• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Reading at t'moment?

#27841 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• My pen halts, though I do not
  • View gallery
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 19 November 2021 - 10:43 PM

I mean, I enjoyed the second book well enough. Even if book three never materializes, I think the first book is still worth reading (and rereading) on its own.
"Here is light. You will say that it is not a living entity, but you miss the point that it is more, not less. Without occupying space, it fills the universe. It nourishes everything, yet itself feeds upon destruction. We claim to control it, but does it not perhaps cultivate us as a source of food? May it not be that all wood grows so that it can be set ablaze, and that men and women are born to kindle fires?"
―Gene Wolfe, The Citadel of the Autarch

#27842 User is offline   JPK 

• Lemming of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Sacrificing myself for everyone else's greater good!

Posted 20 November 2021 - 04:22 PM

I've had a busier week than expected and thus I haven't had the time to get as far into THE FALL OF BABEL as I had hoped. I'm coming up on the halfway point soon. I've got to give Bancroft some credit though, he knows how to slip a touch of comedy in when he needs to.

"Front to back, dab dab, finger under the pin"... Pure gold there.

#27843 User is offline   Gwynn ap Nudd 

• High Fist

Posted 23 November 2021 - 04:18 AM

I didn't enjoy Wise Mans Fear the first time I read it, but after seeing some other thread on here about the series I reread both books and thought the second one was decent then. The length of the sexy elf chick parts is kinda overblown on here too.

Spoiler

#27844 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 23 November 2021 - 08:12 PM

View PostAbyss, on 18 December 2019 - 08:35 PM, said:

Damn you audible.com Big Sale... DAAMMMNNNN YOOUUUUUUUU.....
Shadow Police trilogy (based on good buzz, tho i may return as apparently it was supposed to be five books and the publisher dropped the series)

View PostAbyss, on 31 October 2021 - 02:36 AM, said:

Starting THE SHADOW POLICE bk 1 LONDON FALLING.
Urban fantasy but wow, 30min in and it's pure cop story so far.

Just Finished the THE SHADOW POLICE trilo by Paul Cornell. AND I AM ANGRY THIS WILL NEVER BE MORE BOOKS.

Holy Hellfucks, this was a great series. Urban fantasy but very very grounded. The magic is low key and subtle (mostly), the protagonists just barely have any clue wtf is going on, the action is WILD, the characters are great, the villains effective and scary and genuinely challenging. Think Carey's FELIX CASTOR atmosphere with Aaronovich's PETER GRANT cop in London setting, and every so often a Jacka's ALEX VERUS level action scene.

In the first book LONDON FALLING the protagonists are a group of London police who are very loosely linked by a case they all work. By apparently sheer bad luck all four receive 'the sight' and become aware of London's magic, just in time to run up against a witch who makes Baba Yaga look like Sabrina. Seriously, this witch is scary and effective and borderline unstoppable and when they start to make any headway against her it is fucking rivetting. At one point i may have actualy shouted out loud when a plan went sideways.

The second book, THE SEVERED STREETS, involves a serial killer who may be a ghost, or Jack the Ripper, or something else entirely but is more or less unstoppable. Also, Neil Gaiman shows up.

The third, WHO KILLED SHERLOCK HOLMES, has some great twists as people who played the Great Detective keep dying.

Also, a devil, Hell, a conspiracy or two, police procedures, magic auctions... the setting is great fun and there is a lot of clever stuff going on. Also, no vampires, werewolves, wizards' guilds, councils, etc.

The characters are massively engaging, utterly out of their depth and just trying to cope and make police procedures fit with the impossible and having a way harder time of it than Peter Grant ever did. No kindly mentors, no explanations, they just have to figure it all out and when they get it wrong it is bad or worse and when they get it right the reader really feels the triumph.

Book three ends solid, there's a hook for book 4 which will never happen but it's barely an aside. If you're an urban fantasy fan and want a great change of pace i recommend.

Earbook narrator is brilliant.

THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#27845 User is offline   JPK 

• Lemming of High House Mafia
  • Interests:Sacrificing myself for everyone else's greater good!

Posted 23 November 2021 - 09:22 PM

I just finished THE FALL OF BABEL. Overall, I really liked it though I do have a couple small gripes. Bancroft did a good job wrapping up each character's storyline and I respect him for wrapping up each of them in a way that makes sense even if it isn't always how the reader hopes it's going to. I can hardly wait until a couple more of you get through this.

Next up is THE AIR WAR by Tchaikovsky. You've all managed to hype this up rather highly and I hope it can live up to it.

#27846 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 24 November 2021 - 04:35 AM

View PostJPK, on 23 November 2021 - 09:22 PM, said:

I just finished THE FALL OF BABEL. Overall, I really liked it though I do have a couple small gripes. Bancroft did a good job wrapping up each character's storyline and I respect him for wrapping up each of them in a way that makes sense even if it isn't always how the reader hopes it's going to. I can hardly wait until a couple more of you get through this.

Earbook dl completed, engaging.

#27847 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 24 November 2021 - 05:56 AM

View PostJPK, on 23 November 2021 - 09:22 PM, said:

Next up is THE AIR WAR by Tchaikovsky. You've all managed to hype this up rather highly and I hope it can live up to it.

Agreed. I'm hoping he'll revisit this universe again. While the ending was satisfying in how it wrapped up each character's story, I really want to know more about the final journey!

#27848 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 24 November 2021 - 08:40 AM

View PostMorgoth, on 19 November 2021 - 09:38 AM, said:

The second book was frustratingly mediocre anyways, a massive drop in quality from the first, and packed full of teenage wish fulfilment cliches.

Considering the first book is absolutely bang average 5/10 fare, I never bothered with the second. Everyone kept banging on about the prose and the fact that there was nothing particularly great about it, coupled with an unlikable main POV character meant it was not a series for me.
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#27849 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 24 November 2021 - 09:31 AM

oh my, a book review from Maark I agree with!

#27850 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 26 November 2021 - 04:25 PM

Finally. Finally getting to start The God is Not Willing.

Finally.
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#27851 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 26 November 2021 - 04:48 PM

View PostMaark Abbott, on 24 November 2021 - 08:40 AM, said:

View PostMorgoth, on 19 November 2021 - 09:38 AM, said:

The second book was frustratingly mediocre anyways, a massive drop in quality from the first, and packed full of teenage wish fulfilment cliches.

Considering the first book is absolutely bang average 5/10 fare, I never bothered with the second. Everyone kept banging on about the prose and the fact that there was nothing particularly great about it, coupled with an unlikable main POV character meant it was not a series for me.

It is slightly sloggy and Rothfuss seems to like to describe everything, which is mildly irritating. However, compared to the utter snoozefest that was Memory, Sorrow, Thorn, this feels like it is racing through everything so I can cope. Honestly, it's not the most taxing book ever and I am enjoying the story of Kvothe. I finally got past the "woe is me, an urchin on the streets for a few years" Scarpy seems pretty cool (despite being arrested) and he is finally leaving and heading to the university. Hasn't really felt like a drag so I am continuing, happily.

No Dragoncows yet.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#27852 User is offline   Zeto Demerzel 

• Sergeant

Posted 27 November 2021 - 06:02 AM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 26 November 2021 - 04:48 PM, said:

It is slightly sloggy and Rothfuss seems to like to describe everything, which is mildly irritating. However, compared to the utter snoozefest that was Memory, Sorrow, Thorn, this feels like it is racing through everything so I can cope. Honestly, it's not the most taxing book ever and I am enjoying the story of Kvothe. I finally got past the "woe is me, an urchin on the streets for a few years" Scarpy seems pretty cool (despite being arrested) and he is finally leaving and heading to the university. Hasn't really felt like a drag so I am continuing, happily.

No Dragoncows yet.

Dragoncows ... interesting way of putting it. My brain was calling it an extended chickenhunt back when I read the book.
MST book 3 (or 4 if you like), goes on a long slog, but atleast wraps things up at the end, albeit hurriedly. This book's end, if I remember right, went nowhere beyond the bloody hunt. I won't spoil you any further :)
I never was tempted to read book 2.

#27853 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 27 November 2021 - 12:41 PM

View PostZeto Demerzel, on 27 November 2021 - 06:02 AM, said:

No Dragoncows yet.

Dragoncows ... interesting way of putting it. My brain was calling it an extended chickenhunt back when I read the book.
MST book 3 (or 4 if you like), goes on a long slog, but atleast wraps things up at the end, albeit hurriedly. This book's end, if I remember right, went nowhere beyond the bloody hunt. I won't spoil you any further :)

MST was just one arduous journey over about 2000 pages that ends with "surprise, he's actually royalty and the bad guys are defeated somehow! Huzzah everything is perfect now!" I hated it so much by the end that no wrapping up could really do it justice IMO.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#27854 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 28 November 2021 - 03:50 AM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 27 November 2021 - 12:41 PM, said:

View PostZeto Demerzel, on 27 November 2021 - 06:02 AM, said:

No Dragoncows yet.

MST was just one arduous journey over about 2000 pages that ends with "surprise, he's actually royalty and the bad guys are defeated somehow! Huzzah everything is perfect now!" I hated it so much by the end that no wrapping up could really do it justice IMO.

Four books the size of an apartment building, thousands of pages of slogging thru every bad weather possible, so many characters whose primary motivation appears to be to have things to angst and complain about, barely one half decent action scene per book, and I almost bailed in the last 100 pages because the fucking elves started fucking singing at each other.

#27855 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 28 November 2021 - 04:39 AM

So I have pretty much finished everything in Will Wight's catalog. I didn't like anything other than the cradle series.

Each of his books always starts with an impoverished kid grubbing their way in the world with bullies around. This isn't a terrible beginning, but it gets old fast and it's only in the cradle series that he is able to get narratives to cohere, storylines to move into deeper stuff, and turn the action scenes into fun, meaningful scenes rather than bashing of dolls together. He's made a name for himself in the progression fantasy genre and I was curious to see what else was happening - much like I did with Erikson and Lundin.

I'm sorry to give the other books such a harsh review, but I do highly recommend the cradle series - all of it.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#27856 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 28 November 2021 - 05:38 AM

I'm 20% into The Fall of Babel and it is unfuckingbelievably good so far.

Bancroft is absolutely scorching the story.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#27857 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 28 November 2021 - 11:02 AM

about the same, and the same

#27858 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 28 November 2021 - 03:01 PM

View Postamphibian, on 28 November 2021 - 04:39 AM, said:

So I have pretty much finished everything in Will Wight's catalog. I didn't like anything other than the cradle series.

Each of his books always starts with an impoverished kid grubbing their way in the world with bullies around. This isn't a terrible beginning, but it gets old fast and it's only in the cradle series that he is able to get narratives to cohere, storylines to move into deeper stuff, and turn the action scenes into fun, meaningful scenes rather than bashing of dolls together. He's made a name for himself in the progression fantasy genre and I was curious to see what else was happening - much like I did with Erikson and Lundin.

I'm sorry to give the other books such a harsh review, but I do highly recommend the cradle series - all of it.

Just like to add in that Will himself is a really genuine dude who is always willing to engage fans and be really humble and down to earth.

I always come back to this story about him:

https://medium.com/@...ero-45a01546cc9
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#27859 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 29 November 2021 - 04:27 AM

View Postamphibian, on 28 November 2021 - 05:38 AM, said:

I'm 20% into The Fall of Babel and it is unfuckingbelievably good so far.

Bancroft is absolutely scorching the story.

View PostMacros, on 28 November 2021 - 11:02 AM, said:

about the same, and the same

Thirded.

#27860 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 29 November 2021 - 07:10 AM

Just finished P. Djeli Clark's "A Master of Djinn". The first full length novel in his Clockpunk Cairo universe.

Really good story. Great mix of urban fantasy and police mystery. A bit too predictable perhaps and I'd have liked more exploration of the setting but very enjoyable overall. Surprisingly woke too, for an early 1900s Cairo, with out getting obnoxious.

I'd say the biggest weakness the book has is that the story telegraphs a lot of the plot, through the efficient way it uses the characters and elements. There's a school of thought in writing that you shouldn't introduce a character or object unless you plan on using it directly in your story. That's a smart way of keeping your story lean but not a great tactic when you're writing detective fiction and not including red herrings.

I'd say this series has the potential to be a new and better rival to Ben Aaronovitch's Peter Grant/Rivers of London books.

This post has been edited by Aptorian: 29 November 2021 - 07:31 AM

Share this topic:

• 1473 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

15 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 15 guests, 0 anonymous users