Page 1 of 1

New George R. R. Martin interview Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   pat5150 

• D'ivers
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 01 May 2006 - 11:14 PM

Hi guys!

Well, it's past midnight in the UK, so the full GRRM interview is now online!:D

In addition, I have just received ICE's answers, which means that you can expect the Q&A later this week!:D

Two good interviews! Enjoy!

Patrick
www.fantasyhotlist.blogspot.com

P. S. There is also a new contest to win a signed copy of Jacqueline Carey's KUSHIEL'S SCION.

#2 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 01 May 2006 - 11:28 PM

Cool beans, Pat. Cheers.

Although, GRRM can't have been the first person to think of the concept of 'the large fortification/wall against ethereal invaders manned by an elite force', can he?

*coughStormwallcough*

(yes I know GRRM's was before SE's, OK?)
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#3 Guest_Danyah_*

• Group: Unregistered / Not Logged In

Posted 01 May 2006 - 11:38 PM

No that's a Chinese invention to keep the Mongolians out. The concept of GRRM wascopied more or less by Garth "I love Terry Brooks' Magical Kingdom" Nix and other nitwits.
Tnx Pat

#4 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 02 May 2006 - 01:17 AM

Very decent interview Patrick. I still have my reservations about GRRM as a person, (I thought Erikson was far more humble and forthcoming in his interview), but that doesn't mean I won't clamour for ADWD just like everyone else.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#5 Guest_Niko III_*

Posted 02 May 2006 - 01:25 PM

He's still too arrogant.
He should learn to be more humble from Terry.

#6 Guest_Danyah_*

Posted 02 May 2006 - 01:28 PM

Is your other forum dead Veti? :D

#7 Guest_Niko III_*

Posted 02 May 2006 - 01:49 PM

What is dead can never die.

#8 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 02 May 2006 - 03:09 PM

The notion of a wall to keep out an invading force is hardly original. Piers Anthony was doing it in his Xanth series as early as the 70s.

But GRRM does add his own spin to it.

- Abyss, ice, ice, baby.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#9 Guest_Niko III_*

Posted 02 May 2006 - 03:15 PM

And Terry G inspired them all.

#10 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 02 May 2006 - 03:21 PM

Actually, the sum total of modern fantasy as the world knows it was inspired by terry goodkind.

oh, look, my eyes are bleeding out....

- Abyss, needs a transfusion.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#11 User is offline   Werthead 

• Ascendant

Posted 02 May 2006 - 06:40 PM

Abyss said:

Actually, the sum total of modern fantasy as the world knows it was inspired by terry goodkind.

oh, look, my eyes are bleeding out....

- Abyss, needs a transfusion.

I got a bit confused and read that as:

Actually, the sum total of the world as we know it was inspired by Terry Goodkind.

I nearly soiled myself in shock and/or horror.
Visit The Wertzone for reviews of SF&F books, DVDs and computer games!

"Try standing out in a winter storm all night and see how tough you are. Start with that. Then go into a bar and pick a fight and see how tough you are. And then go home and break crockery over your head. Start with those three and you'll be good to go."
- Bruce Campbell on how to be as cool as he is

#12 Guest_Danyah_*

Posted 02 May 2006 - 07:07 PM

Wizard's First Rule
In this volume we discover the Wizard's First Rule:

"People will believe anything, either because they want it to be true, or are afraid it might be"

"People are stupid. They will believe anything they want to be true or fear to be true. Given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. People can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool."

combined with

Actually, the sum total of the world as we know it was inspired by Terry Goodkind.

You better die of fear Werthead. Your stoopid, Tary sez so.

#13 User is offline   Werthead 

• Ascendant

Posted 02 May 2006 - 07:36 PM

Illuyankas said:

Although, GRRM can't have been the first person to think of the concept of 'the large fortification/wall against ethereal invaders manned by an elite force', can he?

(yes I know GRRM's was before SE's, OK?)

I think he meant more along the lines of a 300-mile-long, 700-feet-high wall of solid ice and making it seem credible. Although that said I'm sure walls of solid ice have appeared in fantasy fiction before.

"Try standing out in a winter storm all night and see how tough you are. Start with that. Then go into a bar and pick a fight and see how tough you are. And then go home and break crockery over your head. Start with those three and you'll be good to go."

#14 User is offline   Brys 

• Fist

Posted 02 May 2006 - 08:46 PM

Not a bad interview, but not particularly informative either. Still has absolutely nothing on an R Scott Bakker/Steven Erikson/Jeff Vandermeer interview, or for that matter, a Goodkind interview (ok, for entirely different reasons).

#15 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 02 May 2006 - 09:59 PM

I could have sworn I've read that before.. it be a nice interview nevertheless though
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#16 User is offline   Malaclypse 

• Banned User
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Banned Users

Posted 03 May 2006 - 02:17 AM

That has to be the lamest interview you've done Pat...I realize you've already begun shifting blame for this sad sad excuse for an attempt at achieving some level of insight into this particular creative endeavor, but ...really! If I was you I'd avoid accepting such deals, in which 'they cook it and you eat it'...it's just ...shameful :D

#17 Guest_Danyah_*

Posted 03 May 2006 - 08:41 AM

Well, guess that are the lamest answers GRRM could give. It's a written interview and it occurred to me he wasn't very responsive.

#18 Guest_Niko III_*

Posted 03 May 2006 - 04:09 PM

Werthead said:

Although that said I'm sure walls of solid ice have appeared in fantasy fiction before.

Yes, the first time it appeared was in an essay witten by Terry while he was in 3rd grade.

#19 User is offline   Werthead 

• Ascendant

Posted 03 May 2006 - 06:29 PM

I agree that GRRM wasn't very forthcoming in the interview, which was a shame. Perhaps ennui with nine solid months of promoting the book have set in? Perhaps next time he should do an Erikson and only do 9 book signings and then go straight home to start on the next book?

Having met the guy at a signing last October, I can say in life he is usually much more responsive and locquacious than that.

#20 User is offline   Brahm_K 

• Sergeant

Posted 04 May 2006 - 03:17 AM

Ya, kind of dissapointing interview. I can understand though; it seems he is touring and interviewing nonstop. Its a pity, though, because this interview had great questions, as opposed to the others which mainly asked the same thing over and over (yes, Tyrion is George's favourite character). Oh well, as long as he's working on ADWD, I'm happy.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users