• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Ten most powerful mages

#141 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 06 June 2008 - 09:23 AM

I don't think it works that way. I doubt that D'rek only resides inside Banaschar.

In fact I think the worms are merely a contact between the god and the priest. Sort of a way of being close to your god and a way of the god to be with its followers.

#142 User is offline   Ain't_It_Just_ 

• The Recidivist
  • Group: LHTEC
  • Interests:Dungeons and Dragons, and the odd caramel slice.
  • The AIJman cometh

Posted 06 June 2008 - 09:50 AM

Apt could be right. Seeing as how Heboric and Gruntle were affected by Treach. Not to mention Toc Jr and-dare I say it- Iskaral Pust.

#143 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 06 June 2008 - 01:46 PM

As i see it, D'rek wiped out its own cult. It has almost no worshippers left.
What happens to a god when its worshippers cease to exist?

We've seen the example of the forgotten gods whose names Mael stuck on the pillar, one of which the Warlock King stole.

But if no one does even that, one assumes that eventually the god will fade away.

Not happy with this, our stubborn tapeworm god plants itself in the digestive tract of the only real worshipper left - Banashar (Tays having long since given up worship in any sense that's useful to Drek).

Since the Cult was wiped out, Bana had access to the treasury and it using it to fund Tavore's campaign. We know, of course, that he has access to Drek's warren. Based on his dissappearing act in TB, we might guess he also has Mokra, Meanas, or the whole Meanas/Rashan/Thyr/Mokra set, or some variation of that. We don't know what other benefits Drek is giving Bana. it may not be much - Poliel wasn't exactly nice to her people. This could be fatal.

That said, on the other hand, Bana may actually be a Destriant equivalent now and quite powerful. I suppose we'll see in time.

- Abyss, notes on the other hand, it may just be gas.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#144 User is offline   Venerus 

• High Fist
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 06 June 2008 - 06:13 PM

Abyss;324097 said:

As i see it, D'rek wiped out its own cult.

Gender-neutral? I thought it was a she? Doesn't Tays say in tBH that "I convinced her otherwise" or someptin?

#145 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 06 June 2008 - 06:19 PM

Venerus;324274 said:

Gender-neutral? I thought it was a she? Doesn't Tays say in tBH that "I convinced her otherwise" or someptin?

Huh.... well... i wasn't expecting some kind of Spanish Inquisition....

;)

Anyrate, worms are bisexual... ummm... omnisexual... hermaphrodite.... ummm... look, it's a frikkin WORM! I was absent the day they covered WORM SEX!!!!

LEAVE ME ALONE!!!

- Abyss, was once bitten by a worm and still traumatized to this day...
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#146 User is offline   Venerus 

• High Fist

Posted 06 June 2008 - 08:42 PM

I can't rep you and send sassy comments in the rep-field, but oh, I would Abyss, I would.

I suppose god gender doesn't really matter, I'm not clear on the system of conception/parity for the immortals. Like, how can you have "some" immortal blood in you? What's half of immortal? or an eighth? Still immortal, no... ?

#147 User is offline   Ammanas 

• UberSchemer

Posted 06 June 2008 - 08:49 PM

Venerus;324415 said:

I can't rep you and send sassy comments in the rep-field, but oh, I would Abyss, I would.

I suppose god gender doesn't really matter, I'm not clear on the system of conception/parity for the immortals. Like, how can you have "some" immortal blood in you? What's half of immortal? or an eighth? Still immortal, no... ?

Well, hmm...that is an interesting question. Even on the mortal side. Like Pearl claiming he was 1/4 Andii. Well Dad was and Mom was but only half so we deduct her missing half from Dad's whole Andiiness AND then divide by 2, producing the 1/4 yours truly Andii, Pearl.

#148 User is offline   Ain't_It_Just_ 

• The Recidivist
  • The AIJman cometh

Posted 07 June 2008 - 10:57 AM

Abyss;324097 said:

As i see it, D'rek wiped out its own cult. It has almost no worshippers left.
What happens to a god when its worshippers cease to exist?

QB provided the answer. Their influence on this world fades, as their mortal servants can't spread it around. I suppose D'rek will not be involved, soon enough.

#149 User is offline   Sinisdar Toste 

• Dead Serious
  • View gallery

Posted 07 June 2008 - 04:14 PM

oh d'rek is involved. banaschar is paying the 14th's way and you can be sure that that's not his only role while the worm his squirming in his guts. she'll probably burst out of him like some kinda pop-culture reference and devour the CG
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

- Oscar Levant

#150 User is offline   Ain't_It_Just_ 

• The Recidivist
  • The AIJman cometh

Posted 08 June 2008 - 10:09 AM

Sinisdar Toste;324924 said:

oh d'rek is involved. banaschar is paying the 14th's way and you can be sure that that's not his only role while the worm his squirming in his guts. she'll probably burst out of him like some kinda pop-culture reference and devour the CG

Or like from Alien....

#151 User is offline   Bauchelain the Evil 

• Greatest necromancer ever
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Not much

Posted 08 June 2008 - 04:38 PM

Ammanas;324426 said:

Well, hmm...that is an interesting question. Even on the mortal side. Like Pearl claiming he was 1/4 Andii. Well Dad was and Mom was but only half so we deduct her missing half from Dad's whole Andiiness AND then divide by 2, producing the 1/4 yours truly Andii, Pearl.

Yeah but Andii blood doesn't have to be immortal. And anyway I thought that Pearl was 1/4 Andii because her mother was half-bllod and his father was a human.I mean, 1 parent Andii and 1 parent human makes you a halfblood so 1 parent half and 1 parent human makes you 1/4
Adept of Team Quick Ben

I greet you as guests and so will not crush the life from you and devour your soul with peals of laughter. No, instead, I will make tea-Gothos

#152 User is offline   BeLeG 

• Captain

Posted 08 June 2008 - 10:32 PM

Ι think that Ceda Kuru Qan is the most powerful mortal mage we've seen so far
I really like the old man.He's like a good grand father with great power and a sharp mind.

In terms of raw power I think he would kick QB's butt

#153 User is offline   Silencer 

• Manipulating Special Data
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen series.
    Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 09 June 2008 - 04:01 AM

I'm curious as to what evidence you have to back that up?
Sure, he did some pretty cool demos, but without the prep or aide of other mages? Look at what QB had done with very little obvious prep, and no assistance!
There is no doubt that all the people mentioned in the various lists floating around are incredibly powerful, but in terms of what we have seen/heard? QB hands-down. Closely followed by Tay. No-one else has come close as an individual.
I still doubt the Ceda's inherent power level. I.e. no ritual, straight up, one on one. I actually think his main area of expertise is more like QB - in his intelligence.

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#154 User is offline   Ain't_It_Just_ 

• The Recidivist
  • The AIJman cometh

Posted 09 June 2008 - 08:25 AM

Ceda would only win (and I'm still sceptical) because of his ridiculous sorcery of the Holds. No intricacy, no versatility. Just raw waves of power.

Warr3nz r wai k00ler.

#155 User is offline   BeLeG 

• Captain

Posted 09 June 2008 - 09:08 AM

well the only evidence I have is that in MT the Edur/CG side considers Ceda their only true adversary during their war against Lether.They all expected him to be in at least one great battle though we eventually learn that he has more important things to do(imprison a sea-demon,take the power of the Cedance in his hands and destroy an entire civilization).About the power of a Ceda:in tBH the Edur on those ships think that QB is a Ceda but in truth QB's power was an illusion.QB's warrens were of no use at all against Edur sorcery.
I will say it again:in terms of raw power I believe that the Ceda would best QB.

#156 User is offline   Silencer 

• Manipulating Special Data
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen series.
    Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 09 June 2008 - 09:29 AM

Ummm.....RG? End of BH?
He couldn't do that then. We don't know if he can do that now.
Kuru Qan couldn't defeat Hanan Mosag when he was channeling the power of the cedance! Sure, he was beating him, but it wasn't a walk in the park either.....
3 dragons is the most almost anybody in the series has defeated. Icarium was blasted back numerous times by QB, with "wave after wave" of power - we don't know if Icarium's ever had that before, but not that we've seen.
The only power we've seen the Ceda use was not entirely his own. He's never stood up and unleashed. Only through ritual.
Like I said - he's powerful, but QB has more evidence pointing to his power.

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#157 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 09 June 2008 - 09:31 AM

There a lot of false assumptions going on here.

Warrens aren't ineffective against Holds. They're most likely equally powerfull. Houses would seem more effective though seeing as they're more refined than the more primitive holds.

Quick Bens warrens weren't "no use" against the Edur sorcery in BH, he just didn't have any chance of preparing or matching the combined strength of a fleet of warlocks.

Finally the Cedas only real powerdisplay was his fight with the Warlock King. He was using a ritual he had been preparing for days or weeks. He was standing on the Tile of the Empty Hold and channeling directly from the warren. All in all we weren't seeing what the Ceda was capable of in open combat, we were seeing how much magic he was able to channel without turning to ash.

EDIT: Silencer was quick.

#158 User is offline   BeLeG 

• Captain

Posted 09 June 2008 - 09:41 AM

ritual or not he knew how to do it.Did someone lend him this power?Well the ancient little man had the knowledge and he used it.QB did get most of his power through a ritual also -the soulshifting.Ceda used the cedance.Ok maybe the power of the cedance through his hands was not a permanent thing but u get my point.

Kuru Qan wasnt just beating Hanan Mosag(with CG behind his power) but he was beating Binadas and a Krisnan also.In the end he would destroy an entire race.And imho without the CG giving his chaos magic to him the Warlock King wouldnt stand a chance against the Ceda with or without the ritual
Well it's a matter of personal view
Maybe QB can do it now, maybe not.They are different magic users but they seem to use different strategies also.

In the end we have 5 books with QB and only one with Ceda Kuru Qan so we have seen QB doing a LOT of things( powerful things,smart things etc)

#159 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 09 June 2008 - 09:50 AM

You can't compare a soulshifting ritual with standing on a gate to a warren and letting all the power of that warren flow through you.

To make a weird analogy you're comparing one house getting eleven new taps installed and a different house being positioned on the top of a geyser. Then claiming that the second house has the best waterflow because it has a giant plume of water gushing through its roof.

Quick Ben uses the power he has direct access to, Kuru Qan made a ritual that took him for ever to prepare and worked through a gate into the Empty Hold.

#160 User is offline   BeLeG 

• Captain

Posted 09 June 2008 - 10:08 AM

All I'm saying is that using a ritual doesnt make u less powerful
Magic is about knowledge also.Maybe Holds need those kind of rituals, maybe its their way of getting things done.Slower in preparation,primal, but devastating.
Thats the impression I got.So u think that any other mage could prepare a ritual like that and be able to use the power of the cedance?QB with his "direct access" would get his butt kicked from Edur/CG sorcery(I'm talking about tbh I dont know after RG)
QB drawing from a host of warrens-faster,many choices,able to adapt in any kind of situation
Ceda drawing from the Empty Hold -slower but damn powerful

In the end the Ceda was about to do the greatest thing I've seen a mortal mage doing in MBOTF

Share this topic:

• 11 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

20 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 20 guests, 0 anonymous users