Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Powers converging on Lether

#1 User is offline   BridgeBurner 

• High Fist
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 07 October 2006 - 09:02 PM

First, this has been some kind of a pet theory for me.

I understand there will be some major power bashing in RG. Known contenders there will be Tiste Edur, Rhulad, Icarium, Karsa Orlong, and Tehol Beddict with his hidden army (I conclude the last from an an answer Pallor gave me).

We also know that there is a hidden force on that continent, and a force that failed to create a bridgehead. In this, I assume the latter army was in service of Togg and Fanderay...

Getting to the point, and I will be going against a lot of people's expectations here, I think the 14th army will not show up in the next book. There are enough forces working against the Tiste Edur and the CG already there.

Instead, I expect the 14th to show up in Toll the Hounds, at Darujistan. There have been many hints about how important that city is, and there is a fresh Azath house there, so I expect big stuff to happen there.

People like Pallor or Hetan who have proofreaded things may be laughing. If I am totally off the mark, feel free to PM me saying so. I won't reflect this into the forums.

Apart from that, we have things to discuss. Which is good ...:p

#2 User is offline   GardenGnome 

• Emperor

Posted 07 October 2006 - 09:17 PM

If I recall correctly, there were people talking about a reading by Steven Erikson, where he read an excerpt, and there it was said they (the 14th) were headed, by ship, to Lether. But I could be wrong.

To support your argument, the RG synopsis makes no mention of the 14th.

#3 User is offline   Thelomen Toblerone 

• Ascendant
  • Group: Team Handsome

Posted 07 October 2006 - 11:02 PM

Could well be, the way I see things it's only a matter of time before Paran and Tavore meet up and combine their armies, and either way I think it's highly probable that Paran and his force will head to Darujhistan, what with the contacts he has there and it being outside the control of the Empire.

If Tavore and Paran do combine, Darujhistan would be an ideal place for Tavore to take her army so it follows she would go with Paran.

Just a gut feeling but I think you're right.

#4 User is offline   GardenGnome 

• Emperor

Posted 08 October 2006 - 09:13 AM

I somehow doubt the two armies will be combined - the logistics for such a force would be a nightmare.

#5 User is offline   Tiger_sword 

• First Sword

Posted 08 October 2006 - 10:09 AM

I agree that they wont show up in RG, it tends to be they way SE does things. I still think Tavoure et al are heading to Lether but Paran may head back to Darujistan, after all it is like home for him, prehaps he has sensed something coming? Although we must also remember it was never his intention to assemble an army.

#6 User is offline   Lister of Smeg 

• King of High House Smeg

Posted 08 October 2006 - 11:48 AM

I think they have to be going to Lether. What would be the point in Tavore going to Malaz City to collect Withal (which Fiddler thinks was the entire reason for going there) if they don't then go to Lether? Withal's only role in the books so far has been to create Rhulad's sword, so if anyone knows how to break it, it would be him. And to do that, they have to go to Rhulad.

Plus, as Garden Gnome says, there was a reading from RG. It was from the viewpoint of Nimander Golit, who is with the 14th. Hence they will surely be in this book.
Avoid being seen as racist by saying, "I'm not a racist, but ..." prior to making a racist comment.

#7 User is offline   BridgeBurner 

• High Fist

Posted 08 October 2006 - 09:38 PM

Withal's only role in the books so far has been to create Rhulad's sword, so if anyone knows how to break it, it would be him.

Sorry, Lord Baelish, but I find that unconvincing. We could say the same of Draconus, and I think we all know it'll be Ganoes Paran breaking that sword, if that'll happen.... Apart from that, Brys Beddict almost beat Rhulad without interfering. If that Guarding spirit hadn't finished off Rhulad, current things might have looked way different...

Withal may have been a goal for the 14th getting into Malaz City, but I don't think this is automatically a reason for the 14th to go to Lether.

#8 User is offline   Lister of Smeg 

Posted 09 October 2006 - 09:22 AM

Why else would they go to Malaz City to get him, though? It would seem pretty pointless to me to go to all that trouble to bring Withal on board if they aren't going after Rhulad.
Avoid being seen as racist by saying, "I'm not a racist, but ..." prior to making a racist comment.

#9 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 09 October 2006 - 09:39 AM

Lord Baelish;123018 said:

Why else would they go to Malaz City to get him, though? It would seem pretty pointless to me to go to all that trouble to bring Withal on board if they aren't going after Rhulad.

They came to Malaz city because they had to. Tavore and her 14th had to answer to the Empress and then sever their connection, picking up the Andii and Withal were the bonus.

#10 User is offline   Lister of Smeg 

Posted 09 October 2006 - 10:20 AM

Fiddler seemed to think differently. And Tavore judged the trip to Malaz City to be utterly worthless when she thought Bottle had failed in collecting Withal. So it was hardly just a bonus. It was a major reason why Tavore went there.

#11 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 09 October 2006 - 10:43 AM

Ok I'll edit my post's "just" - I agree that there were other important reasons to go to Malaz, but the official reason was to finish the campaign on 7C.

#12 User is offline   Kage-za 

• Captain

Posted 09 October 2006 - 01:45 PM

Strictly speaking of forces converging in Lether, we should also add Mael, Silchas and co (even if they're trying to get off of Lether), and possibly Kili and Rake (since they were in the prologue). Oh yeah, and Hood, considering the title.

I think the presence or absence of the 14th isn't going to be what makes this covergence overkill:)

#13 User is offline   Thelomen Toblerone 

• Ascendant
  • Group: Team Handsome

Posted 09 October 2006 - 10:50 PM

I doubt that Rake will be involved in RG, he's currently occupied in Black Coral and it would take a substantial period of time and journey to arrive at Lether, when he has no obvious reason to occur.

But I still think it'll be overkill, and I cant wait. :p

#14 User is offline   Kage-za 

• Captain

Posted 10 October 2006 - 04:53 AM

Although I wouldn't be shocked if he didn't show, why would it be a huge amount of effort for Rake to get to Lether? The Crimson Guard and Seren travel through KG in MT. Despite the fact that it seemed corrupted somehow, I doubt it would be difficult for Rake to travel there quickly. In fact, If Silchas and Scabby have prominent roles, an appearance by Rake seems more likely.

Generally characters who appear in the prologues of the books show up again in some role.

#15 User is offline   SilchasRuin 

• Recruit

Posted 23 October 2006 - 11:30 PM

i wanna see sum tiste liosan action....all those thousands of years of non conflicting outside ther own realm they must be pretty numerous in the next few books id like to see a huge tiste liosan army show up at some place or other just 2 mix things up a bit....perhaps even osserc could come back 2 lead them

but thats juss me hoping 4 some excitement...i would atleast like to know a little more about them such as why they werent part of the andii edur alliance

#16 User is offline   Lancelot 

• Captain

Posted 24 October 2006 - 09:54 AM

Wouldnt the perish contingent of the 14th try to hook up with their counterparts on lether? seeing has the double wolf army has already had a bit of a kicking, The 14th would bolster their numbers considerably.
Let There Be A Way Through The Waters

#17 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 24 October 2006 - 10:12 AM

Just a note on your signature ^^

The scientist is Robert Oppenheimer, one of the directors of the Manhatten Project. The quote is taken out of some thoughts he had on Hindu litterature as he saw the bomb in the trinity test explode.

A quick google search comes up with this:

We knew the world would not be the same. A few people laughed, a few people cried, most people were silent. I remembered the line from the Hindu scripture, the Bhagavad-Gita. Vishnu is trying to persuade the Prince that he should do his duty and to impress him takes on his multi-armed form and says, 'Now, I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.' I suppose we all thought that one way or another."

Sorry but that quote brought the history nerd up in me... "some scientist" is a mockery of the event, kids now a days, tsk tsk. :D

#18 User is offline   Lancelot 

• Captain

Posted 24 October 2006 - 11:19 AM

Mockery!!! Moi *hangs head in shame*

But refered to as a KID!!! Apt my new best friend!!
Let There Be A Way Through The Waters

#19 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 24 October 2006 - 11:25 AM

Lancelot;126771 said:

Mockery!!! Moi *hangs head in shame*

But refered to as a KID!!! Apt my new best friend!!

I could bump you up to ignoramus, if you want? :D

#20 User is offline   GardenGnome 

• Emperor

Posted 24 October 2006 - 11:28 AM

As for your actual question: We don't know if there is any Perish counterpart on Lether, that's just speculation. Also, we have seen so little of the Perish, that secondguessing their actions is just going to be completely random anyway.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users