This post has been edited by Whisperzzzzzzz: 18 March 2018 - 04:02 PM

#22062 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 18 March 2018 - 02:45 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 18 March 2018 - 01:30 PM, said:

View PostBachelorluver, on 18 March 2018 - 03:00 AM, said:

Noted.

One day I shall have to get the ones Macros talked about.

I stuck with the Rome theme and grabbed Ben Kane’s EAGLES AT WAR, which after the prologue and first two chapters is AWESOME!

Mac may have read that too, not sure,

I’ve only read the first in Scarrow’s series, but I quite enjoyed it too.

Don't think I've read any Ben kane yet, have noticed his stuff about though, he's on my to read list.

I think it might have been QT who recommended The Eagle in The Snow by Wallace Breen, if you can find it, read it, absolutely superb.

#22063 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 18 March 2018 - 04:27 PM

View PostMacros, on 18 March 2018 - 02:45 PM, said:

View PostQuickTidal, on 18 March 2018 - 01:30 PM, said:

View PostBachelorluver, on 18 March 2018 - 03:00 AM, said:

Noted.

One day I shall have to get the ones Macros talked about.

I stuck with the Rome theme and grabbed Ben Kane’s EAGLES AT WAR, which after the prologue and first two chapters is AWESOME!

Mac may have read that too, not sure,

I’ve only read the first in Scarrow’s series, but I quite enjoyed it too.

Don't think I've read any Ben kane yet, have noticed his stuff about though, he's on my to read list.

I think it might have been QT who recommended The Eagle in The Snow by Wallace Breen, if you can find it, read it, absolutely superb.

Yep, that was me. One of my fave Roman frontier books!
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#22064 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 19 March 2018 - 08:42 PM

Finished Ben Aaronovich "The Hanging Tree"- What a strangely low key Peter Grant book.

New characters are introduced, old ones are expanded upon but generally not much happened. For a book featuring the Faceless Man the plot sure took a surprising turn. I liked it, it fit into this narrative about the Folly trying to catch a modern day magical moriarty but the stakes were pretty low compared to the... 4th book?

Anyway as always I greatly enjoy the British police take on urban fantasy but I remain frustrated with how minimal the magical aspect is and I still find it absurd how limited the British government's magical preparedness is. It's a HUGE national security problem but what ever.

It seems like the Folly is finally getting their ducks in a row and there might be instituted a more prepared response unit to magical bollocks in the future.

One aspect I did like was we got to see and hear a bit more about just how dangerous the River Gods are. A magical warrior ghost is a pretty cool bodyguard.

So far I have also put 50 pages into the first Culture book, Consider Phlebas by Iain Banks. It's really good.

I realized immediately it's been a while since I read this kind of hard sci-fi. The kind of story where the author just hoses you with weird would building terminology and advanced sci-fi lingo. It's great. Feels like the writer doesn't need or want to hold your hand.

#22065 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 19 March 2018 - 10:25 PM

I know I'm not in the majority here when I say, return really sucked, it's probably my least favourite ice book. I can honestly say I seriously doubt I ever reread it

#22066 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 19 March 2018 - 10:28 PM

Glad to hear "Wall of Storms" picks up, I'm due to read that later this year.

RotCG was all right for me. I struggled the most with the pacing of "Blood and Bone"- ICE got the relentless tropical jungle tone TOO right - the book really felt like trudging through a jungle that wants you dead.
The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

#22067 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 20 March 2018 - 12:36 AM

View PostBachelorluver, on 20 March 2018 - 12:10 AM, said:

Now I have to decide if I want to focus solely on Crimson or continue on with Dresden 5 or Fitz 1 which I just dug out. 7-9 ought to be all PB soon but it’s been quite awhile since I read 1-6.

Decisions...

I could complicate your decision...the Ben Kane Rome book I’m reading is amazing!
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#22068 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 20 March 2018 - 12:56 AM

It’s early Empire Rome on the Germanic frontier. Late Augustus reign.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 20 March 2018 - 12:56 AM

#22069 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 20 March 2018 - 07:01 AM

Damn you QT, I made a promise to myself not to buy any books for a month for two, my trp has like 30 fucking books in it

#22070 User is online   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 20 March 2018 - 07:19 AM

View PostAlternative Goose, on 19 March 2018 - 08:42 PM, said:

Anyway as always I greatly enjoy the British police take on urban fantasy but I remain frustrated with how minimal the magical aspect is and I still find it absurd how limited the British government's magical preparedness is. It's a HUGE national security problem but what ever.

Our government being unprepared for something major? How unrealistic is THAT??
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#22071 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 20 March 2018 - 08:38 AM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 20 March 2018 - 07:19 AM, said:

*noblewoman laugh*
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#22072 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 20 March 2018 - 08:50 AM

Tiste, you work/worked as a bobby, right? Do you really have a computer system called Holmes that feed information into, that then just spits out connections? Seems super fascinating.

#22073 User is online   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 20 March 2018 - 10:42 AM

Yeah sort of. We have a couple of national systems that share Intel and suchlike. There is data sharing across every force and intelligence units that work "bigger picture" stuff that enables us to deal with national and international crime gangs.

I've only read two or three of the Peter Grant novels but I remember enjoying the descriptions of life as a police officer it was quite relatable!

This post has been edited by Tiste Simeon: 20 March 2018 - 10:42 AM

A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#22074 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 20 March 2018 - 02:09 PM

Finished Ben Aaronovich "The Hanging Tree"- What a strangely low key Peter Grant book.

New characters are introduced, old ones are expanded upon but generally not much happened. For a book featuring the Faceless Man the plot sure took a surprising turn. I liked it, it fit into this narrative about the Folly trying to catch a modern day magical moriarty but the stakes were pretty low compared to the... 4th book?

It seems like the Folly is finally getting their ducks in a row and there might be instituted a more prepared response unit to magical bollocks in the future.

One aspect I did like was we got to see and hear a bit more about just how dangerous the River Gods are. A magical warrior ghost is a pretty cool bodyguard.

I'm surprised to read you found TREE low key... I thought it had the most action and magic v magic scenes of the books to date...

Spoiler

It also did the most to move the story forward of the last few books. More or less every plotline and character line is advanced by the end, except maybe Moly who is barely in the book, but near perfect comic relief just be reference to her cooking.

My only critique was that the titular Tree itself was barely a background reference :p .

View PostMaark Abbott, on 20 March 2018 - 08:38 AM, said:

View PostTiste Simeon, on 20 March 2018 - 07:19 AM, said:

*noblewoman laugh*

But that's a running point with that series. No one expected magic to come back to prominence and many are still hoping it will fade while some, like The Folly's immediate superiors and attached officers, are doing their best to get caught up to enemies who never stopped.

View PostAlternative Goose, on 20 March 2018 - 08:50 AM, said:

Tiste, you work/worked as a bobby, right? Do you really have a computer system called Holmes that feed information into, that then just spits out connections? Seems super fascinating.

View PostTiste Simeon, on 20 March 2018 - 10:42 AM, said:

Yeah sort of. We have a couple of national systems that share Intel and suchlike. There is data sharing across every force and intelligence units that work "bigger picture" stuff that enables us to deal with national and international crime gangs.

I've only read two or three of the Peter Grant novels but I remember enjoying the descriptions of life as a police officer it was quite relatable!

I've really enjoyed how generally low key the magic is in the series, and how Peter relies on real police work, and tries to integrate it with magic resources. It's part of the series' charm and one of its more original bits.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#22075 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 20 March 2018 - 02:58 PM

View PostMacros, on 20 March 2018 - 07:01 AM, said:

Damn you QT, I made a promise to myself not to buy any books for a month for two, my trp has like 30 fucking books in it

Sorry man. It's just a really solid book so far. Great character depth, action, and intrigue. Fun leads to follow, ect.

#22076 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 20 March 2018 - 03:04 PM

Matthew Stover really likes public urinals.

#22077 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 20 March 2018 - 03:28 PM

Pfft.... 30.

Amateur.

The e/e/TRPFH has subfolders in it with more books than that.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#22078 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 20 March 2018 - 04:03 PM

View PostAbyss, on 20 March 2018 - 03:28 PM, said:

Pfft.... 30.

Amateur.

The e/e/TRPFH has subfolders in it with more books than that.

I counted in January, I have 73 in the Physical ToRead Pile, and about 3-4 more in eBook folder for Kindle, so just over 75 total. It's enough that I've staved largely off buying new books this year (already buckled a time or two though), so try to make more of a dent in it.

#22079 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• My pen halts, though I do not
  • View gallery

Posted 20 March 2018 - 04:37 PM

I, uh, just went through my catalog on LibraryThing. My physical books (minus comics and reference books) numbers a little over 1500. Of those, I've read a little over 900. Ebooks (again, not including comics) is even worse: under 200 read out of 1500+. (Granted there's some amount of overlap in my unread physical and e-books, but still...yikes.)
"Here is light. You will say that it is not a living entity, but you miss the point that it is more, not less. Without occupying space, it fills the universe. It nourishes everything, yet itself feeds upon destruction. We claim to control it, but does it not perhaps cultivate us as a source of food? May it not be that all wood grows so that it can be set ablaze, and that men and women are born to kindle fires?"
―Gene Wolfe, The Citadel of the Autarch

#22080 User is offline   Andorion 

• God
  • Interests:All things Malazan, sundry sci-fi and fantasy, history, Iron Maiden

Posted 20 March 2018 - 04:57 PM

I have quite a few unread books piled up and an absolutely monumental to read list.

At the moment I am reading Soulless by Gail Carriger and really enjoying it. Fantasy of Manners is usually not my thing, but I like the characters and the story.

Also reading The Language of the Night which is the collected essays of Ursula Le Guin. I really like it so far.

Share this topic:

• 1473 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users