• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2008: Malazan year?

#21 User is offline   Tattooed Hand 

• High Fist
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 13 January 2008 - 03:54 PM

Spindrift;242137 said:

Yeah, i have a special hatred for Hardbacks, and not just because of the price. :D
But it's good to see them finally trying to seriously promote him. Better late than never.

I have a hard enough time with trade paper backs - I just lugged Reaper's Gale through Thailand, Myanmar and am now in India with it. If it had been a hardback, I probably would have ripped the pages out of the binding and carried them loose leaf.

Plus, I know this won't happen, but any book I fork out for in hardback inevitably sucks.

#22 User is offline   Tattooed Hand 

• High Fist

Posted 13 January 2008 - 03:55 PM

Of course, that said. I'm buying it the minute it's out no matter what.

#23 User is offline   Chaos 

• High Fist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: (COPPA) Users Awaiting Moderatio

Posted 13 January 2008 - 05:40 PM

I like the hardback, I don't tend to read anywhere but at home because I get annoyed with anyone and everyone making noise. Like breathing ;) So big and durable is fine with me :(

Plus no way could I wait that long.

#24 User is offline   caladanbrood 

• Ugly on the Inside
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 13 January 2008 - 06:31 PM

I'll pop my TtH cherry with the hardback because I've waited long enough, and now I'm ready, but being changeable and contrary, i'll get rid of it when the newer, hotter model comes along...

Wait, did I just type that?:(
O xein', angellein Lakedaimoniois hoti têde; keimetha tois keinon rhémasi peithomenoi.

#25 User is offline   Dancer+ 

• A Driven Individual
  • Group: Team Handsome

Posted 13 January 2008 - 08:23 PM

I absolutely forbid you from throwing it away! You need to upkeep and expand your collection my friend.

I can't believe you would suggest such a thing, I'm going to have to keep you doing (cock) pressups until you get that thinking out of your head.

#26 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 13 January 2008 - 08:47 PM

Dancer;242275 said:

(cock) pressups until you get that thinking out of your head.

According to Tenacious D you only need to make one. It will totally impress the ladies.

EDIT: 2500th post... how very Apt.

#27 User is offline   pat5150 

• D'ivers

Posted 13 January 2008 - 09:22 PM

For those strapped for cash, I'll have at least one copy up for grabs for a giveaway.

Plus, with Erikson in the UK at that time, his publicist told me that she'll get me some signed books to give away! :(

Patrick
For book reviews, author interviews, giveaways, related articles and news, and much more, check out www.fantasyhotlist.blogspot.com

#28 User is offline   Folken 

• Never throw your life away so easily

Posted 14 January 2008 - 12:06 AM

You know what Folken demands a signed copy of Toll the Hounds...I shall inform the publisher of my demands. I'll probably get laughed at lol BUT it is worth a shot:D But this is good news at least this way the hardcover won't go out of stock like it did with Reaper's Gale. I actually had to put in a special request and they sent me one that was lying around in the office. Can you imagine these people have copies just LYING around...no respect...lol
<div align='center'>You must always strive to be the best, but you must never believe that you are - Juan Manuel Fangio</div>

#29 User is offline   Optimus Prime 

• Daylight Oblivion
  • Interests:Ranting and Raving. Being the biggest Liberal on this forum. Arguing with Cold Iron (and winning). Writing (struggling right now), reading, Georgia Bulldog FOOTBALL!<br /><br />And the lades, of course, always the ladies ;)

Posted 14 January 2008 - 02:18 AM

I have a signed copy of Reaper's Gale in hardback and I want all of them in Hardback eventually. I can't imagine anyone waiting 6 months because it comes out in hardback...I'd have withdrawals. Haha...just buy the hardback and copy every page..print them out...staple them together...and there ya go :(

#30 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 14 January 2008 - 03:13 AM

Dunno if this has been posted, but has everyone seen the TOR cover of Reaper's Gale?

Posted Image
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#31 User is offline   Cold Iron 

• I'll have some lasagna

Posted 14 January 2008 - 03:17 AM

damn thats bad

#32 User is offline   Spindrift 

• ###
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 14 January 2008 - 05:26 AM

QuickTidal;242436 said:

Dunno if this has been posted, but has everyone seen the TOR cover of Reaper's Gale?

Posted Image

It's not that bad. It would look a lot better if the typography was more in line with the Bantam releases, rather than some sort of cartoony early 90's fantasy type.

#33 User is offline   Optimus Prime 

• Daylight Oblivion
  • Interests:Ranting and Raving. Being the biggest Liberal on this forum. Arguing with Cold Iron (and winning). Writing (struggling right now), reading, Georgia Bulldog FOOTBALL!<br /><br />And the lades, of course, always the ladies ;)

Posted 14 January 2008 - 07:18 AM

Well TOR is the same publishing company that was responsible for all those dreadful WoT covers....at least in the US...there wasn't one good one...ever.

#34 User is offline   Dancer+ 

• A Driven Individual

Posted 14 January 2008 - 04:06 PM

It could be slightly worse...

But it could be a lot better.

#35 User is offline   ch'arlz 

• Lo-Fi Version

Posted 14 January 2008 - 04:27 PM

Is this a new synopsis for TtH from amazon.co.uk?:
"There is a saying in Darujhistan, the city of blue fire, that love and death shall arrive together, dancing...It is summer and the heat is oppressive. However the discomfiture of the small round man in the faded red waistcoat is not entirely due to the sun. Dire portents both plague his nights and haunt the city's streets like fiends of shadow. Assassins still skulk in alleyways, but the hunters have become the hunted. Hidden hands pluck the strings of tyranny like a fell chorus, and strangers have arrived. While the bards sing their tragic tales somewhere in the distance can be heard the baying of Hounds. All is palpably not well. And in Black Coral, where Anomander Rake, Son of Darkness rules, memories of ancient crimes are stirring, intent on revenge. Could it be that Love and Death are indeed about to arrive...hand in hand, and dancing? This new chapter in Erikson's monumental series is epic fantasy at its most imaginative and storytelling at its most exciting."
Shaken, not stirred.

#36 User is offline   Dancer+ 

• A Driven Individual

Posted 14 January 2008 - 07:32 PM

That's been around a while, for a couple of months. It was posted in the Reaper's Gale forum.

#37 User is offline   Folken 

• Never throw your life away so easily

Posted 14 January 2008 - 08:49 PM

We've all seen the original cover art by Todd, which in my opinion is probably the best in the series so far and the scene is rather accurate to the novel itself. However once again TOR has decided to completely butcher Todd's art work and dumb down the colors. No surprise it looks like crap, check out the RG board or todd's website to see a better version of the cover it looks so much better than this one.
<div align='center'>You must always strive to be the best, but you must never believe that you are - Juan Manuel Fangio</div>

#38 User is offline   Optimus Prime 

• Daylight Oblivion

Posted 14 January 2008 - 10:29 PM

What is this Todd's website Jen?

#39 User is offline   Cougar 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • View gallery
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 15 January 2008 - 09:22 AM

I wouldn't doubt the artistic merit of the picture, I think it's a fine illustration, my problem is that Ruin looks like 'a big gay elf', not a tall emaciated killing machine.

Oh, and Broody, you're a sad man, that last comment would have had Dr Freud in raptures.

"I think zat Brood ist over sexualising diese books"
I AM A TWAT

#40 User is offline   caladanbrood 

• Ugly on the Inside

Posted 15 January 2008 - 11:50 AM

Cougar;243030 said:

Oh, and Broody, you're a sad man, that last comment would have had Dr Freud in raptures.

"I think zat Brood ist over sexualising diese books"

It was that obvious?:(
O xein', angellein Lakedaimoniois hoti têde; keimetha tois keinon rhémasi peithomenoi.

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users