• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Reading at t'moment?

#28421 User is offline   Chance 

• Mortal Sword
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 04 September 2022 - 08:41 PM

Recently finished not just one but two long series of for me new books...well technically four. The Cradle series by Will Wight, Daniel Faust, Harmony Black and Wisdom's Grave by Craig Schaefer all of Schaefers book share a universe however) I think its time to indulge in a favorite re-read. Noticed Lord of Light hasn't been in my reading list for several years. So Lord of Light it is!

View PostSlow Ben, on 03 September 2022 - 05:17 PM, said:

View PostAvatar, on 01 September 2022 - 10:32 AM, said:

Started in Rothfuss' the Name of the Wind. Love the writing. The hate for him from some of the readers online seems pretty intense. And I got a bit worried after reading about the 3rd book might not be coming at all. But so far I'll just go along and take the risk it will be a 2 book-trilogy.

I love Name of the Wind. Dragoncow and all. I still reread it often. Which makes the shitshow that is Wise Mans Fear all the worse.

Agree the Name of the Wind when it came out was a wonderful book, it was kind of ruined a bit by Wise Mans Fear and the wait for book 3. But the Name of the Wind is still way better especially on the writing side then the majority of what is published in the genre. Even the Wise Mans Fear would probably have been a reasonable good book if two sections had been cut/toned down by Rothfuss editor those parts being Elf Sex Goddess Chapters and Ridiculous Warrior Culture Chapters.

This post has been edited by Chance: 04 September 2022 - 08:46 PM

#28422 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 06 September 2022 - 02:58 PM

View PostChance, on 04 September 2022 - 08:41 PM, said:

Recently finished not just one but two long series of for me new books...well technically four. The Cradle series by Will Wight, Daniel Faust, Harmony Black and Wisdom's Grave by Craig Schaefer all of Schaefers book share a universe however) I think its time to indulge in a favorite re-read. Noticed Lord of Light hasn't been in my reading list for several years. So Lord of Light it is!

View PostSlow Ben, on 03 September 2022 - 05:17 PM, said:

View PostAvatar, on 01 September 2022 - 10:32 AM, said:

Started in Rothfuss' the Name of the Wind. Love the writing. The hate for him from some of the readers online seems pretty intense. And I got a bit worried after reading about the 3rd book might not be coming at all. But so far I'll just go along and take the risk it will be a 2 book-trilogy.

I love Name of the Wind. Dragoncow and all. I still reread it often. Which makes the shitshow that is Wise Mans Fear all the worse.

Agree the Name of the Wind when it came out was a wonderful book, it was kind of ruined a bit by Wise Mans Fear and the wait for book 3. But the Name of the Wind is still way better especially on the writing side then the majority of what is published in the genre. Even the Wise Mans Fear would probably have been a reasonable good book if two sections had been cut/toned down by Rothfuss editor those parts being Elf Sex Goddess Chapters and Ridiculous Warrior Culture Chapters.

Posted Image
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#28423 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 10 September 2022 - 07:27 AM

Finished the Licanius Trilogy the other day

Man book 3 was.....a let down?
I think, I dont know if I liked it or loathed it, but on the whole underwhelming.
If I never have to read another description of a Kan structure I'l definitely be happy.

For all the high drama the emotion seemed almost sucked out of the book, and the big ending twist was called in very early.

but, books 1 and 2 where so much better I can't help but feel he should have went down the 4 books route (as he mentioned in his post script) Might have taken the sting out of some of the blatant Deus ex

#28424 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 13 September 2022 - 03:13 PM

View PostAbyss, on 24 August 2022 - 04:22 PM, said:

Just Finished RUIN OF KINGS, very satisfying ending and game changer for the next book, and moving to Lyons' second Chorus of Dragons book NAME OF ALL THINGS. It's a direct sequel, adding some new characters including a septagenerian horny grandmother spymaster who is rapidly stealing every scene she's in. The narrative focus has changed and the primary narrator isnt quite as skilled as the first book's at the rapid voice switching necessary but she seems to be getting better and the editors seem to have noticed and given her slightly longer pauses after about 20% of the way. Still enjoying this series.

Just Finished bk 2 THE NAME OF ALL THINGS... author Jenn Lyons stuck the landing again. The book meanders a bit more than the first one, telling a story parallel to bk 1 while maintaining the story-within-a-story narrative very nicely. The meandering serves to build the world out a bit further, and to the author's credit, whenever it seems like she's lost the path, more often than not she drops something in that changes the reader's view of other events, including in bk 1, so paying attention is rewarded. The action remains satisfying, and the finale is HUGE pure fantasy lit candy. Earbook narrators got steadily better, by halfway through anything i might have complained about was gone. THisa is solid, fun, creative fantasy. Deep but not Erikson deep, at times dark but nowhere close to Abercrombie dark, more like Mistborn Sanderson as opposed to Stormlight Archive Sanderson, with a dose of Victoria Schwab to keep it grounded.

Book 3 is on deck but NONA THE NINTH just landed and jumps to the top of the earpile!

#28425 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 13 September 2022 - 04:09 PM

Let us know what Nona is like.

I thought Harrow was a mixed bag so I'm not quite sure whether I wanted to read the third book.

#28426 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 13 September 2022 - 04:41 PM

View PostAptorian, on 13 September 2022 - 04:09 PM, said:

I thought Harrow was a mixed bag so I'm not quite sure whether I wanted to read the third book.

I don't read the series, but I heard the last book is an even bigger mixed bag, and the editor/publisher is at fault for reading the opening of said book, and deciding it's a whole 3rd book on its own, and the 4th (Alecto or something....) came into existence.

It sounds very much like a repeat of the AFFC ADWD split that so doomed the ASOIF book momentum.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#28427 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 13 September 2022 - 04:49 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 13 September 2022 - 04:41 PM, said:

I don't read the series, but I heard the last book is an even bigger mixed bag, and the editor/publisher is at fault for reading the opening of said book, and deciding it's a whole 3rd book on its own, and the 4th (Alecto or something....) came into existence.

It sounds very much like a repeat of the AFFC ADWD split that so doomed the ASOIF book momentum.

Yes I've heard similar. Wasn't enamored with Harrow and I'm not sure I'll bother with Nona. Much as I live Moira Quirk as a narrator!
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#28428 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 13 September 2022 - 08:07 PM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 13 September 2022 - 04:49 PM, said:

View PostQuickTidal, on 13 September 2022 - 04:41 PM, said:

Yes I've heard similar. Wasn't enamored with Harrow and I'm not sure I'll bother with Nona. Much as I live Moira Quirk as a narrator!

ALECTO was originally the third book, announced when HARROW was released and Muir was most of the way through a draft but not done. Somewhere during the writing of it NONA grew into its own book. I've seen the author's comments on the split, it seemed natural enough, haven't seen the editor faulted for moneygrabbing with any credibility tho i'm sure they were happy about it. I doubt the SIF split is any kind of analogy considering Nona simply replaced Alecto in the schedule and came out on time

HARROW was definitely a different beast from GIDEON - to my brain not as much as some of you thought - and a chapter in Nona is a different thing again. I'll let you know.

#28429 User is online   champ 

• Omnipotent Overseer of the Universe

Posted 13 September 2022 - 08:53 PM

Bloody hell, I got so busy at work I forgot all about Nona, sat chilling at home now for the last hour feeling like I am forgetting something... God dammit I'll start it tomorrow now.

I enjoyed Harrow, aye it was different but I'm still all in on the series. Just such an intriguing setting.

Tehol said:

'Yet my heart breaks for a naked hen.'

#28430 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 14 September 2022 - 03:20 AM

I'm re reading Harrow right now. I'll launch into Nona when I'm done.

So far, I think Harrow works quite well as a story that's about grieving and processing immense change on top of huge trauma from way back when.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#28431 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 14 September 2022 - 03:18 PM

View PostAbyss, on 27 May 2021 - 04:15 AM, said:

View PostAbyss, on 13 April 2020 - 04:36 AM, said:

NEVER DIE, described as a fantasy lit love letter to Wuxia films. Kid cuts a deal with a demon, must recruit dead heroes to help him kill a guy.

...enjoying it so far. Really does read like a classic Asian swordfeste with fantasy elements.

View PostAbyss, on 27 April 2020 - 05:02 AM, said:

Just Finished NEVER DIE, which was very entertaining. It truly is a wuxia film in book form.... demons, sword duels, absurd martial arts techniques... it's fairly short, moves along quickly... I enjoyed. May check out the author's other work.

Reading this now, and enjoying it quite a bit! Very much what I was in the mood for. I nabbed all four of the released books in this series at once on an ebook sale a month or so back. It's not quite CRADLE level for me, but it's touching that sphere of quick, pacey enjoyment in the martial arts milieu.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 14 September 2022 - 03:19 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#28432 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 14 September 2022 - 04:28 PM

View Postchamp, on 13 September 2022 - 08:53 PM, said:

Bloody hell, I got so busy at work I forgot all about Nona, sat chilling at home now for the last hour feeling like I am forgetting something... God dammit I'll start it tomorrow now.

I enjoyed Harrow, aye it was different but I'm still all in on the series. Just such an intriguing setting.

View Postamphibian, on 14 September 2022 - 03:20 AM, said:

So far, I think Harrow works quite well as a story that's about grieving and processing immense change on top of huge trauma from way back when.

At the 1/3rd'ish point and enjoying NONA. No spoilers here, i'll say it's a very very different book from GID and HARROW, but works well building out the world from the engaging perspective of the pov character. There is a LOT going on, and most of it is hinted at but not clear because Nona herself does not and cannot know. The hints that the reader will get even if Nona doesn't keep the pace moving nicely.

I occasionally wish i had reread bks 1 and 2 before this, but it's not essential, the odd glance at the internet helps where i needed a reminder who someone was.

#28433 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 15 September 2022 - 03:34 PM

View PostAbyss, on 14 September 2022 - 04:28 PM, said:

View Postchamp, on 13 September 2022 - 08:53 PM, said:

View Postamphibian, on 14 September 2022 - 03:20 AM, said:

At the 1/3rd'ish point and enjoying NONA. No spoilers here, i'll say it's a very very different book from GID and HARROW, but works well building out the world from the engaging perspective of the pov character. There is a LOT going on, and most of it is hinted at but not clear because Nona herself does not and cannot know. The hints that the reader will get even if Nona doesn't keep the pace moving nicely.

I occasionally wish i had reread bks 1 and 2 before this, but it's not essential, the odd glance at the internet helps where i needed a reminder who someone was.

A little further in and must add, if you thought this was some side story slotted into the trilo because money... no. Oh HELL NO. No spoilers, but rotting tonne of dangling questions from 1 and 2 are being answered (sort of) and it is like we were walking on the periphery of the story from bks 1 and 2 for a while then the author just jumpspinkicked us right back into the middle of it.

#28434 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• My pen halts, though I do not
  • View gallery

Posted 15 September 2022 - 03:34 PM

The inability to procure a black-edged copy of NONA (to match my GIDEON/HARROW set) for anything less than $150 has really soured me on the series for the time being. (HARROW's release also had the same effect on me, temporarily.) I almost wish I had never found the black-edged copy of Gideon in the first place, except then I'd have never have gotten into the series. I've got a couple of trilogies plus the Gideon/Harrow reread before I'd get to Nona, anyway, so I will likely just grab the ebook when it goes on sale in protest.

In the meantime, I've been working on Gemma Files' HEXSLINGER trilogy, currently on book 2. It's Old West meets magic meets bloodthirsty Aztec gods. Not a big fan of the many explicit dude-on-dude sex scenes in the first book, and the big climax in that book pretty much happens offscreen, but otherwise it's been a blast. (Files' EXPERIMENTAL FILM horror novel is probably my fave read of 2022 so far.)
"Here is light. You will say that it is not a living entity, but you miss the point that it is more, not less. Without occupying space, it fills the universe. It nourishes everything, yet itself feeds upon destruction. We claim to control it, but does it not perhaps cultivate us as a source of food? May it not be that all wood grows so that it can be set ablaze, and that men and women are born to kindle fires?"
―Gene Wolfe, The Citadel of the Autarch

#28435 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 15 September 2022 - 03:46 PM

View PostSalt-Man Z, on 15 September 2022 - 03:34 PM, said:

The inability to procure a black-edged copy of NONA (to match my GIDEON/HARROW set) for anything less than $150 has really soured me on the series for the time being. (HARROW's release also had the same effect on me, temporarily.) I almost wish I had never found the black-edged copy of Gideon in the first place, except then I'd have never have gotten into the series. I've got a couple of trilogies plus the Gideon/Harrow reread before I'd get to Nona, anyway, so I will likely just grab the ebook when it goes on sale in protest.

It seems super weird to me that the publisher would not cash in on the fact that so many people obviously like this effect. Sounds like the second one was hard to find with the Sprayed Edges too. I'd be super annoyed too. The fact that scams places like Ilumicrate have made stuff like this such a rarity should annoy everyone really.

#28436 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 15 September 2022 - 04:39 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 15 September 2022 - 03:46 PM, said:

View PostSalt-Man Z, on 15 September 2022 - 03:34 PM, said:

It seems super weird to me that the publisher would not cash in on the fact that so many people obviously like this effect. Sounds like the second one was hard to find with the Sprayed Edges too. I'd be super annoyed too. The fact that scams places like Ilumicrate have made stuff like this such a rarity should annoy everyone really.

It's comic limited special edition cover tactics applied to books.

#28437 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• My pen halts, though I do not
  • View gallery

Posted 15 September 2022 - 04:50 PM

Yeah, for HARROW I got a bonus at work and treated myself to a $70 black edition off a collectable books site. But GIDEON? I walked into the local Half Price Books and there was just a stack of them in all their sprayed-edged glory. Now they've become like an indie bookstore preorder bonus edition thing ("but we swear it's not a limited edition!")
"Here is light. You will say that it is not a living entity, but you miss the point that it is more, not less. Without occupying space, it fills the universe. It nourishes everything, yet itself feeds upon destruction. We claim to control it, but does it not perhaps cultivate us as a source of food? May it not be that all wood grows so that it can be set ablaze, and that men and women are born to kindle fires?"
―Gene Wolfe, The Citadel of the Autarch

#28438 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 16 September 2022 - 12:07 PM

Seen as my Kindle broke a while back I stopped reading the Crimson Empire trilogy. I'm not really missing it and find I don't care what happens. I may pick it up again but I've got no real care to do so.

In the meantime I'm reading the first book by The Secret Barrister called Stories of the Law and How It's Broken. It's a terrifying look at the British legal system in all its broken, ugly glory. I highly recommend it for anyone who is interested in law or works in it, which I pretty much do. Spoilers: it's a huge underfunded mess with no easy answers.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#28439 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 16 September 2022 - 02:33 PM

View PostSalt-Man Z, on 15 September 2022 - 04:50 PM, said:

Yeah, for HARROW I got a bonus at work and treated myself to a $70 black edition off a collectable books site. But GIDEON? I walked into the local Half Price Books and there was just a stack of them in all their sprayed-edged glory. Now they've become like an indie bookstore preorder bonus edition thing ("but we swear it's not a limited edition!")

It's totally a limited edition and they are loving the fans agonizing over it and buying multiple copies.

I can't hold it against them, they took a chance on the series/author and it's paying off huge.

#28440 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 16 September 2022 - 06:32 PM

I got my copy of Nona in the mail, and the pages aren't black, they're some weird pasty ivory type color. It's like lol, avoid the sun much? Musta been printed in the UK. Ah well, takes all kinds, takes all kinds.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

Share this topic:

• 1472 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

5 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users

1. Facebook