Malazan Empire: Anyone here get to see the Calzaghe-Kessler Unification bout - Boxing - Malazan Empire

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Anyone here get to see the Calzaghe-Kessler Unification bout - Boxing

#1 User is offline   Binder of Demons 

• Lord of Light
  • View gallery
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • - Thread Killer -

Posted 04 November 2007 - 08:32 AM

Just wondering if anyone here got to see the Calzaghe fight. I have to say I'm glad to have seen him win the fight and unify the belts, since he genuinely seems to be a nice guy, and quite respectful of his opponents.

I hope he does get his wish of fighting both Roy Jones Jnr and Bernard Hopkins before he retires, and smacks them both. Mainly because Jones was an amazingly arrogant git (and supremely talented too), that ducked most serious contenders, in addition to some other issues. And Hopkins is such a charmless person, I couldn't actually hope for him to win.

I still think Robin Reid won the first showdown with Calzaghe all those years ago, and I think he was lucky that he didn't get to fight Steve Collins when he wanted to (Calzaghe seemed to have real stamina problems back then, and with Collins' amazingly thick head, I believe Collins would have outpressured and outlasted him). Eubank in his prime would have been great too.

But while Calzaghe started out as a cocky young fighter he has matured and it's nice to see him trying to cement his legacy by fighting the biggest names he can get. I never thought 5 years ago that I'd be saying it, but I hope he remains undefeated and gets his wish.

It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt - Mark Twain

Never argue with an idiot!
They'll drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!
- Anonymous

#2 User is offline   Dancer+ 

• A Driven Individual
  • Group: Team Handsome

Posted 08 November 2007 - 10:34 AM

No I didn't.

- Cult of Dessembrae, couldn't leave the thread empty.

#3 User is offline   Thelomen Toblerone 

• Ascendant
  • Group: Team Handsome

Posted 11 November 2007 - 09:39 PM

Watched the bout when it was replayed Saturday afternoon on the Beeb.

I have to say, as good a boxer as Calzaghe undoubtedly is, I still think that if he was good enough to beat Hopkins and Jones then he would have made much lighter work of Kessler. Take Joe's technique from now and give it to his body from 3 years ago and he'd take them, but he just looks a bit sluggish to me come round 7 onwards now.

Still got the old granite chin though, Kessler must have been shocked as shit when he landed those uppercuts and Calzaghe didnt even blink. :p

#4 User is offline   Grumble 

• High Mage of High House HAWT
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 21 April 2008 - 07:39 PM

Hopkins V's Calzaghe turned out to be a real turkey ..... glad I only caught the repeat Sunday afternoon. Hopkins didn't even go for it when he had Joe down in the first and spent the rest of the contest holding, headbutting and faking injury by low blows. Joe at least made the effort to come forward and give the impression he was trying to win the fight.
What Would Jack Do ?

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users