Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Kruppe

#1 User is offline   Jimmy 

• Lieutenant
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 24 March 2008 - 08:56 AM

Didn't know whether others have picked this up, but on a re-read of GoTM. Kruppe has a deck of dragons in his head.

Didn't really want to talk with the newbies in the GoTM forum and just wanted to know whether I was the last one to pick up on it.

Fifth time reading it and I can't believe I missed that bit.

#2 User is offline   Silencer 

• Manipulating Special Data
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen series.
    Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 24 March 2008 - 09:01 AM

Yeah I've seen that before.
Not sure if it still stands.
It could just be a way of saying that Kruppe can predict events before they happen, using his vast intellect instead of the Deck. Still, it could mean that he quite literally has a Deck in his head - which would make him very similar to Paran, although Paran manipulates while Kruppe just reads...

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#3 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 24 March 2008 - 09:05 AM

See, when people make these threads, a quote or a page number would be much appreciated. Is he just sitting at a table drinking beer or is he holding it/using it in relation to some event? Is he holding the deck in one of his dreams? because that would be very interesting.

Anyway, it doesn't surprise me that Kruppe can use a deck. I pretty much imagine Kruppe can do anything he sets his mind to, litteraly.

#4 User is offline   Silencer 

• Manipulating Special Data
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen series.
    Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 24 March 2008 - 09:06 AM

It's says something about him not needing to have a physical deck to read it - and something about him feeling the call to use it.
It's random, unexplained and unrepeated.

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#5 User is offline   Zanth13 

• We are not the same
  • Group: Kings of Drink

Posted 24 March 2008 - 10:16 AM

rep to the first to supply the quote

maybe that will work...
You can't find me because I'm lost in the music

#6 User is offline   Kalahinen 

• Sotijalo

Posted 24 March 2008 - 10:36 AM

GotM, page 172 (Chapter 5), Kruppe dreamwalking:

For some, the talent they possessed found its channel through a toss of knucklebones, the reading of heat fractures in scapulae, or the Fatid of the Deck of Dragons. For Kruppe, he had no need for such affectations. The power of divination was in his head and he could not deny it, no matter how hard he tried. Within the walls of his skull rang the dirge of prophecy, and it echoed through his bones.

#7 User is offline   Zanth13 

• We are not the same
  • Group: Kings of Drink

Posted 24 March 2008 - 02:30 PM

So Kruppe can look into possible futures just by using his head... I wonder if dreas are involved or he just concentrates...

pretty cool

oh and rep provided as promised.
You can't find me because I'm lost in the music

#8 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 24 March 2008 - 02:59 PM

I dunno about you guys, but I don't see Kruppe having a deck in his head from that quote... more like he doesn't care one whit about the deck because he has his own method of divination in his head.

Hate to brag, but boy does this remind me of: http://www.malazanempire.com/forums/showpo...61&postcount=45

#9 User is offline   Jason 

• Corporal

Posted 24 March 2008 - 08:34 PM

A said:

I dunno about you guys, but I don't see Kruppe having a deck in his head from that quote... more like he doesn't care one whit about the deck because he has his own method of divination in his head.

That's how I read it too.

#10 User is offline   lobo the wolfman 

• Wide Eyed Stupid
  • Interests:Beer, books and heavy metal.

Posted 25 March 2008 - 06:39 AM

gotm pg360

Power had a habit of triggering his own talents: already he felt the urgings of the Deck of Dragons within his head.

Thats was from kruppe's pov at Baruks just before Sorry started follewing him. Also remember a statment about the Deck of Dragons unfolding and showing him a reading but can't find the quote

#11 User is offline   lobo the wolfman 

• Wide Eyed Stupid
  • Interests:Beer, books and heavy metal.

Posted 25 March 2008 - 07:08 AM

Found another quote, when talking to K'rul in one of his dreams, pg 441 gotm

'In kruppe's mind his Deck of Dragons rose. He saw the image of half man, half dragon- the Knight of High House Darkness, also known as the Son of Darkness. The man held aloft a black sword trailing smoky chains'

It is the same vision of Rake that Tattersail has in her reading of the deck. It happened twice that i have found, once in his dreams and once while awake. Always around ascendent power, eg the thought of Rake and the use of Baruk of the copy of Oponns coin.

I don't think it was mentioned in MOI at all but Kruppe did seem to have a good sence about what was going to happen. Wasn't always perfect though, Silverfox's denieal of the T'lan Imass was a shock to him.

Hope all this helps.
(sorry about the spelling....)

#12 User is offline   Sparkimus 

• afternoon delight

Posted 25 March 2008 - 02:56 PM

Every instance I've seen of him referring to the Deck in his head, he seems to be actively using it, especially (as stated above) when those of power are around him. Not so surprising since it seems that his mind is a warren unto itself...there's got to be a Deck laying around somewhere :D

QUOTE (Stalker @ Jan 23 2009, 01:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So last night I was walking downtown for some pizza at like 1am with some friends of mine,
and someone said, "I'm so hungry I could eat a whole pizza."

I said, "I bet I could eat 100 pizzas," and no one understood me. I was sad.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users