Malazan Empire: The Engineer Trilogy - Malazan Empire

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Engineer Trilogy

#1 User is offline   Optimus Prime 

• Daylight Oblivion
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Ranting and Raving. Being the biggest Liberal on this forum. Arguing with Cold Iron (and winning). Writing (struggling right now), reading, Georgia Bulldog FOOTBALL!<br /><br />And the lades, of course, always the ladies ;)

Posted 15 January 2008 - 03:15 AM

Hey guys just picked this one up and started it, the first book is titled Devices and Desires and it is by K.J. Parker. Anybody read it before? I heard SE really liked it.

I'm about 90 pages in and so far it has got me interested.

#2 User is offline   Cold Iron 

• I'll have some lasagna

Posted 15 January 2008 - 03:23 AM

Tell me more about it

#3 User is offline   Optimus Prime 

• Daylight Oblivion
  • Interests:Ranting and Raving. Being the biggest Liberal on this forum. Arguing with Cold Iron (and winning). Writing (struggling right now), reading, Georgia Bulldog FOOTBALL!<br /><br />And the lades, of course, always the ladies ;)

Posted 15 January 2008 - 03:31 AM

What specifically do you want to know without me revealing any of the plot?

#4 User is offline   wolf_2099 

• First Sword
  • I like cake.

Posted 15 January 2008 - 03:36 AM

Is there some sort of mule or donkey in it?
"HAIL THE MARINES!"

#5 User is offline   Cold Iron 

• I'll have some lasagna

Posted 15 January 2008 - 03:46 AM

Setting, style etc.

#6 User is offline   Optimus Prime 

• Daylight Oblivion

Posted 15 January 2008 - 06:23 AM

Cold Iron;242976 said:

Setting, style etc.

Alright, I'll try to have something up by late tonight (Pacific time) or early tomorrow.

#7 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 15 January 2008 - 08:09 AM

I saw it in a shop a year ago or something but didn't want to start before all three were published... I hate to wait for the ending.

#8 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 15 January 2008 - 08:36 AM

I remember opening the first book at random and reading a page. The name of main character was used no less than eight times on a single page. That pretty much turned me off the book.. not that I'm picky or anything
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#9 User is offline   Tif the Barber Boy 

• Captain

Posted 15 January 2008 - 12:32 PM

I enjoyed Devices and Desires a great deal - certainly more than K. J. Parker's 'Fencer Trilogy'. I haven't the second book in the series yet.

Parker has a dense, busy style of writing. Her prose is workmanlike, but the dialogue is pretty good, particularly because she has a dry sense of humour. Its very difficult to find any kind of a 'good guy' in the book. Everyone is seasoned with shades of grey - some more than others. I suppose that gives it a dark, gritty feel. Cynicism abounds, but thankfully not in such great quantity that it sinks ones interest in what is happening.

#10 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 15 January 2008 - 05:07 PM

It's been recommended to me a few times but i'm waiting for the complete thing in mmpb.

- Abyss, cheap bastard.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#11 User is offline   Imperial Historian 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 15 January 2008 - 06:23 PM

I enjoyed the first book in the series, but I've not been inspired to buy the other books in the series. That said I've enjoyed everything I've ever read by her, and I enjoyed the gritty feel to the world she created... I can see why SE liked them, but they aren't quite my cup of tea.

#12 User is offline   Optimus Prime 

• Daylight Oblivion

Posted 16 January 2008 - 04:04 AM

So far it is enjoyable but the prose is very workmanlike as Tif says above. I'd heard it was very different from a lot of other "fantasy" and it is. K.J. Parker claims she doesn't write fantasy...which for a split second gave me the Terry Goodkind Diarhea...but I don't think she means it in the pompous, turd gurgling way that Shitkind means.

The characters are all very "grey" as well. The book does need a map though...only because in some of the first sections there are vast paragraphs describing the geography and it can be a little frustrating not to see it.

More as I continue reading. The conflicts right now are pretty elementary..waiting to see how they flesh out.

#13 User is offline   Valgard 

• Bored Microbiologist (not a good combination)

Posted 16 January 2008 - 10:31 AM

I must admit I have liked all her books and find her descriptions of the engineering and making of things which are a quite large part of the series very enjoyable but if you don't enjoy those then the books are just not for you. Her humour is very dry and absolutely hilarious in my opinion. I have read the whole series and enjoyed the whole thing from start to finish and would recommend continuing on if you have read and enjoyed the first one in the series.

I would also recommend her scavenger trilogy much better than the fencers triolgy. It follows around Poldarn a man who has lost his memory and his adventures through the world it is an extremely good read.

I would agree that she doesn't write traditional fantasy in that there is no magic in the world and every thing runs off the same physical laws of our world. It is fantasy in that the world is not our own the places and people are different even though those are the only changes.

#14 User is offline   maynard 

• Corporal

Posted 17 January 2008 - 12:52 AM

I like Parker. I've previously read the Scavenger trilogy and found it good. This trilogy I enjoyed as well. There are similarities, like her very long and detailed descriptions of crafting processes and such. I find them a bit too detailed at times but not enough to put me off. I have no other criticism. Definitely worth the money in my opinion.

#15 User is offline   caladanbrood 

• Ugly on the Inside
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 17 January 2008 - 04:59 AM

I remember seeing this in the shop millions of times and never quite buying it, there were always others that appealed more. Would still be the case really. It doesn't appeal enough to make me get it off the shelf and have a flick through, which is a deadly flaw for any book.
O xein', angellein Lakedaimoniois hoti têde; keimetha tois keinon rhémasi peithomenoi.

#16 User is offline   dreamscape 

• Recruit

Posted 17 January 2008 - 07:26 AM

according to wiki, KJ is a pseudonym of prolific british humour writer tom holt... havent read both, but the humour sounds similar in style

#17 User is offline   Imperial Historian 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 17 January 2008 - 05:15 PM

I'm pretty certain that KJ Parker is not Tom Holt, despite wikipedia's assertion to the contrary. I can't find any evidence that this anything other than a rumour. There writing styles really aren't that similar, and Holt already writes under the pseudonym Thomas Holt for historical fiction. If it is true Tom Holt is remarkably prolific author under just Tom Holt he releases 1 or 2 books a year, and KJ parker has been releasing one a year as well.

#18 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 17 January 2008 - 09:41 PM

I like Parker, I've never gotten into Holt... hmm.

I've read Devices and Desires, it's an odd one. It's got elements which are serious and ponderous etcs, but in other parts it's so stylized it comes off as whimsical. And every once in a while, for no real apparent reason, it goes off onto a passage of comedy that has me rolling on the floor.

It's odd, but I like it. Will be picking up the second and third soon enough.
I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

#19 User is offline   sinag55 

• Sergeant

Posted 20 January 2008 - 03:38 AM

I've been reading this for the past two weeks and I have to say I don't really care for much of it. I'm just reading on because I need to finish any book I started. I'm not really interested in the world or the characters and I find the machine explanations boring. I read this to have a break on my Malazan reread and now I wished I started Mieville's The Scar instead.

I have 7 chapters left, is there any kind of payoff in the end? Something that will make me finish the trilogy? I mean, it sucks to start a series and not finish it.

#20 User is offline   Optimus Prime 

• Daylight Oblivion

Posted 20 January 2008 - 03:46 AM

I'm about halfway through and I see what you mean. You either dig this stuff....or you don't....

i haven't decided yet :(

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users