• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Boat People

#1 User is offline   BridgeBurner 

• High Fist
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 16 September 2006 - 11:04 PM

I'm on a reread of BH, and yesterday I read the part where Paran went into Hood's cellar to releash the Deragoth.

There is this big thing about the Trygalle Sorceress and the Nom woman being sacrificed in that episode, in a hut near the sea.

Unless I missed it (I read before sleeping, so I may miss a lot) I didn't get any timeline references there, and the Trygalle guy was as much holding back on info as he could...

But...

Could these people, who apparently worship the Deragoth, could have managed to take to Sea and cross a warren to arrive at Lether? Meaning, they would be the canoe people...

Just something that popped up in my mind, guys. Feel free to shoot it down, or theorize further. :(

#2 User is offline   Dolorous Menhir 

• God
  • Group: Wiki Contributor

Posted 16 September 2006 - 11:06 PM

Were there half a million of those people?

#3 User is offline   BridgeBurner 

• High Fist

Posted 16 September 2006 - 11:08 PM

We don't know, since they had already left at the time Paran and Ganath inspected the hut.

#4 User is offline   Chaos 

• High Fist
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 17 September 2006 - 12:19 AM

it wouldn't seem so no. Unless 500k people fitted into one hut. There was no evidence of mass civilisation there, even if the 500k just travelled to the huts it would be blatantly obvious, enough to be mentioned in the prose anyways.

#5 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 17 September 2006 - 12:23 AM

unless they lived on the other side of the wall.. the side that was flooded, and they only travelled to the statues to worship.... spirital journey sort of thing, thus the need for only one hut.
Monster Hunter World Iceborne: It's like hunting monsters, but on crack, but the monsters are also on crack.

#6 User is offline   Dolorous Menhir 

• God

Posted 17 September 2006 - 12:38 AM

I don't think Bridgeburner is talking about the people of the Nascent, Obdigore. They all seem to have died, and they didn't have time to build a gigantic fleet of boats and escape. They certainly didn't have time to do it two years before Rhulad even flooded their home realm.

Can you think of any reasons why the Deragoth worshippers would go to Lether? Because I can't think of any reason to connect the two groups.

All we know of the Deragoth people, that I can remember, is that they took part in the ritual sacrifice of the Trygalle sorceress and a relative of Lady Simtal (I thought it was a Simtal and not a Nom). That doesn't suggest a civilisation of half a million people, a military force of half a million warriors, a seafaring nation of half a million people, or any strong connection to Lether at all.

#7 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear

Posted 17 September 2006 - 12:44 AM

Ok, perhaps I am missing something, weren't the Nascent and the realm where Paran and the Jaghut were the same realm?
Monster Hunter World Iceborne: It's like hunting monsters, but on crack, but the monsters are also on crack.

#8 User is offline   Dolorous Menhir 

• God

Posted 17 September 2006 - 01:01 AM

No, they weren't.

The realm visited in BH was some kind of Jaghut underworld. Vaguely defined.

The Nascent is a fragment of Kurald Emurlahn.

I'm fairly sure the Hound of Darkness statues are properly in the BH realm, and a reflection - a shadow in the Shadow warren - was what appeared to Onrack & Trull in the Nascent, in HoC.

• Group: Unregistered / Not Logged In

Posted 17 September 2006 - 07:59 AM

Well I think it is the Nascent? and it borders the Jaghut underworld? or Hoods basement.

Remember?.at the end of the bridge, they crossed through a gateway into a flooded realm. Paran comments that it?s not supposed to be flooded and . : ?Smells like rot. This is flood water ??

There can be no doubts that these are the same statues. There are five statues found, two further statues have already been destroyed :
?Nearest him, two huge pedestals surrounded in rubble marked where statues had once been. In the eternally damp mud around them were tracks, foot-prints, signs of some kind of scuffle. ?
Paran tells Shadowthrone that the two Hounds of Shadow, freed from Dragnipur joined their counterparts within the two statues, where they were freed.
?I?m not sure how much you know, but I freed them from the sword.? He waited for another bout of histrionics, but ? nothing. ?Ah, so you know that. Good. Well, I have disovered where they went ? here, where they conjoined with their counterparts, and were then freed ? no, not by me.

#10 User is offline   Dolorous Menhir 

• God

Posted 17 September 2006 - 11:33 AM

Oh, ok then. I suppose I was wrong.

#11 User is offline   BridgeBurner 

• High Fist

Posted 17 September 2006 - 12:30 PM

I missed the point about the boats landing on Lether happening 2 years before the Lether conquest. Oh well...:(

And we were both wrong on the Daru Lady, Doloures Menhir. It was Sedara Orr....

#12 User is offline   Dolorous Menhir 

• God

Posted 17 September 2006 - 02:21 PM

BridgeBurner;116702 said:

I missed the point about the boats landing on Lether happening 2 years before the Lether conquest. Oh well...:(

And we were both wrong on the Daru Lady, Doloures Menhir. It was Sedara Orr....

Ha, I knew it was something to do with the people in GotM. Oh well.

#13 User is offline   Clip 

• Archaeologist

Posted 20 September 2006 - 04:38 PM

I think that the only plausible explanation for the boats that landed on lether is that they are the Barghast, and that they will probably make an appearence in TtH.

to me it seems to be the only explanation that fits
Eyes like moonlight on barbed wire

#14 User is offline   Dolorous Menhir 

• God

Posted 20 September 2006 - 05:20 PM

That's the best possibility - out of all the groups we know about.

It could possibly be a new race/organisation, though the dismantled prows do heavily lean things towards the Barghast among the currently known races.

#15 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 20 September 2006 - 07:40 PM

Unless of course there's a previously unknown link between the Perish and the Bhargast. After all, in MoI when the Myhbe is busy running around avoiding the Rhivi spirits and/or Bhargast lost gods, it's suggested that one of the spaces she's running around in is the Beast Hold.

Plus it was the Bhargast Shoulderwomen that consecrated the Grey Swords to Togg and Fandoberman.

- Abyss, master of six degrees of separation... can link Pust to Kevin Bacon.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#16 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus

Posted 21 September 2006 - 06:54 AM

I still think (hope?) it's a nation of TT, or a watered down version of the species anyways.. It's logical that they would use the same mode of transportation as the Barghast considering their history, and this would also reduce the number of invaders/immigrants substantialy making it easier to hide and all ^^
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#17 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 21 September 2006 - 05:36 PM

Wouldn't the canoes have had to have been appropriately T3 proportioned?

- Abyss, isn't saying that size matters but...
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#18 Guest_chani_*

• Group: Unregistered / Not Logged In

Posted 21 September 2006 - 06:05 PM

When i read the canoes - I immediately thought the barghast - with their people spread all over WU - it makes total sense that they could of spread the word to meet up as a group and land on Letherii - perhaps they have some history with Lether as a people who've been conqured on that continent and the rest of them have come over the sea to get back what's theirs?

Just a thought... maybe it's a crazy theory thread one...

#19 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus

Posted 22 September 2006 - 06:22 AM

Abyss;118390 said:

Wouldn't the canoes have had to have been appropriately T3 proportioned?

- Abyss, isn't saying that size matters but...

But they were described as very big, weren't they? Remember that the TT and the BArghast were on the sea together once, meaning they probably shared boats etc.. Basically, the TT could have used - I think - the same kind and size canoes, but there would just be less TT in each
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#20 User is offline   Clip 

• Archaeologist

Posted 22 September 2006 - 04:33 PM

Judging by the numbers thought to have been in the boats meant that the entire barghast nation (or whoever it may be) is on Lether now, which means they have to come up in RG, but not in TtH, which is probably in Darujistan. :p Yay, Kruppe :p
Eyes like moonlight on barbed wire

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users