Malazan Empire: Westeros board down temporarily. - Malazan Empire

Page 1 of 1

Westeros board down temporarily. Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Werthead 

• Ascendant
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 11 May 2006 - 01:21 AM

The Westeros.org board is going off-line today whilst the software is reinstalled. At the moment it is unknown how long this will take, possibly a few hours, possibly longer (although from Ran's comments on the news section of the Westeros.org site, it could be longer rather than shorter). Just to let people know if they can't get onto the board, since I know a fair few people post here and there as well. Cheers.
Visit The Wertzone for reviews of SF&F books, DVDs and computer games!

"Try standing out in a winter storm all night and see how tough you are. Start with that. Then go into a bar and pick a fight and see how tough you are. And then go home and break crockery over your head. Start with those three and you'll be good to go."
- Bruce Campbell on how to be as cool as he is

#2 User is offline   Dagger 

• Interloper

Posted 11 May 2006 - 01:23 PM

Yeah, I was just there before I opened up Malazan. All I got was a white screen. I blame Goodkind.
"I can see my days of not taking you seriously are coming to a middle." - Mal Reynolds

#3 User is offline   Werthead 

• Ascendant

Posted 11 May 2006 - 01:31 PM

Damnit, apparently it's going to take longer than first thought. Ran's hoping to get it back up today or tomorrow, but apparently there's a fair chance it could last until Sunday or Monday.

"Try standing out in a winter storm all night and see how tough you are. Start with that. Then go into a bar and pick a fight and see how tough you are. And then go home and break crockery over your head. Start with those three and you'll be good to go."

#4 User is offline   Slick Mongoose 

• Captain

Posted 11 May 2006 - 02:13 PM

Pants.

#5 Guest_Dublo7_*

• Group: Unregistered / Not Logged In

Posted 11 May 2006 - 02:37 PM

Awww bugger.

#6 User is offline   Werthead 

• Ascendant

Posted 11 May 2006 - 03:43 PM

Here's the latest from the Man Ran himself:

An update for those wondering:

The server we're on was hacked, probably through a vulnerability in PHP (our sysadmin hadn't fallen a little behind in keeping it up to date). No serious harm has been done to anything, and we backed up the DB prior to her shutdown, so there should be no posts lost (well, except those in the immediate aftermath of the shutdown notice being given, while the board was still up).

She's now reinstalled the OS with the SELinux kernel (that's the kernel that the NSA has developed and uses internally; super-secure, although there's a pitfall to that [more about it in a bit]).

So what's the hold up? Well, that super-secure thing seems to mean that we can't do some of the things we need to do without knowing some arcane commands (which we don't know) or having our sysadmin help us out. Since she's on the west coast and stayed up mondo-late getting things fixed, not sure when she'll be available, and for that matter whether getting it up and running will be a cinch or not.

We'll see. Hopefully today (especially if she has the actual files backed up, not just the DB), maybe after the weekend, could be a bit longer. Cross your fingers. :)

#7 User is offline   Werthead 

• Ascendant

Posted 11 May 2006 - 04:55 PM

The board is now back up, at least for now.

#8 Guest_Chataya_*

• Group: Unregistered / Not Logged In

Posted 12 May 2006 - 11:53 AM

What you just said in your next-to-last post made as much sense to me as if they had performed bizarre religious rituals to get the darned thing working again.

I am sooooo non-technical :)

It's not working again today :)

But that's OK - I *really* should be cleaning my gutters and painting my kitchen ceiling.

#9 User is offline   caladanbrood 

• Ugly on the Inside
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 13 May 2006 - 05:12 AM

Arg. It'd better be worth the wait:p
O xein', angellein Lakedaimoniois hoti têde; keimetha tois keinon rhémasi peithomenoi.

#10 User is offline   Werthead 

• Ascendant

Posted 13 May 2006 - 02:59 PM

It was down yesterday for a window of about 10-15 minutes. They're still ironing out the kinks in the system. It's working fine now.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users