Malazan Empire: Spoiler - Drift Avalii and he who must not be awoken - Malazan Empire

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Spoiler - Drift Avalii and he who must not be awoken

#1 Guest_Despot_*

• Group: Unregistered / Not Logged In

Posted 12 May 2007 - 06:20 PM

This is my first post. Hi to all the regulars.

We now know that the soul of Scabandari is not in or under Drift Avalii. So who or what must not be awoken?

There do not seem to be many obvious choices unless the Azath house that Bruthen Trana visits is connected to Drift Avalii and Andarist thinks that Killi is male - but I doubt this.

So who or what could make Andarist perk up from his endless derpression to get Cutter out of the underground chamber?

#2 User is offline   Shadow_God 

• Corporal
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 12 May 2007 - 10:52 PM

It's...Cthulu!
Seriously, though, good question. The only other character I can think of off the top of my head who "shouldn't be awakened" is Burn, but that doesn't make much sense in this context.

#3 User is offline   Dolorous Menhir 

• God
  • Group: Wiki Contributor

Posted 12 May 2007 - 11:06 PM

Burn is usually referred to as female though.

Can't really think of anyone else. As always there are the two zero-information Elder Gods, Sechul Lath & Grizzin Farl, as possibilities. I reckon Sechul Lath was the FA minding Kilmandaros under the sea, so that leaves Farl. At least that seems like a masculine name.

Unlikely, but Father Light would be another stab in the dark. Dessimbelackis. A male KCCM (I think Drift Avalii is a seaborne equivalent of the sky keeps). A dragon associated with Kurald Galain. That's all the known inactive males I can think of, even though they are all wild guesses.

#4 User is offline   Gem Windcaster 

• Bequeathed Overmind
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 13 May 2007 - 12:40 AM

Maybe it's someone we least expect. It would be cool if it was Quick Ben...or why not Fiddler? :p Let the crazy speculation begin! Btw, I now believe Quick Ben's soletaken form is KCCM. Watch out! :cool:
_ In the dark I play the night, like a tune vividly fright_
So light it blows, at lark it goes _
invisible indifferent sight_

#5 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 13 May 2007 - 03:29 AM

Seconding the FL vote.
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#6 User is offline   tiam 

• Ascendant
  • Group: Mott Irregulars

Posted 13 May 2007 - 08:10 AM

Dolorous Menhir;184355 said:

Burn is usually referred to as female though.

Can't really think of anyone else. As always there are the two zero-information Elder Gods, Sechul Lath & Grizzin Farl, as possibilities. I reckon Sechul Lath was the FA minding Kilmandaros under the sea, so that leaves Farl. At least that seems like a masculine name.

Unlikely, but Father Light would be another stab in the dark. Dessimbelackis. A male KCCM (I think Drift Avalii is a seaborne equivalent of the sky keeps). A dragon associated with Kurald Galain. That's all the known inactive males I can think of, even though they are all wild guesses.

Erm thats not Sechul Lath minding Kilamandaros. Its an FA for a start. I know they started the name with S but it seems likely that it was just an FA. He was called Knuckles aswell which means he that thing in the Cedance, a step on the way to the holds like knuckles and blade.

It seems to me that Knuckles hasnt got any worshippers left and decided to join his mother (Kilamandaros is now fairly certain to be mother of FA) in an Azath. I actually thought that was quite funny how Kilamandaros could have got out the Azath to attack Rake again so Knuckles gave her unsolvable puzzles.

#7 User is offline   GardenGnome 

• Emperor

Posted 13 May 2007 - 10:17 AM

The name of the extra-jointed creature in the Azath started with Setch (see page 640). Thus, it can't be Sechul Lath, unless there has been some sort of change in pronunciation (happens over the millenias, but no other examples of it happening in SE's world - wait, all those First Empire words... my bad). Also, why would an elder god(dess?) be FA?

As for being asleep on Drift Avalii - we're just guessing here, but let's look at Dolorous Menhir's list of powerful males AWOL:

Sechul Lath
Grizzin Farl
Dessimbelackis
Various dragons
Father Light
Living male KCCM, so that a Matron can again start producing offspring (unlikely, and besides we know the KCCM are active after all)

None of these really stand out as likely, in my mind. That is, there's nothing pointing to any of these actually being there, but then again there's nothing saying they're not. Some other entity we haven't heard of yet?

#8 User is offline   Dolorous Menhir 

• God

Posted 13 May 2007 - 11:54 AM

GardenGnome;184436 said:

The name of the extra-jointed creature in the Azath started with Setch (see page 640). Thus, it can't be Sechul Lath, unless there has been some sort of change in pronunciation (happens over the millenias, but no other examples of it happening in SE's world - wait, all those First Empire words... my bad). Also, why would an elder god(dess?) be FA?

"Setch-" seems pretty close to "Sechul" to me. It's the only reason I suggested it was Sechul Lath at all. Given variations like

Ardatha/Ardata
Osserc/Osric
Treach/Trake
Anomander/Anomandaris Rake/Irake/Purake/Dragnipurake

a difference of one "t" seems acceptable. Sechul Lath could be an immediate child of Kilmandaros who had a god status among the FA, in the same way as the sadly deceased Tiste sisters.

Posted 13 May 2007 - 12:04 PM

It is Sechul Lath, son of Kilmandaros and is also known as Knuckles - see the glossary of Midnight Tides - one of the Fulcra.
As for whom it is asleep on Drift Avalii - I expect we might even find out at some point.

#10 User is offline   Dolorous Menhir 

• God

Posted 13 May 2007 - 12:13 PM

Is that insider information, Hetan?

#11 User is offline   GardenGnome 

• Emperor

Posted 13 May 2007 - 12:15 PM

Sounds like it...

"Setch-" seems pretty close to "Sechul" to me. It's the only reason I suggested it was Sechul Lath at all. Given variations like

Ardatha/Ardata
Osserc/Osric
Treach/Trake
Anomander/Anomandaris Rake/Irake/Purake/Dragnipurake
You know, I somehow managed to forget all those, so yeah, you're right. Interesting, a son of an elder goddess is also an elder god - does this mean Spite and Envy are also potential elder gods?

Posted 13 May 2007 - 12:36 PM

Dolorous Menhir;184450 said:

Is that insider information, Hetan?

Nope... it's taken directly from the books :p

#13 User is offline   GardenGnome 

• Emperor

Posted 13 May 2007 - 12:39 PM

Would you be interested in giving specific page references and so on? Where does it say for certain that he is Sechul Lath? I checked in the MoI glossary, and couldn't find anything there...

Posted 13 May 2007 - 12:58 PM

Just read that bit again Gnome.. P 640 or wherever it is..
Kilmandaros started to call him by his full name and he stopped her..

Midnight Tides glossary lists Knuckles - and now we know whom he is.

You also asked why would a FA be an eldergod? - Kilmandaros is a FA and an elder goddess.

#15 User is offline   GardenGnome 

• Emperor

Posted 13 May 2007 - 01:02 PM

She calls him Setch- then gets broken off. We then learn that this Setchwhatever is Knuckles from the Fulcra (at least we can more or less safely assume so, as we know the FA is the Fulcra, Mael says so in MT). However, there's still no positive identification of Setch/Knuckles as Sechul Lath. On the other hand, it's the only name I can think of that fits, and I doubt SE would've dropped a name we've never heard of before.

Anyway, about races and EG: What does that make Krul, Draconus etc? Are they human? Imass? I sorta assumed Elder Gods didn't belong to any race, allthough Kilmandaros mothered the FA.

#16 User is offline   Dolorous Menhir 

• God

Posted 13 May 2007 - 01:03 PM

Hetan;184460 said:

Just read that bit again Gnome.. P 640 or wherever it is..
Kilmandaros started to call him by his full name and he stopped her..

All right, that's all I was going on too. It's just you were presenting it as fact, and I wasn't that sure about it. But I am now.

Posted 13 May 2007 - 01:05 PM

This is no longer on topic... if you want to discuss the Fulcra we could open another thread :p

#18 Guest_Despot_*

Posted 13 May 2007 - 02:49 PM

This has gone quite a ways off topic. So Hetan...do you know who/what might be sleeping on the cursed floating island? I'm not asking for a name just a hint that we will find out eventually.

Posted 13 May 2007 - 02:54 PM

I can happily reply that I am as in the dark as the rest of you :p
I don't even think there were any hints from the Drift Avalii Andii on that point either.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users