• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The death of the dollar.

#21 User is offline   Shinrei 

• charin charin
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 09 January 2008 - 05:22 PM

Great post. Where your first post had me puzzled, we are actually in full agreement.
You’ve never heard of the Silanda? … It’s the ship that made the Warren of Telas run in less than 12 parsecs.

#22 User is offline   Shinrei 

• charin charin

Posted 11 January 2008 - 05:49 AM

Not generally a glenn beck fan, but this was a really good piece. Our obligations are stacking on top of an already tanking economy. Almost makes me want to buy some land in the middle of nowhere and stock guns, ammo and canned goods.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=I-16u9x3tfE
You’ve never heard of the Silanda? … It’s the ship that made the Warren of Telas run in less than 12 parsecs.

#23 User is offline   Cold Iron 

• I'll have some lasagna

Posted 12 January 2008 - 05:41 AM

Pensions are a massive problem for every first world country, as well as China. I think India is going to surge ahead in the short term due to the lack of this problem there yet.

After setting up your fort in the middle of nowhere, i suggest you earn as much as you can and spend it, travel, live large, because all your cash and all your investments aren't going to be worth crap. Once that happens, retreat into your fort :D

#24 User is offline   Shinrei 

• charin charin

Posted 14 January 2008 - 05:17 AM

Got a place for me to stay in Sydney? I've always wanted to visit Australia, and we can wax poetic about the state of affairs in the world today over a cold one or two.

#25 User is offline   Cold Iron 

• I'll have some lasagna

Posted 14 January 2008 - 05:35 AM

Um... honey, I've invited a guy from the internet I know nothing about to stay with us for a while. Don't worry though, he's malazan...

I could recommend a cheap hotel :(

#26 User is offline   Shinrei 

• charin charin

Posted 15 January 2008 - 04:28 AM

Hey, I didn't say YOUR place! :(

#27 User is offline   Cold Iron 

• I'll have some lasagna

Posted 15 January 2008 - 04:54 AM

Actually i do know a guy with a spare room in his house.

#28 User is offline   Shinrei 

• charin charin

Posted 18 January 2008 - 03:51 AM

Gold is at $880 per ounce. Silver is over $16.00 an ounce. One dollar will buy you 107 yen where it would buy you 122 yen less than a year ago. (Sucks for me since I'm planning on moving back to Japan soon. My inevitable funds transfer from my US bank to a J bank will net me a lot less purchasing power.)

#29 User is offline   Cold Iron 

• I'll have some lasagna

Posted 18 January 2008 - 04:31 AM

Australian stock market is shedding. Due to "recession fears in the US"

#30 User is offline   wolf_2099 

• First Sword
  • I like cake.

Posted 18 January 2008 - 04:39 AM

I'll try and dig up the link, but the Chinese have bought up so much of the American debt, if they collected, they could single handedly crash and destroy the american economy... and a few other countries along with it.

The death of the dollar is bad for everyone except the individual consumer.
"HAIL THE MARINES!"

#31 User is offline   wolf_2099 

• First Sword
  • I like cake.

Posted 18 January 2008 - 04:41 AM

As far as my neck of the woods, it's cheaper for me to do almost all my shopping off amazon for clothes, etc with shipping, since canadian prices have started to reflect the change in the dollar.

This is, with the exception of books and comics, which over the last month have changed and been on par. chapters.ca is finally cheaper than going to barnes and noble online.

This is with shipping factored in, and credit card costs.
"HAIL THE MARINES!"

#32 User is offline   Cold Iron 

• I'll have some lasagna

Posted 18 January 2008 - 04:41 AM

wolf_2099;244321 said:

The death of the dollar is bad for everyone

Corrected

#33 User is offline   wolf_2099 

• First Sword
  • I like cake.

Posted 18 January 2008 - 05:04 AM

Cold Iron;244323 said:

Corrected

True, with a broad enough vision.

It's still nice when I go buy my weekly comics to have then 70 or 75 cents cheaper though, it adds up.
"HAIL THE MARINES!"

#34 User is offline   Cold Iron 

• I'll have some lasagna

Posted 18 January 2008 - 05:08 AM

wolf_2099;244332 said:

True, with a broad enough vision.

It's still nice when I go buy my weekly comics to have then 70 or 75 cents cheaper though, it adds up.

Yeah, except your paycheck might be 70 or 75 percent higher, if things were going well. It adds down too.

#35 User is offline   wolf_2099 

• First Sword
  • I like cake.

Posted 18 January 2008 - 05:16 AM

Cold Iron;244336 said:

Yeah, except your paycheck might be 70 or 75 percent higher, if things were going well. It adds down too.

You good sir, are assuming I have a real paycheck!

As a college student who works for straight cash, it doesn't bother me what so ever.

I unfortuantly realize how screwed I am when I graduate if this trend keeps up though.

Although, I will applaude the American banking system, thanks to them my parents manged to get a rock bottom priced condo in Florida I hope to use if I can ever find a way down there.

Anyone actually think that is going to better before it gets a lot worse?
"HAIL THE MARINES!"

#36 User is offline   Cold Iron 

• I'll have some lasagna

Posted 18 January 2008 - 05:19 AM

The worse the economy, the more bums there are, the more bums there are, the more people willing to do your job for less, the more people willing to do your job for less, the less you get paid. Our parents are the richest generation that will ever live.

Just hope they don't live so long you never get to see any of it.

#37 User is offline   wolf_2099 

• First Sword
  • I like cake.

Posted 18 January 2008 - 06:06 AM

Our parents need to be, considering the state pensions and, christ, I don't know what the terms are for Americans. Retirements funds from the government, pensions or what have you, that your taxes are paying for and that there will be none left when you are old enough to collect.

I agree with you completely, but funnily I live in Calgary, with more jobs open than we know what to do with, and we still have an obscene amount of bums wandering around our 1 prime downtown location, 17th ave, just because they don't want to work, despite the 7 eleven, or Tim Hortons are paying 10-15 bucks an hour, in some cases almost 20 for night shifts. Sorry for the run on sentence.

There will always be bums who won't work, and I'll always get them to do ridiculous things when I am walking home from the bar.

Wait, I got side tracked there didn't I?
"HAIL THE MARINES!"

#38 User is offline   Sir Thursday 

• House Knight
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 18 January 2008 - 01:54 PM

I didn't realise this was going on...the fall in value hasn't been going on for anywhere near as long as the dollar's has though, so the increased inflationary pressure won't be so apparent yet. Given the amount of goods we import (IIRC, the UK is a net exporter, but mainly because it exports services as opposed to goods), the average consumer is going to enjoy this for a while. Just hope it stops before it goes too far.

Sir Thursday
Don't look now, but I think there's something weird attached to the bottom of my posts.

#39 User is offline   Shinrei 

• charin charin

Posted 18 January 2008 - 07:01 PM

wolf_2099

When inflation hits, the things that rise in price the most quickly are the things people need, like food and energy. That will affect everyone.

#40 User is offline   Hume 

• Banned Like a Mushroom
  • Group: Banned Users

Posted 18 January 2008 - 10:24 PM

Fuck this thread is optimisitc.

I'll bump it in a few years when the 'economy has collapsed' ...

Yeh America is going to go through a recession. It will get out of it too. (I'd fucken put money on that.) But remember given the rise of other new powerhouse economies don't expect America's economy to always be the dominant one in the world.

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users