Malazan Empire: Brandon Sanderson's "Mistborn" - Malazan Empire

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Brandon Sanderson's "Mistborn"

#41 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 04 January 2011 - 07:43 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 17 July 2009 - 03:32 AM, said:

So, I just finished Well Of Ascension and oh...my...god...was I bored by it. 700 pages (MMP) to say what could have been said in 100. Sweet jiggety jeebus. I thought Mistborn was so amazin and original, that Well Of Ascension just dissapointed me on all levels. Even the revelations at the end are boring. The characterization is lackluster at best (as mentioned by others).

Maybe Sanderson is a one book at a time standalone kind of gent...who knows, I just think that he should have made the series a duology with the second book (comprising the important bits from WOA and HOA) clocking in at the same length as Mistborn....just very sad that the second book was so boring.

Wow, what a difference a couple of years makes. LOL

Since I posted my boredom about the second book, I have revisited it and treated it NOT as a successor to the first book, but the start of a new two book series and I liked it much better. I found I had to treat the first one as the preliminary heist book that sets up all the huge worldbuilding in the second.

I have also, clearly, become something of a card-carrying Sanderson fanboy. I dug WARBREAKER and THE WAY OF KINGS was my fave fantasy of 2010.

I finally got around to starting the final Mistborn book, THE HERO OF AGES and for me, it is so amazing and much better than even my second (less upset) read of the second book.

Spoiler

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#42 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 10 January 2011 - 07:51 AM

Not going to read the thread due to possible spoiler exposure, but I just finished the first book yesterday and got started on The Well Of Ascension and... I haven't had such a good read in a long, long time.
Sanderson bravely burst right into my 'authors I actually like' bubble (with Sapkowski, Cook, Martin, Herbert and, of course, SE&ICE) and I honestly can't say if I liked Mistborn more than the...... the malazan books, or not. It's just so good. It doesn't have the epic scale and the worldbuilding isn't as detailed in some aspects, but HELL doesn't mr. Sanderson know how to pace a book. The flow of the story was quite astonishing, absolutely perfect. I couldn't get my eyes off the pages.
It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

#43 User is offline   drinksinbars 

• Soletaken
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 21 March 2011 - 01:33 PM

finished the trilogy at the weekend and i felt they worked really well as a trilogy. Plenty of harking back to earlier stuff and in general (despite the pacing issues in two and the obivousness of a lot of stuff) the book worked really well. a few moments where you wonder why the characters are so dense, but apart from that it was a highly enjoyable read.

#44 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 25 March 2011 - 04:14 PM

View Postdrinksinbars, on 21 March 2011 - 01:33 PM, said:

finished the trilogy at the weekend and i felt they worked really well as a trilogy.

I think this is the key to the enjoyment of the series. If you approach it as one book with three big parts it tells an amazing story when assembled. The books are good on their own, but they blew me away together.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#45 User is offline   RodeoRanch 

• The Midnight Special
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 11 April 2011 - 10:27 PM

Just finished reading the trilogy. Terribly dull stuff. And what a weak, lame ending. These were the first Sanderson books I've read and I was seriously disappointed.

#46 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 12 April 2011 - 06:19 AM

I will agree that the series is very slow and dull, it is very limited in scope and the passing is all wrong for my tastes, but I actually loved the way the book wrapped up.

Spoiler

#47 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert

Posted 12 April 2011 - 06:31 AM

Slow and dull? I thought it had nigh-perfect pacing, actually, and scene flow was spot on. I couldn't take my eyes away from book 1 and book 3 (sadly book 2 is lower quality than the other two)...
It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

#48 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 12 April 2011 - 07:15 AM

Spoiler

#49 User is offline   End of Disc One 

• House Knight

Posted 12 April 2011 - 12:34 PM

That's odd, I think that every scene in the Mistborn trilogy serves the plot. Except for the scenes about character development, but it was always obvious that those scenes were there to push the character through his/her personal arc. I find it strange that you thought there was no feeling of progress, because I simply did not get that feeling.

#50 User is offline   King Bear 

• Furry

Posted 12 April 2011 - 03:22 PM

I had many of the same concerns as Battle Plaptypus.

Spoiler

@Rodeo: I've only read Mistborn and Sanderson's WOT books. I read Mistborn first so was pleasantly surprised that his WOT books were actually very good. Because of my Mistborn experience though I'm apprehensive about reading Sanderson's other works. When you say that you liked his other books but not Mistborn, that makes me want to give him another shot. What would you recommend? The less like Mistborn the better, obviously.

Finally:

Quick Ben > Vin.

#51 User is offline   End of Disc One 

• House Knight

Posted 12 April 2011 - 03:45 PM

Quickie Ben I think The Way of Kings reads a lot like Sanderson's WoT books. Elantris on the other hand reads like Mistborn. Haven't read Warbreaker.

#52 User is offline   King Bear 

• Furry

Posted 13 April 2011 - 12:12 AM

View PostEnd of Disc One, on 12 April 2011 - 03:45 PM, said:

Quickie Ben I think The Way of Kings reads a lot like Sanderson's WoT books. Elantris on the other hand reads like Mistborn. Haven't read Warbreaker.

Thanks. I'll try Way of Kings sometime then, but only when it's complete. So what I mean is I'll get back to you in 10 years or so.

#53 User is offline   RodeoRanch 

• The Midnight Special
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 13 April 2011 - 04:45 AM

I did find the magic system high original and entertaining. But Apt nailed my main gripes with the books. So I guess Apt wins?

#54 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 13 April 2011 - 03:43 PM

I am hoping that he will pull of something not quite as epic in scope with the new stempunk mistborn novel, because the pacing felt very too slow for my taste, I would prefer something more simple like a story centered in one city, like a small revolution/civil war, gang war, what ever. Something that wont revolve around going to balls and pining over intellectual fobs.

#55 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 11 September 2011 - 10:21 PM

I finished the trilogy recently. I confess to disappointment. I quite liked the first one, despite not getting into the prose and finding Vin and Elend bland - Star Wars recast as a heist story with almost New Weird-esque trappings and the Belgariad's Silk as the centerpiece character? Yes please. But the second and third lost focus, for me.
Spoiler
and the large-scale magical plot, while interesting of itself, was badly paced and interspersed by sections which I found, by turn, to be sub-Abraham sociological/political and sub-Bakker philosophical stuff. And I still didn't get into the prose. The second one was okay but I ended up skimming large portions of the third.

I won't say I'm bugging out of Sanderson- his ideas are corking and as he keeps writing, he'll likely improve, but I'm very wary of his work now. I'm tempted by Way of Kings, but... :)
I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

#56 User is offline   champ 

• Omnipotent Overseer of the Universe

Posted 13 September 2011 - 08:30 PM

Is it worth reading the third when I wasn't thrilled with the first two?

/wonders if I am missing out...

Tehol said:

'Yet my heart breaks for a naked hen.'

#57 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 13 September 2011 - 09:10 PM

I dunno. I thought they got better and better, and was quite surprised at how many (all?) of the threads he set up -- things that didn't necessarily even seem like threads at the beginning -- all had payoffs. I wasn't overly fascinated with the mechanics of the magic system, though Sanderson clearly was (as were many readers I'd wager), but even the revelations in that regard caught me off guard in the third book. So while I wasn't totally thrilled with the story, I thought each volume improved on the premise and the writing opened up...he's got room for improvement storytelling-wise, and actually is improving. As far as being a technician though I was pretty amazed at what he accomplished by the end, it was A-level rewarding on that front.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#58 User is offline   Sinisdar Toste 

• Dead Serious
  • View gallery

Posted 13 September 2011 - 11:35 PM

personally, the third book was my favourite. i say you might as well go ahead and read it champ, because it's a nice smooth way to introduce yourself to the greater cosmere, and it finishes the trilogy in spectacular fasion.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

- Oscar Levant

#59 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 15 September 2011 - 03:27 PM

Third book was my fave too. In the end I was so emotionally attached that it got me misty-eyed.

#60 User is offline   Kanubis 

• Captain of Team Quick Ben

Posted 14 February 2012 - 11:43 AM

Ok, I finished these a week ago. The writing wasn't always great but the ideas were excellent, and even slight irritation at Vin and Sazed's whining internal monologue weren't enough to stop me being very hooked.

I have a problem though, and it's only played on my mind more over the last week rather than me forgetting about it:

Spoiler

...still enjoyed them though.
Captain of Team Quick Ben. Also teaboy.

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users