Malazan Empire: How many immortal races in Malazan world? - Malazan Empire

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

How many immortal races in Malazan world?

#21 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 17 October 2007 - 09:33 PM

hmmm.. personally, I think that Tiste Andii are mortal, just ultra-long living... the reason why we assume that they are imortal is b/c we mostly see the ones that follow Rake--a special case with high probability of exposure to Draconean blood. Whereas the Andii elsewhere might not be so long-living...
The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

#22 User is offline   Zanth13 

• We are not the same
  • Group: Kings of Drink

Posted 17 October 2007 - 11:59 PM

Well we have seen

-examples of Edur not being immortal

-Old Tiste Andii (andarist) so that suggest they are not all immortal, probably just the Soletaken are.

-Jaghut seem immortal though we have only seen super strong ones (wasn’t Raist super aged when he was released and could only keep himself together because of great magic strength and will)

-FA seem to be immortal as they can survive with no food or water for ages.

-Karsa's people for sure age, but he is of weekend TTT blood.

There actually don’t seem too many Immortal races.
Gods
Ascendants
FA
Soletaken/divers (another path to ascendancy)
Jaghuts (maybe)
and other special situations such as Mappo being powered up/ and guardians of the Azath/ and demons.

Though at one point in DG it is mentioned Mappo might be close to ascension, I believe Icarium mentioned it when they were in/or near the Azath and it was reacting to them.
You can't find me because I'm lost in the music

#23 User is offline   Dolorous Menhir 

• God
  • Group: Wiki Contributor

Posted 18 October 2007 - 12:16 AM

Agree with most of what you say, but

xanth13;214788 said:

-Old Tiste Andii (andarist) so that suggest they are not all immortal, probably just the Soletaken are.

I like to think of it this way - Andarist was the second oldest Tiste Andii ever. And he still hadn't died of old age, had he?

-Jaghut seem immortal though we have only seen super strong ones (wasn’t Raist super aged when he was released and could only keep himself together because of great magic strength and will)

The Jaghut that Karsa met on the Jhag Odhan were not ultra powerful types, but they seemed to be quite capable of living forever.

-FA seem to be immortal as they can survive with no food or water for ages.

True, but it's hard to make any judgement from the two living (and confirmed) FA we've seen so far. Especially since both were held in sorcerous confinement for extremely long periods, so it's dubious whether we can apply the normal rules of aging to them. I'm inclined to agree with you and say that they are immortal though.

There actually don’t seem too many Immortal races.
Gods
Ascendants
FA
Soletaken/divers (another path to ascendancy)
Jaghuts (maybe)
and other special situations such as Mappo being powered up/ and guardians of the Azath/ and demons.

Nitpick - Gods, Ascendants and Soletaken are not races. They are positions that individuals can attain. If you meant to use a word other than race, then fine.

Though at one point in DG it is mentioned Mappo might be close to ascension, I believe Icarium mentioned it when they were in/or near the Azath and it was reacting to them.

Close to the time of their first meeting in DG, Iskaral Pust said that both Icarium and Mappo were on the edge of ascension, and had been for a very long time. But something was holding them back. For Icarium, that is clearly his memory problems. I would assume that Mappo is held back by Icarium, in some kind of sympathetic manner. At that point then, they were not ascendants. Since then, who knows?

#24 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 18 October 2007 - 01:36 AM

Dolorous Menhir;214792 said:

Agree with most of what you say, but

I like to think of it this way - Andarist was the second oldest Tiste Andii ever. And he still hadn't died of old age, had he?

well.. i must mention, that he DID have some of Tiam's blood in him.... that might affect the longevity... and yes, i know he "renounced" it, but don't think that's enough to actually purge it from his body...so he can still qualify as an exception
The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

#25 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 18 October 2007 - 03:08 AM

The interweaving of longevity and strong magical abilities makes guessing the trends of particular races hard to guess. Sure, all the Jaghut we've ever heard of lived a long time, and all were magic users. Could there be a non-magical Jaghut... probably not, but if so, would (s)he have the same "immortality"? It's hard to say with stuff like that. Contrarily, I'm sure a super-powered human can become immortal. The Bridgeburners had some magical induction from Raraku which made them live longer, while ST and Cotillion have immortality too, though they're also gods.

So anyway, the two are so intrinsically meshed together than I'm not sure we can, with all certainty, assign longevity to species like the TTT or soletaken... for now...

#26 User is offline   Zanth13 

• We are not the same
  • Group: Kings of Drink

Posted 18 October 2007 - 03:36 PM

right race wasnt the right word creatures/beings would work better.

Andarist was aged and Rake wasnt.... so the Andii can age is the key point there, and if you age enough you die (I think, though that statement might be stretching it in the malazan world)

From that we can assume that Tiams blood/ and by effect being Eleint makes you ageless.

Though to contradict myself, didnt Rake say that the problem with his race was that life had become stagnant because of living forever, so they pretty much just found a cause to fight for, to keep them occuppied.
You can't find me because I'm lost in the music

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users