• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Mosquito Alarm?

#1 User is offline   caladanbrood 

• Ugly on the Inside
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 12 February 2008 - 06:20 PM

http://news.bbc.co.u.../uk/7241527.stm

The Mosquito devices, which can cause discomfort to youngsters' ears, should be "a last resort" against anti-social behaviour.

The children's commissioner and other critics want a ban, saying the gadget is indiscriminate in who it targets.

Some stores say the devices can be useful against anti-social youths.

In a statement issued after the calls for a ban, the government said: "'Mosquito alarms' are not banned and the government has no plans to do so.

"Obviously no-one would want to have to use a device like this, and it should very much be seen as a last resort."

Sounds like a slippery slope to me. I have no problems with them trying to tackle youth crime, but using it to break up groups of teenagers just for the sake of them being in a group seems like an over-reaction, and what about the vast majority of teenagers who have done nothing wrong?

This sort of device is disturbingly reminiscent of big brother societies doing things for "the greater good". The "no one wants to use it" rhetoric is especially alarming.

Any thoughts?
O xein', angellein Lakedaimoniois hoti têde; keimetha tois keinon rhémasi peithomenoi.

#2 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 12 February 2008 - 06:38 PM

I have a variation of this sound as a ringtone that varies through numerous pitches. It's the most reliable ringtone ever, as you WILL hear it. Stupid deafness.

On the subject, though, there will inevitably be massive widescale abuses of it whenever two or more teenagers come near the shop, and it's going to piss off the younger adults who can still hear it but aren't in the 'shitbag' demographic it's designed to deter.
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#3 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 12 February 2008 - 06:38 PM

Sounds like a brilliant idea to me. Only problem is that it would be against ones civil rights, after all, a shop owner doesn't own the street,

if shops, kiosks, gasstations, etc have problems with people hanging out and scaring their customers I think it's a fine idea.

The question I have to ask is, how many times does it take before some youths just knock it down instead?

#4 User is offline   Lost Marine 

• Fist
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 12 February 2008 - 06:55 PM

Yeah this would have driven me off when I was a teenager, but I would have broke a frigging window as I left, just because assholes like that deserve it.

#5 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 12 February 2008 - 06:57 PM

Just to clarify, and yes I'm to lazy to read the article again, but the musquito thing isn't on all the time is it?

It would be clever if the owner could just switch it on if and when a group of obnoxious youths gather.

#6 User is offline   Lost Marine 

• Fist

Posted 12 February 2008 - 06:59 PM

Thats the impression I get, otherwise it would definately be discrimination since you'd be driving teenagers off at all times.

#7 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 12 February 2008 - 07:06 PM

Which would be stupid for business.
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#8 User is offline   caladanbrood 

• Ugly on the Inside
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 12 February 2008 - 07:43 PM

I found another article on it: http://news.bbc.co.u.../uk/7240653.stm

At certain times before we counted over 40 people outside the shop.

The Mosquito has reduced the problem massively.

It still happens, but nowhere near the same amount. It has had a positive effect. Customers have praised us for it.

Where they have moved on to I'm not quite sure.

At the moment we have the device on a timer, but we can override it. Once it comes on in the early evening it stays on until the shop shuts at 11pm.

So it seems in this instance at least to be on for several hours in the evening, and they can just turn it on and off too...
O xein', angellein Lakedaimoniois hoti têde; keimetha tois keinon rhémasi peithomenoi.

#9 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 12 February 2008 - 07:54 PM

I think it's fine, I mean what are 40 teenagers or children doing out there at that time anyway. Don't they have chimneys to sweep and coal to haul down into basements?

#10 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 12 February 2008 - 11:00 PM

I read somewhere that a parking house in australia played phil collins over the speakers all night to keep the kids away
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#11 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 12 February 2008 - 11:07 PM

OK, that's just wrong on a basic level. There's deterrance, and then there's torture.

#12 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 13 February 2008 - 06:44 AM

I could hang out in that parking house.

#13 User is offline   MrXIII 

• Blunt Claw
  • Interests:Vital existence

Posted 18 February 2008 - 08:42 AM

The local shops here in Erskine have one of these things. I have to say I think their effect is somewhat exagerated, it's an irritation at most. It doesn't seem to drive the targets off a lot of the time they just ignore it (too dumb to notice?).

Seemed to bother me more than the intended victims... then again could be the guys I know in the store are sick of me coming in more often than when I worked there.

#14 User is offline   Thelomen Toblerone 

• Ascendant
  • Group: Team Handsome

Posted 18 February 2008 - 12:10 PM

I think it should qualify as noise pollution- if I played Revolution Deathsquad loudly out my front window through a stereo to drive chavs away, would that not be causing a disturbance?

This is exactly the same thing, except fewer people can hear it. What if all but three people on my road were deaf? Same situation then. Some innocent bystander, or baby sleeping upstairs or whatever, is going to hear either noise and be pissed off.

Saying "young people commit crime" is just a stupid reason, not all of them do.

The issue that should be being addressed is why kids are hanging out in groups on corners- namely because there's sod all for them to do. They cant go sit in pubs, there's no youth clubs or affordable things to do- cinema tickets are £7 now, ffs- how are kids with no income supposed to do this?

Int he end, all they can do is hang around together outside. Some will commit crimes yes, but talk about tarring a group with the same brush. Schwarzenegger is is huge, does that mean all politicians used to be bodybuilders? If they're treated like criminals and constantly moved on, dispersed and given no alternatives, it's only natural they feel resentment and start doing the things they're always accused of.

#15 User is offline   pastures 

• Fist

Posted 19 February 2008 - 12:24 AM

no one goes out and buys then installs these things for the heck of it. its done when there IS a problem. whats the big deal? yo're not hurting anyone. just trying to avoid groups that get rowdy from messing up the place. if they are there to shop, they just go into the shop. otherwise they have no real need to hang out in one particular place. if they are doing that, then there is a purpose to it isn't it (to be a nuisance)?

#16 User is offline   RodeoRanch 

• The Midnight Special
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 19 February 2008 - 01:20 AM

I've read that some kids have started using the higher "annoying" frequencies as cellphone ringtones. Apparently adults can't hear it and the kids get away with...something.

I wonder where the hell I read that.

#17 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 19 February 2008 - 01:23 AM

Great, that just opens up the idea of kids playing frequencies adults can hear but THEY can't, and horribly abusing that. Damn it.

#18 User is offline   Optimus Prime 

• Daylight Oblivion
  • Interests:Ranting and Raving. Being the biggest Liberal on this forum. Arguing with Cold Iron (and winning). Writing (struggling right now), reading, Georgia Bulldog FOOTBALL!<br /><br />And the lades, of course, always the ladies ;)

Posted 19 February 2008 - 01:25 AM

This all proves my theory that Cell Phones are the worst invention....ever.

I hate mine. Never use it unless absolutely necessary.

I'm always cautious when we pass laws that take away freedoms or limit them...because it is a very thin line...and once a government crosses it...how do you go back?

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users