• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

College Football

#21 User is offline   Raymond Luxury Yacht 

• Throatwobbler Mangrove
  • Group: Grumpy Old Sods
  • Interests:Quiet desperation and self-loathing

Posted 21 June 2008 - 11:14 PM

Well, in a way I can see that it would be a bigger deal. The Browns have sucked for a long time, and it would be a reward for years of faithful, painful, fandom. The Buckeyes are in the mix for the championship nearly every year, or at least a top five finish. So, the year that the Browns win the Superbowl, I would agree that they would be a bigger deal that year.

My perception is influenced by the fact that i actually lived in Columbus. I'm sure the rabid Buckeye fans are more concentrated there.
Error: Signature not valid

#22 User is offline   Optimus Prime 

• Daylight Oblivion
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Ranting and Raving. Being the biggest Liberal on this forum. Arguing with Cold Iron (and winning). Writing (struggling right now), reading, Georgia Bulldog FOOTBALL!<br /><br />And the lades, of course, always the ladies ;)

Posted 22 June 2008 - 06:58 AM

Raymond Luxury Yacht;336003 said:

Well, in a way I can see that it would be a bigger deal. The Browns have sucked for a long time, and it would be a reward for years of faithful, painful, fandom. The Buckeyes are in the mix for the championship nearly every year, or at least a top five finish. So, the year that the Browns win the Superbowl, I would agree that they would be a bigger deal that year.

My perception is influenced by the fact that i actually lived in Columbus. I'm sure the rabid Buckeye fans are more concentrated there.

Oh well in Columbus, of course it's a bigger deal. My point is that in the Southeast, a college team (like LSU) is way bigger than the Saints winning it all. It will always be that way. Not that the Saints, or the Falcons, or whoever in the South winning the Superbowl wouldn't be big...it's just not college football way of life big.

#23 User is offline   Raymond Luxury Yacht 

• Throatwobbler Mangrove

Posted 22 June 2008 - 07:05 AM

Yeah, as far as football is concerned, Columbus seems like a little bit of the SEC that somehow got moved out of the south. Those people are crazy.

#24 User is offline   Optimus Prime 

• Daylight Oblivion
  • Interests:Ranting and Raving. Being the biggest Liberal on this forum. Arguing with Cold Iron (and winning). Writing (struggling right now), reading, Georgia Bulldog FOOTBALL!<br /><br />And the lades, of course, always the ladies ;)

Posted 22 June 2008 - 07:07 AM

We'll gut you like a pig boy if you say anything about them Georgia Bulldogs we don't take a likin to! heeyuck!

I'd also like to point out that UGA is on the verge of a College Baseball Championship :mad:

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO DAWGS! Sic em!

#25 User is offline   Raymond Luxury Yacht 

• Throatwobbler Mangrove

Posted 22 June 2008 - 07:15 AM

It's strange how popular college football is, but college baseball isn't. I know many baseball fans, and none of them watch college.

#26 User is offline   Optimus Prime 

• Daylight Oblivion

Posted 22 June 2008 - 07:23 AM

I watch the College World Series, but baseball is my 4th favorite major sport

Football
Soccer
Basketball
Baseball.

#27 User is offline   Raymond Luxury Yacht 

• Throatwobbler Mangrove

Posted 22 June 2008 - 07:58 AM

Me, it's

MMA
Football
Wrestling, which is hard to find on tv. (Real collegiate and olympic wrestling, NOT WWE)

Then a toss-up between Soccer, Baseball, Boxing, Rugby, Basketball. I'll watch any of them if they're on at someone else's house, but rarely watch them on my own unless it's finals or world cup or something.

But we need to get this thread back on topic before the ranking of our favorite sports hijacks the thread.

Ohio State has had a couple of backup QBs transfer, which means Pryor has a good shot of getting some playing time this year. The next Tebow? Better? Overrated flop? Hard to tell this early.

#28 User is offline   Binder of Demons 

• Lord of Light
  • View gallery
  • - Thread Killer -

Posted 22 June 2008 - 02:31 PM

I know ye'll be hoping they suck, but any idea just how sucky Notre Dame will be this year. As an Irish person that used to live in Chicago as a kid, I've always had a liking for them (South Bend is only a couple of hours away). I've been to the campus and seen the famous "Touchdown Jesus" and "First-Down Moses". But that arrogant clown Charlie Weiss is trying my patience. Are they going to be utter shite again do you think???

My actual University to support would be University of Chicago, as I lived on the campus as a kid, and worked there years later, but they have no sports teams worth mentioning. So i must place my college sports allegiance elsewhere. I will proclaim my dislike for USC though. They seem pretty arrogant to me.

It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt - Mark Twain

Never argue with an idiot!
They'll drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!
- Anonymous

#29 User is offline   Raymond Luxury Yacht 

• Throatwobbler Mangrove

Posted 22 June 2008 - 07:54 PM

Binder of Demons;336295 said:

I know ye'll be hoping they suck, but any idea just how sucky Notre Dame will be this year. As an Irish person that used to live in Chicago as a kid, I've always had a liking for them (South Bend is only a couple of hours away). I've been to the campus and seen the famous "Touchdown Jesus" and "First-Down Moses". But that arrogant clown Charlie Weiss is trying my patience. Are they going to be utter shite again do you think???

My actual University to support would be University of Chicago, as I lived on the campus as a kid, and worked there years later, but they have no sports teams worth mentioning. So i must place my college sports allegiance elsewhere. I will proclaim my dislike for USC though. They seem pretty arrogant to me.

They will probably be better than last year, but not much. I could be surprised here, but if they make it to a good bowl game I'll be very surprised.

#30 User is offline   paladin 

• House Knight

Posted 22 June 2008 - 08:13 PM

Raymond Luxury Yacht;336158 said:

Me, it's

MMA
Football
Wrestling, which is hard to find on tv. (Real collegiate and olympic wrestling, NOT WWE)

hard to find wrestling, but pancrase is on tv a lot. i watch some of the asian channels to see it(imaginasion, crap like that).

japanese baseball is on occassionally too, but i need the japanese language package to view the channel.. kind of a bummer really, id like to watch it

#31 User is offline   Optimus Prime 

• Daylight Oblivion

Posted 23 June 2008 - 04:41 AM

@Paladin. My maternal grandfather is Irish and he loved Notre Dame, so I've always rooted for them (after UGA of course).

I think Notre Dame will rebound nicely. I could see a 7-9 win season if things fall their way.

Now the next year is when all the pieces will be in place for a nice run. THey've finally gotten some speed athletes for Defense and the Offense will be fully mature.

I hate USC. So damn cocky. Great teams the last few years but they also play in a finesse conference with little attention to Defense. One and only time I ever rooted for Texas in anything was a few years ago. Beautiful.

#32 User is offline   Raymond Luxury Yacht 

• Throatwobbler Mangrove

Posted 23 June 2008 - 05:21 AM

Yeah, screw those guys. I hope Ohio State puts the hurt on them.

#33 User is offline   Optimus Prime 

• Daylight Oblivion

Posted 23 June 2008 - 05:25 AM

I will actually root for OSU that game....or root for a tie considering I don't care for either school (no offense to you of course, RLY :mad: )

I'm wondering if there is more dirt underneath the Reggie Bush "scandal". It wouldn't surprise me.

#34 User is offline   Raymond Luxury Yacht 

• Throatwobbler Mangrove

Posted 23 June 2008 - 05:29 AM

None taken. Not everyone can seem to recognize the greatness that is Ohio State, for some reason. Florida and LSU players especially don't buy the hype. I don't know why. :mad:

#35 User is offline   Optimus Prime 

• Daylight Oblivion

Posted 23 June 2008 - 05:33 AM

Maybe you guys can make it three losses in a row to SEC powers and get your ass beat by UGA :mad:

#36 User is offline   Raymond Luxury Yacht 

• Throatwobbler Mangrove

Posted 23 June 2008 - 05:56 AM

I can only hope. :mad:

#37 User is offline   Optimus Prime 

• Daylight Oblivion

Posted 23 June 2008 - 06:10 AM

As long as Florida doesn't win it......stupid Gators. Have 20 years of good football and all the sudden you're a powerhouse with tradition. Pre-Spurrier that school was a joke.

#38 User is offline   Raymond Luxury Yacht 

• Throatwobbler Mangrove

Posted 23 June 2008 - 06:17 AM

Screw Florida, Florida State, Miami, Michigan, and Texas. Boo these teams. BOOOO!!!!

#39 User is offline   Optimus Prime 

• Daylight Oblivion

Posted 23 June 2008 - 06:20 AM

I can agree to that.

The Big 10 needs to pick it up though...they've sucked it up the last decade'ish.

#40 User is offline   Raymond Luxury Yacht 

• Throatwobbler Mangrove

Posted 23 June 2008 - 06:28 AM

I don't know, I bet a lot of conferences wouldn't mind two national championships and two runners-up in that span of time. Of course, Once you get past Ohio State and MIchigan there might be a...slight dropoff in talent.

Share this topic:

• 16 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users