Posted 27 December 2010 - 07:33 PM

Well. 2 things i see with that response, the fact he no longer considered it an option to blast the Borderlander's is irrelevant the fact he was ABLE to blast them in a place where he shouldn't be able to touch power is all I'm getting at, Also it was said by Min that the gateway he asked Cadsuane to have ready just in case was never meant for him and why would he say "it only blocks the one power" if he didn't have ready access to something it didn't block ?

On the matter of Rand going to Tar Valon, it didn't matter who led the White Tower when rand came, If he was unable to be shielded from power he could have walked in and out regardless of who was Amrylin and on that note he would have known Egwene was Amrylin the moment he set foot in Tar Valon unless he was blind and deaf lol

What you said about Rand going a little "bonkers" last time he was touching the "True Power" is true but on the same note the Rand we saw then is a VERY VERY VERY different Rand then the one we see at the end of book 13
"Spine? I'm a f-f-f-fucking tree, and you ain't the wind to b-b-b-blow me down. " (Master Sgt Pores to Corporal Tarr)

#6 User is offline   SilenceYourTongueAndWitness 

• Recruit

Posted 27 December 2010 - 07:35 PM

View PostRoldom, on 27 December 2010 - 10:21 AM, said:

i think he has to use the true power from the dark one so recreate the dark ones prison

sure it was mentioned that he needed something that touched or was linked to the dark one to reseal the bore perfectly, what better than using the dark ones own power? the only problem here is that the dark one is supposed to be able to refuse use of the true power, and the dark one wouldnt allow himself to be sealed up...

I assume that rand can use the true power because of his link with moridin which happend in shader logroth, when they fought sammael and their balefire touched. if thats true then maybe the DO cant refuse rand the true power without refusing moridin.

so when moridin and rand have there final showdown....

Posted Image

rand will use the true power and seal the bore

or at least thats my 2 cents

I like this idea

#7 User is offline   Goaswerfraiejen 

• Captain

Posted 29 December 2010 - 05:57 PM

I still don't understand why he doesn't weave himself a new hand made of air and tie off the weaves.

#8 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 29 December 2010 - 06:00 PM

He'd have to constantly adjust the weaves with saidin since there's no nerve connection between this metaphorical air hand and his brain.

Besides, a hand made of balefire is much cooler. Far less practical, but who cares about practicality when you can pimp slap someone's head into nonexistance? I just hope if he did he was very careful when, er, 'adjusting' himself.

This post has been edited by Illuyankas: 29 December 2010 - 06:01 PM

Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#9 User is offline   Goaswerfraiejen 

• Captain

Posted 29 December 2010 - 07:29 PM

View PostIlluyankas, on 29 December 2010 - 06:00 PM, said:

He'd have to constantly adjust the weaves with saidin since there's no nerve connection between this metaphorical air hand and his brain.

He only really needs it to hold his sword steady, so there's not much need for adjustment, provided it's not hard as stone but has some give to it.

As for a balefire hand... can you even tie off balefire? 0_o

#10 User is offline   Roldom 

Posted 03 January 2011 - 02:51 AM

i could be wrong but i think its the slashes of colour they wear to denote rank

#11 User is offline   hmqb 

• The Abyssmal Army's Official Cult Expert and Brainwasher
  • Group: The Abyssmal Army

Posted 03 January 2011 - 03:04 AM

I just realized that in the first post the quote how the fuck does she know what balefire is? I thought barely anyone knew about it.
-

#12 User is offline   Roldom 

Posted 03 January 2011 - 03:10 AM

u mean tenobia? id assumed that even if rand had said "ill hit u with my boom chikka waa waa" she would of made the same you cant use the power here comment, after all he is a channeler, it would be safe to assume anything threats he would make using words u didnt understand would be one power related

#13 User is offline   Sinisdar Toste 

• Dead Serious
  • View gallery

Posted 03 January 2011 - 05:41 AM

View PostBriar King, on 03 January 2011 - 04:21 AM, said:

View PostRoldom, on 03 January 2011 - 02:51 AM, said:

Ive never heard of Con before reading this series in 05'

con are allegorical to the standards used in samurai armies in the days of the shoguns and whatnot. often worn on the back, but also carried at times, samurai heraldry, to me at least, is exactly what con are based on. obviously aside from the individual colours and designs of the cairhien houses.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

- Oscar Levant

#14 User is offline   Terez 

• High Analyst of TQB

Posted 03 January 2011 - 08:00 AM

He might could make one somehow with the True Power. Which kinda implies Moridin taking over his body, since Rand wouldn't likely use it willingly again.

Illy said:

Besides, a hand made of balefire is much cooler. Far less practical, but who cares about practicality when you can pimp slap someone's head into nonexistance?

You can't do just the head, dork. If you balefire someone's toe, the whole body disappears.

View PostGoaswerfraiejen, on 29 December 2010 - 07:29 PM, said:

As for a balefire hand... can you even tie off balefire? 0_o

OF COURSE NOT

View PostRoldom, on 03 January 2011 - 02:51 AM, said:

The colors of the con do indicate the house, but the slashes of color on clothing are uniform dress for the nobility. Con are like banners with colors and insignia.

View PostHigh Mage Quick Ben, on 03 January 2011 - 03:04 AM, said:

I just realized that in the first post the quote how the fuck does she know what balefire is? I thought barely anyone knew about it.

No, it's just forbidden. People know what it is, maybe even have a vague idea of what it does; Aes Sedai just don't know the weave. Its existence is not exactly common knowledge, but rulers do have to study history.

There it is.

#15 User is offline   End of Disc One 

• House Knight

Posted 18 January 2011 - 07:59 PM

Again I ask, what was the point of the Rand/Cydane scene at the end?

#16 User is offline   Terez 

• High Analyst of TQB

Posted 18 January 2011 - 08:41 PM

We don't know for sure. Either:

1. She really is having second thoughts and somehow managed to get into Rand's dreams to beg for help. While she has claimed before that she can break his warding, she also said he wouldn't like it, which implied it would be painful/torturous, and the image that comes to mind is not anything like what happened. On top of that, when she said that, Rand barely remembered anything of his past life at all, and I'd suspect that she could not so easily break Lews Therin's wards as Rand's. It should theoretically be impossible for her to be in his dreams. Also, this would not explain the scenery, though I suppose she attempts to explain it with 'the Shadow in every man's mind' or whatever.

2. Rand is linked with Moridin. It may be that, since Moridin wears Cyndane's mindtrap, she was able to somehow piggyback the connection into Rand's dreams to beg for help. Alternatively, her mindtrap might have been broken, which would put Moridin in direct control of her mind and body.

3. Again, Rand is linked with Moridin. It may be that Moridin's mind is affecting his dreams - Rand was able to visit Moridin's dreams in TGS, apparently - or it may be that the Dark One is directly influencing them through the link. Since the Dark One appears to touch Moridin's mind directly, this makes sense. It may be that Moridin is doing it, but because of the link between Moridin and the Dark One, the distinction seems almost irrelevant. In this case, Cyndane is surely bait for a trap, and she might be an illusion (like Kari al'Thor in TEOTW) or she might be actually there under duress or a broken mindtrap or whatever.

4. Ishamael took all three boys' eyes in their dreams in TEOTW. Some theorize that this created a link between them and the Dark One. Some theorize that Mat in particular was indiscriminate when he was offered wine and such - we know he was indiscriminate with the action figures (Mat picked his up and therefore identified himself). Anyway, I just brought up that theory about the eyes for shits and giggles.

Hope that helps.

There it is.

#17 User is offline   End of Disc One 

• House Knight

Posted 18 January 2011 - 08:46 PM

Wow thanks. Didn't expect such a thorough answer.

#18 User is offline   Terez 

• High Analyst of TQB

Posted 18 January 2011 - 08:49 PM

Hi, End of Disc One, I'm Terez. Nice to meet you.

There it is.

#19 User is offline   foolio 

• Emperor
  • about as popular as a whores dose of the face eater

Posted 08 March 2011 - 07:58 PM

hi Terez, I was wondering if anyone could enlighten me about the 3 dudes with the sharpened and filed teeth that kill the merchant at the end. Something about them seemed familiar. Has their been mention of aiel that go over to the dark one? I just thought I had read something about them before....
I have seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter at the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in the rain...."

#20 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 08 March 2011 - 08:20 PM

View PostTerez, on 03 January 2011 - 08:00 AM, said:

Besides, a hand made of balefire is much cooler. Far less practical, but who cares about practicality when you can pimp slap someone's head into nonexistance?

You can't do just the head, dork. If you balefire someone's toe, the whole body disappears.

Hmmm....then why was it when Rand was Balefiring walls in his fight with Rahvin in whatever book that was, did it vanish portions of walls, big holes if you will...by this rationale shouldn't the whole building disappear?

:rofl:

Scott=Big fan of balefiring someone's head off. :rofl: AKA the Balefire Headshot
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users