• You cannot reply to this topic

Moranth Foreshadowing (Series Spoilers)

#21 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 12 September 2006 - 03:50 PM

Sir Thursday;115123 said:

That 'thus far' bit tagged on the end means we might meet someone else who has them...maybe on Assail, which could explain how the Tyrants there are so powerful. Interesting :(

Sir Thursday

That's part of why I think Assail is the Moranth homeland, that and some descriptions from MOI - Blue Moranth for the canoes, anyone?
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#22 User is offline   Raymond Luxury Yacht 

• Throatwobbler Mangrove
  • Group: Grumpy Old Sods
  • Interests:Quiet desperation and self-loathing

Posted 17 September 2006 - 02:52 AM

Which all ties back to my theory that munittions will eventually be used against the empire on a large scale. Brilliant! Or I'm completely wrong. Who knows. Not knowing wht is going to happen is so much fun.
Error: Signature not valid

#23 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 27 September 2006 - 08:38 PM

Interesting is the point that the Moranth learned about munitions from the Edur. Good thing someone forgot to tell the Edur that.

So far.

Pulling bits from the Wiki, we have Gold elite warriors with overblwon sense of honour, Silver mages, Black soldiers with a tendency to purge large chunks of urban populations, Green messenger/scout types and Blue seafarers.

Anyone care to guess at what the Red Moranth (mentioned only once in GotM, iirc) get up to?

And whether Red Mask of the RG prologue is one???

- Abyss, deserves a dramatic soundtrack clip for those last two sentences.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#24 Guest_Nevuk_*

• Group: Unregistered / Not Logged In

Posted 28 September 2006 - 12:58 AM

My opinion is that voiced by the moranth talking to Whiskeyjack in GoTM. He tells whiskeyjack something like "Your empire is infected, but it is not too late to be cleansed. The Moranth are skilled at such efforts" A bit paraphrased, but he implies that the moranth don't trust the Malazan Empire at all. This is the same one who tells whiskeyjack the bridgeburners will always be granted munitions.

#25 User is offline   Onrack the breakable 

• Captain
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 16 October 2006 - 04:15 AM

Um, actually I thought Fiddler asked where the crate (of munitions) came from and the TTG guy said, "from the streets of the fair city Darujiblah" Those where munitions that the BB had buried in the streets to blow the place sky high but the source of the munitions was the Black Moranth. So the Moranth munitions weren't bought in a pawnshop in Darujiblah.

I like the theory that Karsa and Icarium realize they are soulmates. Har! Goodwone!

#26 User is offline   The Rope 

• Fist

Posted 17 October 2006 - 03:07 AM

Red Moranth... don't know for sure... the alchemists/scholars?

Posted 17 October 2006 - 03:12 PM

Abyss;120117 said:

Interesting is the point that the Moranth learned about munitions from the Edur. Good thing someone forgot to tell the Edur that.

A very good point Abyss... at least if one assumes that they learned it from the Edur.. and it wasn't a discovery they made for themselves? Come to think of it.. that seems more likely, or the Edur would surely make use of it.
the quote is a little ambiguous on that point.."They who have embraced the alchemies of the T’isten’ur."

#28 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 17 October 2006 - 04:54 PM

Two different populations of Edur, the Moranth one (on Assail, mwahaha) which died out, and the Lether one we know and love. Ish.
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#29 User is offline   henk 

• Corporal

Posted 17 October 2006 - 04:56 PM

completly different question in gotm there is siad nobody knows how moranth look but in moi a tribe of bargast had many pieces of moranth armor...how did they got those also in gotm there is told about the battle where 5 legions of golds got crushed dont remember who did that remeber he was not in the latter series anybody knows what happend to him?

#30 User is offline   Dolorous Menhir 

• God
  • Group: Wiki Contributor

Posted 17 October 2006 - 05:53 PM

This may be a bit tenuous henk, but perhaps the Moranth always remove their dead from battle and leave the armour? And then the Barghast salvage it without actually seeing a Moranth body?

Don't really believe that myself, it might just be some hyperbole to say no-one has ever seen a Moranth, it has a nice dramatic ring but isn't overly realistic.

#31 User is offline   Tiger_sword 

• First Sword

Posted 17 October 2006 - 06:05 PM

prehaps they decompose really, really fast i.e as soon as they die their bodies crumble away

Posted 17 October 2006 - 06:37 PM

henk;125117 said:

completly different question in gotm there is siad nobody knows how moranth look but in moi a tribe of bargast had many pieces of moranth armor...how did they got those also in gotm there is told about the battle where 5 legions of golds got crushed dont remember who did that remeber he was not in the latter series anybody knows what happend to him?

Jorrick Sharplance of the Crimson Guard wiped out two legions of Gold.. the other three retreated into the forest. His Barghast allies helped. If we are to hear more of him, it will probably be in one of ICE's books :D

#33 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 17 October 2006 - 07:14 PM

The people said to have never seen a Moranth are their allies, surely any battleground where the Moranth lost so many of their own troops that they couldn't retrieve the bodies would be held by the enemy, who wouldn't really be talking to the Malazans yet.

#34 User is offline   The Rope 

• Fist

Posted 18 October 2006 - 04:59 AM

they decompose really fast like vampires? not really liking that idea... to obvious... and boviously supernatural...
probably just an oversight... or the last comment...

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users