• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Music

#12141 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 03 April 2023 - 07:17 PM

Random one

We were in a wee cafe somewhere a while back and they were playing a super awesome mix of metal songs, but they were really chilled acoustic versions by random artists. Like some woman doing a great take on enter sandman etc.

trying to get a playlist together for background music at the wedding party.

Now the problem, googling for chilled metal covers or anything like that just gives me a load of metal covers of popish songs OR metal bands doing acoustic versions of their own stuff.

anyone any ideas to how I find this particular stuff?

#12142 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 05 April 2023 - 03:24 PM

Um....Donovan Woods. You're welcome. This guy's songwriting skills are NEXT LEVEL. My gods. so proud this guy comes from Sarnia in Ontario.

Dig into this guys discography, it's WORTH it.

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#12143 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 18 April 2023 - 10:23 PM

If you heard the new Drake and The Weeknd song last weekend on social media, you may be surprised to hear the whole song, including vocals, was generated by AI.

[...] Heart on My Sleeve has accumulated over 8 million views on Ghostwriter977's TikTok account alone, with reposts on other sites also accumulating millions of views.

[...] The song sounds like a genuine collaboration the artists put out -- and a good one at that.

[...] got taken down from all music streaming platforms, including YouTube, because of copyright infringement claims.

[...] Fans are so passionate about the song that they have taken it upon themselves to download and repost the song on TikTok, YouTube, and other platforms.

[...] Ghostwriter977 commented, "I was a ghostwriter for years and got paid close to nothing just for major labels to profit. The future is here."

An AI-generated song featuring The Weeknd and Drake went viral. Now music labels are scrambling

Easily my favorite Drake song. 'Got my heart on my sleeve with a knife in my back'---well that's two cliches, but it's still a nice combination. A knife in the back of my heart on my sleeve? My heart on your sleeve sticking a knife in the back of my foot in my mouth mumble-in?...

#12144 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 19 April 2023 - 12:02 AM

If any of y’all in the UK want to hear a really, really talented dude, Zach Bryan is touring Europe right now.

https://youtu.be/QkbTfStD-WA

https://youtu.be/-s5-VXG7Qio
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#12145 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 23 April 2023 - 03:39 PM

Two soundsets I'm considering while they're on sale:

My Seaboard playing is a lot less 'conservative'....

#12146 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 25 April 2023 - 07:29 PM

Today I learned that the hardest instrument of all time is, in fact, the Hurdy-Gurdy.
I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

#12147 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 05 May 2023 - 04:10 PM

Free virtual instruments (for free Sforzando player):

Big Rusty Drums: 1980s drum kit made in Poland. Big and rusty, indeed. Download

Unruly Drums: A drum kit with three snares in various sizes and a kick which also has snare wires. Download

Swirly Drums: Brushed drums and percussion. Download

Frankensnare: Collection of snare drums from tiny to oversized. Download

Sneakybass: Very quiet double bass pizzicato. Download

Black And Green Guitars: Two hollowbody electric guitars. Download

Horse Pulse: Bass tagelharpa played pizzicato. A bonus freebie created while working on our Three Tagelharpas. Download

Virtuosity Drums: Made in collaboration with Versilian Studios, a jazzy drum kit and General MIDI percussion. Download

The Hat With The Phat: Two ride cymbals adding up to a giant hi-hat. Download

Free samples from Karoryfer – Karoryfer Samples

Free auditory illusion infinity filter (requires you to create a free account):

Utilizing the same algorithms that sound designers use to create shephard tones / risset filters, Sweep uses a bunch of filters to make your sound feel like it’s rising (or falling) endlessly.

In Sweep’s case, the left and right channels can be split and controlled separately for a more complex, stereo aware sweeping effect.

Sweep | Filter Plugin | Free (lootaudio.com)

#12148 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 10 May 2023 - 04:43 PM

Free virtual grand piano 'sampled in a cinematic hall with 3 microphone positions' for the free Kontakt 7 Player:

The Creative ToolboX: Steinway Grand Piano (strezov-sampling.com)

#12149 User is offline   Serenity 

• Saki!!!!!

Posted 29 May 2023 - 03:20 PM

#12150 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 29 May 2023 - 03:51 PM

This fucking song is an ANTHEM....holy shit. I can't stop listening or get it out of my head. The chorus gives me chills every time.

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#12151 User is offline   ContrarianMalazanReader 

• Fist

Posted 01 June 2023 - 05:23 AM

"Good" by Better Than Ezra is perhaps the most joyful break-up song ever.

#12152 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 09 June 2023 - 07:21 PM

Free for a limited time:

The Roland Juno-60 has been used by a plethora of famous bands, producers and artists such as Enya, The Cure, Sean Lennon, Astral Projection, Vince Clarke, Men at Work, Flock of Seagulls, Howard Jones, Eurythmics, Billy Idol, The Cure, INXS, Ultravox, Nik Kershaw and many others.

Syntronik Instruments J-60 by IK Multimedia - Audio Plugin Deals

Note that after you download that you should make backups because they'll want to charge for subsequent downloads after the first.

Also free for a limited time (for free Kontakt Player, none of that charging for subsequent downloads bullshit):

Indie Melodica

[...] While the melodica is capable of a myriad of musical styles, our favorite use of the instrument is within indie rock/folk. Whether it’s chordal swells during a chorus or lyrical phrases between verses, the melodica adds a unique, sweet texture in a small form factor.

Key Features:

- Three octave natural playable range, extended to fill the entire keyboard.

- Phase locked samples for seamless morphing between three dynamic layers.

- Two mics to choose between for different tonal colorations.

- Realistic dynamic thinning when playing multiple notes.

Indie Melodica :: Orange Tree Samples

No demo for the Indie Melodica but here's an explanation of what a melodica is:

[...] it's like a big harmonica with keys [...]

https://www.youtube....rts/-hB3GSy2owg

#12153 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 12 June 2023 - 02:16 PM

My mom's birthday today...missing her....being kept company by this album and this song.

#12154 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 12 June 2023 - 02:47 PM

the art of the juxtaposition, the mixture of registers that would be straightforwardly comical if it were not so often poignant[...] "My father sits slumped in the deepening snow / As I search in and out, above, about, and below"; or in [...] "More News from Nowhere": "He asks me for my autograph / I write 'nobody' and then / I wrap myself up in my woolly coat / and I blind him with my pen." [like Odysseus with Poly-famous ...] conjures an image from his internal world [...] then projects it into the eternal mythological register of a Rumi or a Homer.

[I thought 'And I ... hope and I pray' was 'And I ... open a grave / But it grows darker with the day']

[...] Much archaic poetry seems surprisingly hung up on such vivid phenomena as the sight of a deer's viscera pouring from its underbelly when it is cut open by the knife of a hunter. [...]

"I think on the most fundamental level he introduced me to primitive poetry," Nick told me [...] "[...] there was a change in my writing[...] with me reading Technicians of the Sacred." [...] "In Technicians of the Sacred, to my shame, I read my first Indigenous poetry. Even though I'm Australian, I hadn't really read any of it."

[...] "reminded me of the Psalms themselves. They were these religious poems, [...] or spiritual or ritual poems, that were deeply violent and at the same time songs of praise, and I think that fed into something that I was blindly reaching around for… an extraordinary enmeshment of style and time, and [of] the mundane and the cosmic… It just blew my mind." He pauses. "I mean, it's like the fundamental… the fundamental violence of things."

[...] this is what the censorious prudes of Left and Right consistently miss about the place of violence in art: it is not a "gateway" to the real thing, nor an approval of human suffering. It is rather a lucid recognition of the fundamental violence of things — even if, per impossibile, we were to render all human beings docile, we would still be getting constantly slammed by nature — and of the deep human need to come to terms with this condition through the free play of the imagination.

[...] as far as I know resigned to some permanent condition of agnosticism, Nick has for all that arrived at Christianity's ethical core, where loving the stranger obviates any perceived need to fix your beliefs, since this love is itself a "proof" of the reality of the divine. And yet through all this moral growth Nick just keeps putting holes in Billy Dilly's motherfucking head

Poetry has lost its violence - UnHerd

[thought he sang 'And so much wind blew through her words
That I went rolling down the hole']

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 12 June 2023 - 02:47 PM

#12155 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 16 June 2023 - 02:18 PM

The new Sigur Ros album ATTA is reducing me to a puddle of emotional muck. MY GODS is this good. Standout tracks so far are Skel, Klettur, Andrį, and Gold...

I don't think I realized how much I needed an album that lets me filter my emotions out this much right now.

#12156 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 29 June 2023 - 01:34 PM

Not sure if it's anyone's cup of tea, but my favourite band Serenity (symphonic power metallers singing about history) just released their new single - "Ritter Tod und Teufel (Knightfall)" :D

https://youtu.be/2Hb...-uoX9uTBQMcIPyo
- Wyrd biš ful aręd -

#12157 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 04 July 2023 - 04:38 PM

Here's a free tiny minimalist violin string section from flatulence Afflatus (for the free Kontakt player):

a Chamber String Ensemble playing flautando with poco vibrato. [You know you want that!] The Poylphonic True Legato makes this section ideal for lush sounding string beds in the style of Arvo Pärt or Thomas Newmann.

Minimalist Violins Legato Freebie (strezov-sampling.com)

Lots of new music software freebies, including free bass guitars for the free Sforzando player:

KVR Audio Developer Challenge 2023 - Free Plugins Competition

Black And Blue Basses is a sample library of two 5-string bass guitars: a black hollowbody played with the fingers, and a blue solidbody played with a pick. Over 2000 samples adding up to more than a gigabyte.

Key features:

Black bass has plucks, ghost notes, staccato, two types of behind-the-bridge picking and release noises, all with four round robins.

Black bass plucks have four velocity layers and ghost notes two velocity layers.

Blue bass has picked notes with two velocity layers, with eight round robins in the top layer and four in the bottom layer.

Blue bass also has extended low range to low E an octave below a standard 4-string bass's lowest note.

Simulated vibrato with humanization.

Swell and tremolo controls.

Synthesizer-style filter with resonance and modulation by LFO and envelope.

Unison with controllable width.

#12158 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 04 July 2023 - 11:21 PM

"Have you noticed how people are forgetting f*cking show etiquette at the moment?"she asked the crowd at her Las Vegas residency. "People just throwing shit onstage—have you seen that?"

[...] recent string of viral clips showing concertgoers throwing random objects at musicians. [...] hurled a cellphone [...] leaving her with a black eye. Country star [...] had to walk offstage during a show in Idaho last week after an attendee hit her in the face with an unknown object.

[...] "I f*cking dare you to throw something at me, and I'll fucking kill you," Adele said'

Adele Vows She'll Kill Concertgoers Who Throw Objects At Her

She proceeded to fire into the crowd.

What's the point of going to a live show if you can't throw things at the performers and have them shoot at you in return? Hmm... certainly a higher level of audience interaction. #ArtisticProgress

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 04 July 2023 - 11:56 PM

#12159 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 05 July 2023 - 01:13 PM

In the '70s, fans threw their underwear at Elvis Presley. At the height of Beatlemania, diehards pelted the Beatles with Jelly Beans after George Harrison revealed they were his favorite candy. The infamous Ozzy Osbourne moment that resulted in him biting the head off a live bat happened after a fan threw it onto the stage. The tradition has continued into the present, too. In the past year, Rosalía was hit hard with a bouquet of flowers, while Harry Styles was pinged in the eye with a Skittle. I'm certainly not one to condone anything that causes any kind of discomfort to the performer [because any kind of discomfort = terrible trauma after all], but for the sake of the conversation and good will, let's go ahead and say that all of this happened out of admiration and/or the heat of the moment.

[Let's not forget the ancient and august history of flinging rotting vegetables at performers---probably going back to pre-history. However, I imagine that rotting vegetables are generally softer than an iPhone....]

[...] things have gotten increasingly worse. There's a stark difference between losing your marbles in the height of excitement and looking down at your $1,000 iPhone and saying, "This is going to be funny. I'm going to risk it all to hurt Bebe Rexha." [...] The guy who threw the phone told police he did it because he thought it would be funny [and earn him his immortal glory on the internet]. Now he's facing assault charges.

[...] security shouldn't have to be on the lookout for flying objects. (Unless, of course, those security guards are protecting President George W. Bush from flying shoes at a press conference. That was hilarious.)

Violent Concert-Goers Need to Get Their Shit Together (thedailybeast.com)

Seems like there are at least two big differences:

1. doing things with a high likelihood of significantly injuring the performer. Thrown underwear isn't going to give you a black eye and stitches (to be fair, it may depend on the underwear...).

Though IDK about that fan throwing a live bat on stage before Ozzy bit its head off. Bat could have bitten him first....

After watching the video, one could charitably wonder whether the person who slapped Ava Max in the eye was simply trying to reach out and touch her---since it happened just as security was yanking them away from her. Still, terrible.

2. videos like these have become extremely popular on TikTok. IDK if short-form viral videos created by and aimed at young people are more likely than other forms of social media to promote violent pranks, but it's definitely encouraging them.... Thankfully none of them have yet translated into successful careers as 'influencers'---AFAIK.... (Though what if they hit a performer in the face, forcing them to get stitches, and then challenge them to a boxing match or cage fight?... That could be very profitable. #Culture!)

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 05 July 2023 - 01:14 PM

#12160 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 05 July 2023 - 02:11 PM

It's pretty worrisome, especially the cell phone throwing. Might as well be a rock.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

Share this topic:

• 613 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users