• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Malazan Book of the Fallen Adaptation

#1 User is offline   The_Khan 

• High Fist
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 16 May 2007 - 03:42 PM

Well, I've been holding off on Anomander Rake long enough :) Without further ado, here is the sketch of the Son of Darkness, which has been added to the link, enjoy :D

http://dabelbrothers.../dabel/malazan/

#2 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 16 May 2007 - 04:06 PM

linky no worky.

- Abyss, alas.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#3 User is offline   caladanbrood 

• Ugly on the Inside
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 16 May 2007 - 04:13 PM

Spectacular, as usual!

'byss, try putting a www. infront of it :)
O xein', angellein Lakedaimoniois hoti têde; keimetha tois keinon rhémasi peithomenoi.

#4 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 16 May 2007 - 04:17 PM

ahhh.. therewego.
Very nice.

- Abyss, www.inept.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#5 User is offline   Anomander 

• Wielder of Dragnipur

Posted 16 May 2007 - 04:34 PM

Very nice indeed, but I'm moving this to fanart. :)
And so the First denied their Mother,
in their fury, and so were cast out,
doomed children of Mother Dark.

#6 User is offline   The_Khan 

• High Fist

Posted 16 May 2007 - 05:47 PM

I'm sorry about that, I posted the link for you again. I'm happy you all like it! There will be more :)

www.dabelbrothers.com/ren/mz/

#7 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert

Posted 16 May 2007 - 06:20 PM

I think that's the best, or closely the best fanart I've seen so far. brilliant.
It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

#8 User is offline   caladanbrood 

• Ugly on the Inside

Posted 16 May 2007 - 06:28 PM

Hardly "fanart"...
O xein', angellein Lakedaimoniois hoti têde; keimetha tois keinon rhémasi peithomenoi.

#9 User is offline   blueworld 

• Recruit

Posted 16 May 2007 - 07:20 PM

caladanbrood;185884 said:

Hardly "fanart"...

Why? Is this for an official adaptation?

Those are some gorgeous sketches. I would love to see them colored and fleshed out!

#10 User is offline   Valgard 

• Bored Microbiologist (not a good combination)

Posted 16 May 2007 - 07:29 PM

The Anomander Rake was awesome very good definitely will get these ones when they come out.

#11 User is offline   The_Khan 

• High Fist

Posted 16 May 2007 - 09:46 PM

I'm happy that you like the Anomander Rake sketch, hope you also enjoyed the Great Raven in the background as well. I worked very hard with Mr. Erikson to make sure that the Son of Darkness was properly revised by the artist until he was pleased with the final product. The colors will come soon :) Don't you all worry there will be more character sketches coming so please stay tuned.

Oh one last thing, please refer the other Malazan fans on this forum to this thread as I will be placing all new artwork on this link. Thanks :D

#12 User is offline   caladanbrood 

• Ugly on the Inside

Posted 16 May 2007 - 10:10 PM

blueworld;185909 said:

Why? Is this for an official adaptation?

Yup:)

#13 User is offline   Bottle 

• Lieutenant

Posted 17 May 2007 - 12:22 AM

Hi I really like this one, although I imagined his face to be more slender, and for him to be a little taller (based on his proportions there).

I think your drawings are amazing and I couldn't do any better myself but..

I'm sorry I have to say I don't like some of your others, how close with SE are you working?

Apsalar does not look very "Asian" to me, and I like the Tattersail least of all. For me tattersail had a voluptuous figure, where although she was slightly overweight she was still somewhat attractive in her figure. Nothing like the mean buxom wench you have drawn.

And maybe I’m just making things up, but I'm very very sure GoTM described WJ with a handle-bar moustache, where as this seems more to fit in with the MoI description.

Like I said before you, you are an amazing drawer, I just have a few qualms for the way the characters look. And as a fan I think I'm entitled to give my opinion.

#14 User is offline   The_Khan 

• High Fist

Posted 17 May 2007 - 05:43 PM

Hi Bottle my friend, thank you for your feedback, I really appreciate it. One thing I want you to remember is that all sketches are subject to change. Mr. Erikson already spoke to me already about the revisions on Tattersail so he beat you to the punch already, lol. Apsalar will look very asian by the time she is drawn on the pages of the graphic adaptation. The sketches are actually a sort of reference that the artist will use when drawing the actual pages in the future, so they are a poor imitation of what the final renditions will be :)

As for Rake, you'll be able to see his true height within the pages of the graphic adaptation when he is standing next to other characters. I'm working very close with Mr. Erikson and you can believe me when I tell you that the final product will be a thing of beauty. If you want to see some of our other adaptations please feel free to check out my website www.dabelbrothers.com Thanks again for taking the time to post your thoughts, I really appreciate it and look forward to hearing more when I post other sketches :D

#15 User is offline   caladanbrood 

• Ugly on the Inside

Posted 17 May 2007 - 05:56 PM

Out of general interest Ernst, how long does a project like this normally take from concepts to release?

#16 User is offline   The_Khan 

• High Fist

Posted 17 May 2007 - 06:16 PM

Well, it's really hard to say Caladanbrood my friend, because the first order of priority is to get the sketches done first. We don't want to rush this process however, because we want to make sure that we make Mr. Erikson very happy before we move forward. For that I'm not sure how long it will take, because on Anomander Rake alone we literally spent two months working on getting it down to what you see and we still have to later on do colors and get it down perfectly. So this could take awhile, but it will be well worth it :)

#17 User is offline   Bottle 

• Lieutenant

Posted 17 May 2007 - 06:41 PM

The_Khan;186183 said:

Hi Bottle my friend, thank you for your feedback, I really appreciate it. One thing I want you to remember is that all sketches are subject to change. Mr. Erikson already spoke to me already about the revisions on Tattersail so he beat you to the punch already, lol. Apsalar will look very asian by the time she is drawn on the pages of the graphic adaptation. The sketches are actually a sort of reference that the artist will use when drawing the actual pages in the future, so they are a poor imitation of what the final renditions will be :)

As for Rake, you'll be able to see his true height within the pages of the graphic adaptation when he is standing next to other characters. I'm working very close with Mr. Erikson and you can believe me when I tell you that the final product will be a thing of beauty. If you want to see some of our other adaptations please feel free to check out my website www.dabelbrothers.com Thanks again for taking the time to post your thoughts, I really appreciate it and look forward to hearing more when I post other sketches :D

Your words truely warm my heart. I wish you the best of luck, and believe that the finished product will be awesome! I'm glad that these sketches are not the final drawings, but aknowledge if these are just concept sketches how jaw-dropping the finished product will be.

Oh and PS if you have time can you ask Steven Erikson if Whiskey Jack does have a handle-bar moustache? I don't know why but I'm actually desperate for him to have one! :

#18 User is offline   The_Khan 

• High Fist

Posted 17 May 2007 - 06:51 PM

I'm happy to hear that Bottle my friend :) Thanks, we need it so we can continue to give fans like yourself the best product that we can! I have a phone meeting with Mr. Erikson today and I will mention the handle-bar mustache to him as you requested, and I'll let you know what he says :D

#19 User is offline   caladanbrood 

• Ugly on the Inside

Posted 17 May 2007 - 06:58 PM

Bottle, I think you may be dissapointed - I can't find any reference to a mustache of any kind. Beard, yes, but nothing else described.

#20 User is offline   Bottle 

• Lieutenant

Posted 17 May 2007 - 07:45 PM

haha, thank you for asking Khan,

really no reference brood... hmm usually I'm really good at remembering the scant physical descriptions Mr SE scatters through the books... lol this has been driving me mad. And with exams all around I really can't find the time to read through GoTM again :)

Share this topic:

• 5 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users