• You cannot reply to this topic

The Book I bought today is...

#4561 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 10 April 2021 - 02:47 PM

View PostAbyss, on 10 April 2021 - 01:17 PM, said:

View PostQuickTidal, on 09 April 2021 - 12:56 PM, said:

Always buy books in series you enjoy when they are initially printed...don't wait because filling holes in an already existing collection can be PRICEY AF.

Sliding scale... i enjoy a LOT of books. Only the ones i REALLY lurv get the dead tree treatment, and typically that when i can get my hands on limited, illustrated, or signed editions.

Also, sometimes a later version of a series or set is just so damn pretty, see by example the latest editions of Neil Gaiman's books.

Posted Image

I'd consider a physical book if it had some sort of tactile/haptic or other aspect (other than materials or authorly 'aura' or scarcity) that couldn't easily be replicated in VR. IDK if 3D images without the need for headsets would be particularly appealing---printed holograms and pop-out books aren't all that appealing to me. Also DK about multi-sniff-and-scratch, if it could be made to last a while ('mint sniff n' scratch') without suffusing clothes and furniture (etc.)....

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 10 April 2021 - 02:48 PM

#4562 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 15 April 2021 - 02:42 AM

Found a DANGEROUS Canadian based outlet site (bookoutlet.ca) where they do a lot of overstock/bargain books ...for dirt cheap prices.

So I’ve done a few orders now because I keep finding shit I want and it’s ALL dirt cheap.

The bargain books are brand new, just with a dot marking the non-spine side.

REDWALL: MOSSFLOWER, REDWALL: MATTIMEO, REDWALL: MARIEL OF REDWALL By Brian Jacques $15 for all three.

TIGANA (yes, I’m finally going to see what the fuss is all about and choose a side in the forum TIGANA wars) and UNDER HEAVEN by GGK (both ended up being large trade paperback versions). $20 for both.

THE LEGION OF FLAME, and THE EMPIRE OF ASHES by Anthony Ryan (both hardcover to match my old hardcover of the first book) $10 for both.

THE HILLS HAVE SPIES, EYE SPY, and SPY, SPY AGAIN by Mercedes Lackey...these are Valedmar books that I’m nowhere near in my read of the series, but the covers are gorgeous and for all 3 hardcover it was like $30.

So yeah...dangerous friggin site.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#4563 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 15 April 2021 - 06:15 PM

Somebody needs to friggin stop me...

Ordered EXILE'S HONOR, EXILES VALOR, and TAKE A THIEF by Mercedes Lackey for my Valdemar collection...I need to stop ordering books man. My wife is going to kill me.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#4564 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 20 April 2021 - 11:54 AM

View PostAbyss, on 04 March 2021 - 06:59 PM, said:

Something called THE PATERNUS TRILOGY...
Reco'd by an another author I follow, all 3 books were one audible credit, 60ish hours.

#NOCABAL

Dyrk is a good'un. I am wondering what he's doing with that storage container though... Nefarious Cabal stuff perhaps?

Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#4565 User is offline   stone monkey 

• I'm the baddest man alive and I don't plan to die...
  • Group: Grumpy Old Sods

Posted 22 April 2021 - 11:52 AM

View PostMaark Abbott, on 20 April 2021 - 11:54 AM, said:

View PostAbyss, on 04 March 2021 - 06:59 PM, said:

Something called THE PATERNUS TRILOGY...
Reco'd by an another author I follow, all 3 books were one audible credit, 60ish hours.

#NOCABAL

Dyrk is a good'un. I am wondering what he's doing with that storage container though... Nefarious Cabal stuff perhaps?

I got those cheap on ebook. Interesting ideas, the writing is okay enough. Reminds me a (very) little of The Library At Mount Char, but not as well written, and nowhere near as grim.
If an opinion contrary to your own makes you angry, that is a sign that you are subconsciously aware of having no good reason for thinking as you do. If some one maintains that two and two are five, or that Iceland is on the equator, you feel pity rather than anger, unless you know so little of arithmetic or geography that his opinion shakes your own contrary conviction. … So whenever you find yourself getting angry about a difference of opinion, be on your guard; you will probably find, on examination, that your belief is going beyond what the evidence warrants. Bertrand Russell

#4566 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl

Posted 27 April 2021 - 07:46 AM

Had some Amazon gift credit so went on a minor spree.

Slime Taoshite 300-nen issues 7-9 (couldn't get the Beel spinoff, gutted)
Rascal Does Not Dream issue 4
Licc Anus 2

#4567 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 29 April 2021 - 01:29 PM

Heads up, MURDERBOT 6 is out.

https://www.amazon.c..._bb_marketplace

#4568 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 30 April 2021 - 02:27 AM

View PostQuickTidal, on 29 April 2021 - 01:29 PM, said:

And it is GREAT.

1/3rd in, and Murderbot's inner monologue is particularly scathing/self-effacing/funny this time.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#4569 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 02 May 2021 - 05:27 PM

I just found House of Leaves reduced on Hive.co.uk which I've been looking for for quite a while. Ordered that straight away. Also picked up the complete Dark Knight Returns 30th Anniversary edition graphic novel by Frank Miller, also reduced in price. Happy with both purchases.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#4570 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 02 May 2021 - 05:39 PM

What is hive.co.uk?

#4571 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 02 May 2021 - 06:49 PM

It's a book website that I use to avoid using Amazon so much. When you buy something you can choose a nearby independent bookstore to share some of the cost with. You can do eBooks on there too (you can't put them on Kindle but you can on your phone and I think they work on Kobo).

Usually as cheap or cheaper than Amazon and while they don't have as much of a selection you can get most things that I've seen.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#4572 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 02 May 2021 - 06:50 PM

You might like this website too..
https://www.belfastbooks.co.uk/
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#4573 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 03 May 2021 - 03:10 AM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 02 May 2021 - 06:49 PM, said:

It's a book website that I use to avoid using Amazon so much. When you buy something you can choose a nearby independent bookstore to share some of the cost with. You can do eBooks on there too (you can't put them on Kindle but you can on your phone and I think they work on Kobo).

Usually as cheap or cheaper than Amazon and while they don't have as much of a selection you can get most things that I've seen.

UK credit cards only. Unfortunately.

#4574 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 03 May 2021 - 11:23 AM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 02 May 2021 - 06:50 PM, said:

You might like this website too..
https://www.belfastbooks.co.uk/

Nice, a decent alternative to Amazon would be ace. I do feel bad giving the monster money

#4575 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 03 May 2021 - 02:52 PM

View PostAbyss, on 03 May 2021 - 03:10 AM, said:

View PostTiste Simeon, on 02 May 2021 - 06:49 PM, said:

UK credit cards only. Unfortunately.

Try bookshop.org for a similar experience?

Macros I've not tried the Belfast books one but it seems like a decent shop...
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#4576 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 03 May 2021 - 03:25 PM

I realized that I have TOWER LORD and QUEEN OF FIRE in hardback, but not BLOOD SONG (which I think I got on an eBook deal way back when)....so I ordered the hardcover BLOOD SONG to fill out my collection of his work.

I also pre-ordered Ryan's new series starter THE PARIAH, which comes out this fall.

#4577 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl

Posted 04 May 2021 - 11:49 AM

View PostAbyss, on 30 April 2021 - 02:27 AM, said:

And it is GREAT.

1/3rd in, and Murderbot's inner monologue is particularly scathing/self-effacing/funny this time.

Query. Does Murderbot enjoy turning meatbags inside out on a regular basis?

#4578 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 04 May 2021 - 11:57 AM

She (Is murderbot actually a she? I read it as a she)... I think Murderbot finds it annoying and gross to have to kill humans because they leak all over the place when they die and afterwards she has to deal with police procedure, which cuts into her soap opera time. But she also has zero tolerance for bad guys who try to hurt the people she protects.

#4579 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 04 May 2021 - 09:54 PM

View PostMaark Abbott, on 04 May 2021 - 11:49 AM, said:

And it is GREAT.

View PostAptorian, on 04 May 2021 - 11:57 AM, said:

She (Is murderbot actually a she? I read it as a she)... I think Murderbot finds it annoying and gross to have to kill humans because they leak all over the place when they die and afterwards she has to deal with police procedure, which cuts into her soap opera time. But she also has zero tolerance for bad guys who try to hurt the people she protects.

Murderbot is more of a 'they' or 'it' and actively resists being given a gender. I have this vague notion the original meat components were male, but could be mistaken.

It does not enjoy killing humans, but it very much enjoys doing that thing it is best at and the certainty that comes with those situations, as opposed to all the confusing/frustrating/irritating human interaction it's always finding itself in.

....and honestly, the way it's written is SO damn great. Entertaining and intriguing and engaging all at once. And then when it cuts loose w the violence you can feel the sheer 'joy'.

...these books are SO good.

#4580 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl

Posted 05 May 2021 - 07:44 AM

View PostAbyss, on 04 May 2021 - 09:54 PM, said:

View PostMaark Abbott, on 04 May 2021 - 11:49 AM, said:

And it is GREAT.

View PostAptorian, on 04 May 2021 - 11:57 AM, said:

Murderbot is more of a 'they' or 'it' and actively resists being given a gender. I have this vague notion the original meat components were male, but could be mistaken.

It does not enjoy killing humans, but it very much enjoys doing that thing it is best at and the certainty that comes with those situations, as opposed to all the confusing/frustrating/irritating human interaction it's always finding itself in.

....and honestly, the way it's written is SO damn great. Entertaining and intriguing and engaging all at once. And then when it cuts loose w the violence you can feel the sheer 'joy'.

...these books are SO good.

Forlorn acknowledgement. I was hoping one of you would understand the reference to the best meatbag-killer the galaxy has known. I was sort of getting a HK-47 vibe from the title.

Share this topic:

• 239 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users