Malazan Empire: Terry Pratchett - Beginners Guide - Malazan Empire

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Terry Pratchett - Beginners Guide

#1 Guest_bluesman_*

• Group: Unregistered / Not Logged In

Posted 16 February 2006 - 08:38 PM

This may sound unbelievable but I have only read one book in total. Strange since this man has been around for like ever. I see him more like a book producing machine than an author :).

So basically. If I were to start reading him today. What are the must read books and in what order? Discworld obviously, but I suspect there are a few duds out there (there must be).

Btw. With the monumental success that these books have enjoyed over the years. How come noone has tried to make a big budget movie? I'm thinking something with Monty Python style actors ;).

bm

#2 User is offline   Werthead 

• Ascendant
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 16 February 2006 - 09:00 PM

A good one-off book is Good Omens, which Pratchett co-wrote with Neil Gaiman. Very funny and at one time Terry Gilliam was going to make it into a film (there's a Monty Python connection for you ;) ) but he went off to make the Quixote film instead. I think other directors are now looking at it.

As for Discworld there's several options. Reading the whole series in order is the logical way to go, although the earlier books aren't as good as the middle ones and some of the newest ones. The first book, The Colour of Magic, is very different in tone and style from the other books, although it is still funny in parts.

The advice I usually give is to start with the City Watch books. These books have a continuing arc of sorts and the character development of Vimes may be Pratchett's finest achievement in the series. They're also pretty funny and, being a fantasy take on police procedural dramas, very approachable. The first one is Guards! Guards!, followed by Men at Arms, Feet of Clay, Jingo, The Fifth Elephant, Night Watch and Thud! Vimes also has a supporting role in The Truth and Monstrous Regiment.

The one-offs with no recurring characters (or only recurring characters in background cameos) are also good to get a feel for the way Pratchett writes: Moving Pictures, Pyramids, Small Gods, The Truth, Monstrous Regiment and Going Postal are all good in this regard. Small Gods is almost certainly the single best thing Pratchett has ever written.

I'm not a big fan of the Granny Weatherwax/Lancre Witches plot line, but some people swear by them. These books are Equal Rites, Wyrd Sisters, Witches Abroad, Lords and Ladies, Maskerade and Carpe Jugulum. Of these Lords and Ladies is by far the best.

The Death books are pretty dull IMO but again they are well-regarded by others. These books are Mort, Reaper Man, Soul Music and Hogfather. Mort is regarded by many as Pratchett's best novel, but I found it pretty bad.

Finally the Rincewind books are good for a knockabout, Monty Python-esque laugh: The Colour of Magic, The Light Fantastic, Sourcery, Eric, Interesting Times and The Last Continent.

Then there's the Young Adult Discworld books: The Amazing Maurice and His Educated Rodents, The Wee Free Men and A Hat Full of Sky. The Wee Free Men is currently in development as a movie as well.
Visit The Wertzone for reviews of SF&F books, DVDs and computer games!

"Try standing out in a winter storm all night and see how tough you are. Start with that. Then go into a bar and pick a fight and see how tough you are. And then go home and break crockery over your head. Start with those three and you'll be good to go."
- Bruce Campbell on how to be as cool as he is

#3 Guest_Fool_*

Posted 16 February 2006 - 09:15 PM

Agree about Small Gods. If you only ever read one pratchett book, make it that one!

Aside from that werthead pretty much said it all. I'd rate the death/wizard books over the watch books but apart from that... yeah.

Oh, and while it might be a bit more fun to read the series in order it really doesnt matter that much. The first book i ever read was feet of clay which is in the middle of the watch series and it certainly didnt turn me off.

My favorites:

All in all: Small Gods
Stand Alone: The Truth, Thief of Time
Witches: Witches Abroad, Carpe Jugulum
Death: Pretty much all of them are rad
Watch: Feet of Clay, Men at Arms
Rincewind: Interesting Times, The Lost Continent

#4 Guest_bluesman_*

Posted 16 February 2006 - 09:19 PM

I remember a game called Discworld Noir but is that a book aswell?
My only novel was one with Rincewind and it was quite funny.

Thanks for the comprehensive list. Need to write it down ;).

bm

#5 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 16 February 2006 - 09:22 PM

I actually enjoyed Witches Abroad a lot.. Interesting times as well, and the last continent. Rincewind is a genious ;)
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#6 Guest_Fool_*

Posted 16 February 2006 - 09:27 PM

Discworld Noir was just a game, not a book (same goes for Discworld I & II).

#7 User is offline   Dolorous Menhir 

• God
  • Group: Wiki Contributor

Posted 16 February 2006 - 11:27 PM

Small Gods & the one with "the Gonne", can't remember which Guard novel that was. both excellent as straight comedies and as parallels to the modern world (religion/violence).

read a few of his books and you nail down the formula though. by the time you've read 20 you're predicting the plot twists chapters in advance...at least the jokes remain fairly original throughout.

#8 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 16 February 2006 - 11:58 PM

"The Gonne" was in Men-At-Arms, btw. I'd agree with everybody here (Night Watch is my favourite, though I have some suspicions about some character development but that's neither here nor there), but he did another book around the same time as Strata, called The Dark Side Of The... Something. Is that any good? Apart from the Truckers books, it's the only book I haven't read of his yet, and I want to know if it's any good.
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#9 Guest_Sonnyboy_*

Posted 17 February 2006 - 12:12 AM

I'm one of the people who swears by the Witches books. Wyrd Sisters! I'll admit I haven't read all of Pratchett's books, but Wyrd Sisters is my favourite of the ones I have, by far. It was better than Lords and Ladies, IMO.

#10 User is offline   Murrin 

• First Sword

Posted 17 February 2006 - 12:17 AM

I read the books in published order up to Lords and Ladies - I put it down halfway through and never got round to picking up the series again.The Witches books got progressively more boring, the way I remember it.

I agree that Small Gods is brilliant. Loved Reaper Man also.

#11 Guest_Sonnyboy_*

Posted 17 February 2006 - 12:19 AM

Murrin said:

I read the books in published order up to Lords and Ladies - I put it down halfway through and never got round to picking up the series again.The Witches books got progressively more boring, the way I remember it.

You're not wrong, but it hasn't spoiled my affection for them...

#12 Guest_Fool_*

Posted 17 February 2006 - 04:46 AM

Since i love ranking pratchett books and im bored...

Witches series:
1. Witches Abroad
2. Carpe Jugulum
3. Masquerade
4. Lords and Ladies
5. Wyrd Sisters
6. Equal Rites

The best part of lords and ladies was ridcully meeting granny.

#13 User is offline   Blind 

• High Fist

Posted 17 February 2006 - 03:55 PM

Illuyankas said:

he did another book around the same time as Strata, called The Dark Side Of The... Something. Is that any good?

The Dark Side of the Sun. It's a SF parody, much like Strata, and about equal in quality, IMO. I didn't find either as funny as any of the Discworld novels.

My favourie DW books are the Watch series, and Rincewind, but I also loved the Death books, especially for the character of Death himself (not so much for Susan, who I find a little annoying).

#14 User is offline   Imperial Historian 

• Master of the Deck
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 17 February 2006 - 04:49 PM

I'd agree with most of the thoughts here, small gods is definitly a book one should read, I prefer the watch novels myself but the death, witches and rincewind novels are all very good.

Colour of Magic and Light Fantastic are very different from his later books, so don't judge the rest of the series from them.

Good Omens, Small Gods, Mort or Guards Guards are probably your best bet for being introduced to Pratchett.

I didn't really enjoy Dark Side of the Sun, nowhere near the quality of the discworld books.

Anyone heard anything about Sky doing a version of "The Hogfather" for their Christmas schedule, I read about it somewhere but haven't heard about it since...

#15 Guest_bluesman_*

Posted 18 February 2006 - 12:17 AM

Regarding the movies. What's this new DVD that I saw?

Terry Pratchett's Wyrd Sisters och Soul Music. 2-disc DVD.

Is this a music dvd of sorts?

bm

#16 User is offline   Imperial Historian 

• Master of the Deck
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 18 February 2006 - 02:54 PM

No it's a cartoon of two of the disc world books, wyrd sister and soul music.

Wyrd Sisters was pretty good, and the half of soul music I saw was very good.

#17 Guest_Sonnyboy_*

Posted 18 February 2006 - 06:54 PM

I didn't see Soul Music, but I picked up the Wyrd Sisters DVD when I saw it. The comic timing was off for most of it, though it had its moments. And the animation was pretty poor.

#18 User is offline   Werthead 

• Ascendant

Posted 19 February 2006 - 02:26 PM

I think Cosgrove Hall had a very tight budget for the animations. I can understand them not spending the money. After all, Pratchett is only the UK's second-biggest-selling living author (not fantasy author btw, that's 'author' full stop)...

"Try standing out in a winter storm all night and see how tough you are. Start with that. Then go into a bar and pick a fight and see how tough you are. And then go home and break crockery over your head. Start with those three and you'll be good to go."

#19 Guest_Serner_*

Posted 23 February 2006 - 02:28 PM

I can't believe any of you didn't mention Pyramids, wich is my favorite next to Small Gods.

if you are wondering in what order to read the books there a very good reading order guide at http://www.lspace.or...ides/index.html
jut noticed that the graphical part has not been updated to the latest few books.

if you want to know more about TP looking around at http://www.lspace.org is a good idea.

#20 User is offline   Werthead 

• Ascendant

Posted 23 February 2006 - 05:26 PM

I thought I did mention Pyramids. It's a great book but has a kind of screwy conclusion. But Pteppic is a great character and the idea of Djelibeybi (a country 150 miles in length but only 2 miles in width) is quite amusing.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users