Malazan Empire: The Comics Thread! - Malazan Empire

• 117 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Comics Thread! SLAM! WHAM! KA-BOOM! KER-SPLODE!!!

#21 User is offline   Valgard 

• Bored Microbiologist (not a good combination)
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 18 December 2006 - 11:45 AM

I also only really got into the comics in the last 3 years and can't afford to many as they are to pricey but so far I have got

The complete Sandman series with the two death stories as well

The first 10 Lucifer comics (I really like these ones they are great not quite up to sandman standards but still enjoyable).

I have the first 5 preacher books but I don't really like them can't stand rthe preacher he is a twat.

I have a variety of one offs like fathom and Ascend (really attractive comic beautifully done about three angels not much story but the artwork is incredible). I also have 3 of the darkness series which is cool so far even though I like the bad guys more than the hero.

I can heartily recommend the dungeon series starting with duck heart, which is just side splittingly hilarious (these are hard to find as only a few have been translated into english from the original french).

I also started reading stormriders and heaven sword, dragon sabre by wing shing ma. These are chinese comics depicting a fantasical wushu world with magic kung fu they are very good but they are quite pricey and it is taking a while for it to be translated.

When I was younger I read a lot of french comics tintin, Alix, and of course Asterix and Obelix

I think that if you want a truely brilliant series of comics you can look no further than asterix and obelix the jokes and puns carry over no matter which language they are being written in.

#22 User is offline   Whelp 

• Fist

Posted 18 December 2006 - 01:24 PM

Valgard;145583 said:

I think that if you want a truely brilliant series of comics you can look no further than asterix and obelix the jokes and puns carry over no matter which language they are being written in.

Agree.

#23 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 18 December 2006 - 02:11 PM

In Asterix, that's down to some sublime translation - having read the English and Polish versions of most, I can say that the puns and things aren't actually the same (seemingly obvious, but you wouldn't believe how often translators miss things and translate literally), but they all hold the same meaning and atmosphere. I imagine the French is at least as good, seeing as that was the original. That's no mean trick to pull off.

Can't argue with Ellis and Gaiman as best writers, also having Moore, Vaughan (Ys and Ex Machina), and Grant Morrisson on my list.
As artists go, I don't know that many, but Hitch and Cassaday stand out for me. Hitch is a bit panels-on-a-page but has decent composition of the panels and is absolutely stunning at drawing them. Cassaday is more traditional comic-style, but in Astonishing X-Men and Planetary he's inventive with his style, while still being great at drawing (this was my major bugbear with the art in Sandman - the composition of shots and use of clever variations was usually great, but the actual drawing was lacking far too often, and the colouring was poor, especially at the start).
I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

#24 User is offline   Valgard 

• Bored Microbiologist (not a good combination)

Posted 18 December 2006 - 03:02 PM

I just want to add for asterix and obelix that according to my father who worked as a translator in the EU for 30 odd years and speaks about 12 languages according to him all his collegues are incredibly impressed by the level of translation that goes into each comic from them. An expample is the dog in english he is called dogmatix (from dogmatic so unwilling to look at your beliefs in a unchallenging way) in french the dog is called ideefix (there should be an accent on the first e but my work computer can't do those), which literally translates as fixed ideas. This is the same idea as dogmatix an award should go to the people that did the translations from the comics defiantely

#25 User is offline   Werthead 

• Ascendant

Posted 18 December 2006 - 06:00 PM

Just a report from some news I reported to another forum:

The New York Daily News has published a feature on the Dabel Brothers, a group of comic book writers and artists who are adapting fantasy works into graphic novels. They've already completed adaptions of George RR Martin's The Hedge Knight and a double-bill of Tad Williams' The Burning Man and Raymond E. Feist's The Wood Boy, and are currently working on adaptions of Robert Jordan's New Spring, Raymond E. Feist's Magician and GRRM's The Sworn Sword, the sequel to The Hedge Knight and, like it, a prequel to A Song of Ice and Fire. They are also adapting Laurell K. Hamilton's Anite Blake: Vampire Hunter stories into graphic novel form.

Very interesting article, noting that the Dabel Bros are now partnered with Marvel, meaning that they should have a much higher distribution and profile from now on.

And they also post here occasionally. I could be misremembering, but I think they had some plans to do some Erikson-related projects as well.
Visit The Wertzone for reviews of SF&F books, DVDs and computer games!

"Try standing out in a winter storm all night and see how tough you are. Start with that. Then go into a bar and pick a fight and see how tough you are. And then go home and break crockery over your head. Start with those three and you'll be good to go."
- Bruce Campbell on how to be as cool as he is

#26 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 18 December 2006 - 08:01 PM

One of the Dabel Bros posts here regularly. He was musing about one day doing a Malazan book, but no further than that.

I think the Anita Blake series is already being pub'c in monthly/floppy form.

I missed WATCHMEN in my original list but it really should be in there. Watchmen always left me in awe of the story and characters, but somewhat dissappointed in the big-bad's overarching master plan. Still well worth the read tho'.

- Abyss, watches the Watchmen.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#27 User is offline   Kage-za 

• Captain

Posted 19 December 2006 - 04:02 PM

griffith;145085 said:

Berserk by Kentaro Miura - manga + gritty fantasy = win. Complex characters, grand story and beautiful (and brutal) art.

Berserk is explicit enough that they won't sell it to kids here. Pretty intense.

I am totally throwing in a few oranges among the apples here, but One Piece #44 was a very satisfying conclusion to a loooooong story arc. Full-Metal Alchemist #15 on the other hand was entirely backstory... meaning I have my fingers crossed for some new plot development when the next volume comes out in March.

I will quietly go back to manga dork land and close the door behind me now.

#28 Guest_chani_*

• Group: Unregistered / Not Logged In

Posted 19 December 2006 - 05:35 PM

i was wondering when someone would mention some manga! I'll join you in manga-dork land ... everything i could add to this list would fall into that category anyways!

although, i did get the comic pathfinder recently as a gift - not much for dialogue or storyline, but really interesting style and art.

#29 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 20 December 2006 - 03:52 PM

Anyone seen/read/liked/hated the new stuff from Virgin Comics (7 Brothers, etc...)?

- Abyss, curious.

#30 User is offline   stone monkey 

• I'm the baddest man alive and I don't plan to die...
  • Group: Grumpy Old Sods

Posted 21 December 2006 - 11:15 AM

I would have contributed more...but I've been ill.

As to the 300 question; I have the floppies, it's great stuff, massively overblown and macho (like all of Miller's recent work) but immensely great fun. I've seen of the trailer and it would appear that the film resembles the comic in much the same way as Sin City did.

Someone mentioned Grant Morrison's JLA run, which is outsanding tradition superheroics and I'd advise you to read them all (I bought 'em as floppies) - I'd particularly recommend the Rock of Ages storyline which starts off as simply fun and clever and then for the finale accelerates at hyperlight speeds to astonishing and absolutely mental (including the best characterisation of Darkseid ever, plus the obliteration of the Universe). It also leads into DC One Million which is probably the most fun I've had reading a Summer Event ever (Intelligent, evil artificial stars, a future Superman punching his way through time, a Green Lantern locking a supernova explosion in a safe and an 80,000 year long ambush. What's not to like?) I've loved almost everything GMs done since the days of Zenith

Other stuff I'm reading includes this:
Posted Image
"Plato Smash!" is all I have to say on the subject.

As for manga - has anyone but me read 2001 Nights or Sanctuary?

My list (like my book lists) could have been expanded beyond measure as I've been reading comics since 2000AD was in single figures.
If an opinion contrary to your own makes you angry, that is a sign that you are subconsciously aware of having no good reason for thinking as you do. If some one maintains that two and two are five, or that Iceland is on the equator, you feel pity rather than anger, unless you know so little of arithmetic or geography that his opinion shakes your own contrary conviction. … So whenever you find yourself getting angry about a difference of opinion, be on your guard; you will probably find, on examination, that your belief is going beyond what the evidence warrants. Bertrand Russell

#31 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 11 January 2007 - 09:06 PM

I just found out there's a comic character on a superhero team called Dog Welder. He welds dogs to people's faces.

Really.
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#32 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 11 January 2007 - 09:39 PM

stone monkey;146219 said:

...- I'd particularly recommend the Rock of Ages storyline which starts off as simply fun and clever and then for the finale accelerates at hyperlight speeds to astonishing and absolutely mental (including the best characterisation of Darkseid ever, ....

And includes one scene, which i will SPOIL PROTECT, which may have been the greatest moment in JLA comics ever...

Spoiler

- Abyss, always liked Darkseid as a villain.

#33 User is offline   Falco 

• First Sword

Posted 12 January 2007 - 03:48 AM

My local library has some CrossGen comics stuff. I was sad to Wikipedia them and see they'd gone out of business, some interesting ideas in there and some pretty decent art too.

#34 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage

Posted 12 January 2007 - 12:25 PM

I spent too much money in the last few days on comics which are merely okay.
I bought Alan Moore's run on Wildcats, which is good but so of it's time, plus Infinite Crisis and it's companion, which I spent 26 quid on only to find (a) it's really crowded and (;) I need to spend even more to get the best. And I don't have lots. And I bought that instead of starting Morrisson's aforementioned JLA run, on the basis that I'd read a lot of that before. I'll probably pick some of that up when I go in to get the first volume of Astro City that they've ordered in for me next week, because it's far too awesome. Goes along with Ellis's Stormwatch and Authority and The Ultimates now as my favourite superhero runs. Though admittedly I don't read that many superhero comics.
BatGod's taken a bit too far in it, I have to say. But it's rather cool nonetheless.
I also bought Identity Crisis and the latest Fables though, and those are wicked. Especially Identity Crisis, that really is an amazing story.

#35 User is offline   mxlm 

• Lieutenant

Posted 12 January 2007 - 10:22 PM

Eh, the ending of Identity Crisis was immensely frustrating. Not sure if you've finished it, so I won't spoil, but...well, I was glad I downloa--er, borrowed from a friend--the issues instead of buying them.

Just one of those endings that made me ask, "What, are you serious? That's the twist? Go away and leave me be."

#36 User is offline   councilor 

• High Fist

Posted 13 January 2007 - 10:32 AM

heh, one of those endings huh? listen, if you need a lynch mob, i can arrange one...

anyway, 100 bullets anyone? one hell of a good comic...
Question:

Does being the only sane person in the world make you insane?

If a tree falls in the woods and a deaf person saw it, does it make a sound?

#37 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage

Posted 13 January 2007 - 01:52 PM

Yeah, I've finished Identity Crisis. Thought the twist was acceptable, even if nothing special. It worked in the story.

I've read some of 100 bullets, but it's not high on my buying list. Though I probably will at some point.
You read Desolation Jones? By Warren Ellis, it's similarly dark and fucked up. One trade out so far.

#38 Guest_Sonnyboy_*

• Group: Unregistered / Not Logged In

Posted 14 January 2007 - 02:26 AM

Falco;150531 said:

My local library has some CrossGen comics stuff. I was sad to Wikipedia them and see they'd gone out of business, some interesting ideas in there and some pretty decent art too.

Crossgen was really really good. It's a shame that the comics business can be so ****ty sometimes. I bought almost everything they published from day one, and my love for comics died with them. It still hurts a little that I'll never see the end of the Negation War...

Also, the Crossgen message boards was the first online community I ever belonged to. It was an awful lot like this one, actually. I still kind of miss some of the people there.

#39 User is offline   stone monkey 

• I'm the baddest man alive and I don't plan to die...
  • Group: Grumpy Old Sods

Posted 15 January 2007 - 02:31 PM

Re: Identity Crisis ("tiny footprints in my brane" - became something of a meme over at I Love Comics)and the total clusterfuck that was Infinite Crisis(Superboy punches the universe? Good grief!) have underwhelmed me no end. And Civil War has left me cold.

Actually, I've another question for you all: If you do spandex, and it's the guilty secret of all comic book readers - in the west at least - that at some time we all have, are you a Marvel or DC person?

I'm a DC man myself, although in my teens I was a Marvel Zombie.

Over at The Absorbacon they point out that the DC Universe has the physics dial turned up to 11 and tends to deal in archetypes, whereas the Marvel universe, at least some of the time, tries to mirror reality (sort of). Either of these things can appeal to you at different points in your life - when I was young I wanted the "relevant" Marvel heroes who dealt with "real world stuff"; the Claremont/Byrne X-Men using mutants as a direct analogy for racial minorities struck a particular chord with me iirc. Now that I'm older and jaded I like the wild, escapist, imaginative stuff; All-Star Superman for instance.
If an opinion contrary to your own makes you angry, that is a sign that you are subconsciously aware of having no good reason for thinking as you do. If some one maintains that two and two are five, or that Iceland is on the equator, you feel pity rather than anger, unless you know so little of arithmetic or geography that his opinion shakes your own contrary conviction. … So whenever you find yourself getting angry about a difference of opinion, be on your guard; you will probably find, on examination, that your belief is going beyond what the evidence warrants. Bertrand Russell

#40 User is offline   Falco 

• First Sword

Posted 15 January 2007 - 04:45 PM

Sonnyboy;150980 said:

Crossgen was really really good. It's a shame that the comics business can be so ****ty sometimes. I bought almost everything they published from day one, and my love for comics died with them. It still hurts a little that I'll never see the end of the Negation War...

Also, the Crossgen message boards was the first online community I ever belonged to. It was an awful lot like this one, actually. I still kind of miss some of the people there.

Sucks. I didn't even realise they'd gone under till I tried the website printed in the books and got one of those domain-selling sites. Reading the Wikipedia article was a sucker-punch.

Share this topic:

• 117 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users