• « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Reading at t'moment?

#27541 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 15 August 2021 - 02:56 AM

Reading POST CAPTAIN and I’m really starting to pick up the naval terminology now and the story is ripping along....but I don’t think I expected some of the insane action sequences to be so visceral...

Spoiler

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#27542 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 15 August 2021 - 09:56 PM

Ada Palmers Perhaps the Stars comes out in three weeks to complete her Terra Ignota quadrilogy, so I guess it's time for a re-read and for those of y'all who haven't gone for it yet to at least give a shot to probably the most hypnotically awesome major SFF series in the last few years.
I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

#27543 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 16 August 2021 - 12:19 AM

Do they go to outer space?
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#27544 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 16 August 2021 - 05:44 AM

Maybe
I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

#27545 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 16 August 2021 - 06:57 AM

Now that's intriguing! I'll bite.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#27546 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 16 August 2021 - 07:00 AM

View Postpolishgenius, on 15 August 2021 - 09:56 PM, said:

Ada Palmers Perhaps the Stars comes out in three weeks to complete her Terra Ignota quadrilogy, so I guess it's time for a re-read and for those of y'all who haven't gone for it yet to at least give a shot to probably the most hypnotically awesome major SFF series in the last few years.

I'm intrigued! Added to my Hive wishlist...
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#27547 User is offline   Cougar 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • View gallery
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 16 August 2021 - 09:40 AM

View PostQuickTidal, on 15 August 2021 - 02:56 AM, said:

Reading POST CAPTAIN and I'm really starting to pick up the naval terminology now and the story is ripping along....but I don't think I expected some of the insane action sequences to be so visceral...

Spoiler

The only issue I had with Post Captain was the amount of time spent discussing domestic arrangements and the niceties of society in the period, which I thought got a tiny bit tedious. Good series though.
I AM A TWAT

#27548 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 16 August 2021 - 11:55 AM

A wild Cougar appears! How the devil are you Jim?
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#27549 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 16 August 2021 - 12:39 PM

Pokéball go!

#27550 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 16 August 2021 - 12:41 PM

View PostCougar, on 16 August 2021 - 09:40 AM, said:

Reading POST CAPTAIN and I'm really starting to pick up the naval terminology now and the story is ripping along....but I don't think I expected some of the insane action sequences to be so visceral...

Spoiler

The only issue I had with Post Captain was the amount of time spent discussing domestic arrangements and the niceties of society in the period, which I thought got a tiny bit tedious. Good series though.

I have heard this as well from others. I've even heard some people say skip both M&C and POST CAPTAIN and start with H.M.S. SURPRISE to get over the denseness of the naval terms in the first book, and the Jane Austen-on-steroids-from-the-male-POV in the second. There is enough action in POST CAPTAIN to make it worth the time pushing through the land-based society stuff...and honestly, it's probably going to be good character stuff for Jack and Stephen anyways in the long run. And if I skipped this one I'd have missed that amazing action sequence AND the Bear suit.

I've heard that the 3rd book is the point where most people really feel the series takes off, so I'll probably plow into it right away after this.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#27551 User is offline   Cougar 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • View gallery

Posted 16 August 2021 - 01:29 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 16 August 2021 - 12:41 PM, said:

View PostCougar, on 16 August 2021 - 09:40 AM, said:

Spoiler

I have heard this as well from others. I've even heard some people say skip both M&C and POST CAPTAIN and start with H.M.S. SURPRISE to get over the denseness of the naval terms in the first book, and the Jane Austen-on-steroids-from-the-male-POV in the second. There is enough action in POST CAPTAIN to make it worth the time pushing through the land-based society stuff...and honestly, it's probably going to be good character stuff for Jack and Stephen anyways in the long run. And if I skipped this one I'd have missed that amazing action sequence AND the Bear suit.

I've heard that the 3rd book is the point where most people really feel the series takes off, so I'll probably plow into it right away after this.

I'd certainly not recommend skipping them either. Post Captain sets out stuff you'd never work out without reading it about their wider relationships. I did struggle with the 'Jane Austen on steroids' stuff - a description I think very apt - which is odd, because I quite liked Jane Austen and never felt that Persuasion, for example, suffered from a lack of naval battles.

And yes, big cat fans, it is indeed me.

I AM A TWAT

#27552 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 16 August 2021 - 01:32 PM

View PostCougar, on 16 August 2021 - 01:29 PM, said:

I'd certainly not recommend skipping them either. Post Captain sets out stuff you'd never work out without reading it about their wider relationships. I did struggle with the 'Jane Austen on steroids' stuff - a description I think very apt - which is odd, because I quite liked Jane Austen and never felt that Persuasion, for example, suffered from a lack of naval battles.

And yes, big cat fans, it is indeed me.

Yes, having read the first and some of the second, I agree that this is table setting I know I'll need, and it's not too bad at all.

#27553 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 17 August 2021 - 06:44 PM

View PostChance, on 13 August 2021 - 07:29 PM, said:

View PostAbyss, on 11 August 2021 - 04:23 AM, said:

Stephen Blackmoore came to my attention on twitter because Peter (14 THE FOLD EX-HEROES) Clines posted praise and Blackmoore responded with something funny and self-deprecating and lately i find a lot of new authors this way.
[size=2]

I just finished the first four books in the series in earbook - DEAD THINGS, BROKEN SOULS, HUNGRY GHOSTS and FIRE SEASON. Each is novella short, about 5-6 hours. The character is engaging... he does the hardcase thing but underlying that he's a mess. The magic 'system' is not explored in huge detail, varies all the times, and while it's inconsistent there's usually a reason for it. The action scenes are a blast (and/or shot, stab, bite) especially in earbook.

It's faster than Carey's FELIX CASTOR, not as sheer Hollywood kaboom as Butcher's DRESDEN, darker than Aaronovich's PETER GRANT, and the protag is a bigger mess than Jacka's ALEX VERUS. If you're fed up with any of those, i wouldn't grab this just now. If you want more with enough variety and originality to hold your interest, i reco.

Books 5 and 6 are out, apparently 7 will finish the series. Will be getting them all.

Posted Image

Good recommendation was just the right thing to read right now. To me it sits dead center between Dresden and Sandman Slim in style and content.

Already into the third book, these are short, easy and fun reads.

Just bought the book 5 earbook. Will hit that once am done w FEED.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#27554 User is offline   Chance 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 17 August 2021 - 08:39 PM

View PostAbyss, on 17 August 2021 - 06:44 PM, said:

View PostChance, on 13 August 2021 - 07:29 PM, said:

Good recommendation was just the right thing to read right now. To me it sits dead center between Dresden and Sandman Slim in style and content.

Already into the third book, these are short, easy and fun reads.

Just bought the book 5 earbook. Will hit that once am done w FEED.

Up to the fourth book now and will be getting book 5 and 6 soon. Think it is unusually well planned and very nicely executed.

But taking a break reading some military sf in between with Aftershock which is really very low key for the genre and I like it.

This post has been edited by Chance: 17 August 2021 - 08:39 PM

#27555 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 17 August 2021 - 09:34 PM

Finally got round to Dune.

Good impressions so far.
So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#27556 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 18 August 2021 - 02:13 AM

View PostChance, on 17 August 2021 - 08:39 PM, said:

(ERIC CARTER series by Stephen Blackmore..)

... Think it is unusually well planned and very nicely executed. ...

I think you hit something on the head there. For all that the books are relatively short, they move fast and accomplish a lot. There's no meandering. Carter ends each book different from how he started. The supporting cast, tho fun, get less development (the ones that survive anyways), and the story moves.

Am psyched for bk 5 GHOST MONEY, it looks like it will incorporate Chinese mythology.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#27557 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 19 August 2021 - 07:49 AM

Still grinding on with Karsa is Cross. The sheen has definitely worn off a bit as by and large the marine segments are kind of... boring? The stuff with Rant is much more intriguing.
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#27558 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 19 August 2021 - 07:54 AM

View PostMaark Abbott, on 19 August 2021 - 07:49 AM, said:

Still grinding on with Karsa is Cross. The sheen has definitely worn off a bit as by and large the marine segments are kind of... boring? The stuff with Rant is much more intriguing.

I mean it's become popular so you were bound to dislike it regardless!
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#27559 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 19 August 2021 - 01:26 PM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 19 August 2021 - 07:54 AM, said:

Brainlet comment.
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#27560 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 19 August 2021 - 02:04 PM

View PostMaark Abbott, on 19 August 2021 - 01:26 PM, said:

View PostTiste Simeon, on 19 August 2021 - 07:54 AM, said:

Brainlet comment.

He's not wrong though.

Share this topic:

• 1478 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

27 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 27 guests, 0 anonymous users