• « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Reading at t'moment?

#26921 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 19 January 2021 - 05:34 PM

View PostAptorian, on 19 January 2021 - 04:56 PM, said:

Just started The Never Ending Story by Michael Ende. I barely remember the movie now a days. Something about a big rock giant, an evil wolf and the saddest horse death scene in a movie.

The version I'm reading is a new print with a beautiful cover. The kids passages are printed in red text and Atreju's in blue.

Know that the movie only covered half the book, and Ende HATED it, and he hated the sequel (which incorporated elements of the second half of the book, but destroyed them and made its own thing).

This is all to say I've heard the book is FAR superior to the movie(s).

I have never read it, what edition did you get?...maybe I'll finally grab it and read it.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#26922 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 19 January 2021 - 06:28 PM

It's a Danish translation. Don't know if the new cover is international or a Danish flavor:

https://www.bog-ide....wE&gclsrc=aw.ds

#26923 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 19 January 2021 - 06:49 PM

View PostAptorian, on 19 January 2021 - 06:28 PM, said:

It's a Danish translation. Don't know if the new cover is international or a Danish flavor:

https://www.bog-ide....wE&gclsrc=aw.ds

That's a lovely cover, but it must be only Danish as I can't find it. Ah well, they English covers are nice too, and there is an illustrated version too.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#26924 User is offline   Zeto Demerzel 

• Sergeant
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 20 January 2021 - 10:48 AM

1 - Finished Siege of Terra 3 - The First Wall. Thought it was a bit rubbish apart from one nice pre-climactic twist. Didn't buy much of what happened, didn't see the point of the rest. Humdrum stuff for the most part. At one point:
Spoiler

Moving on to Sons of Selenar (same series) next.

2 - Finished Tales of the Ketty Jay 2 - The Black Lung Captain. Loved it although although Frey's actions in the climax made me uncomfortable - thought they were out-of-character and ridiculously ill-advised. It all worked out though!

3 - Earbooking First King of Shannara based on QT's advice and it's been good so far. The only downside is that the narrator (Scott Brick) is atrocious.

4 - Just started Khaavren Romances 2 - Five Hundred Years After. Maybe I'm a glutton for punishment but I'm loving the writing style and the fact that Brust can pull of such varied styles.

#26925 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 20 January 2021 - 09:18 PM

Finished the first two parts of Gameshouse by North.

Again something wildly different from her other offerings and a lot of fun so far

#26926 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 20 January 2021 - 09:18 PM

I made some predictions to myself after part one, so far I'd say I'm on the right track.

#26927 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 20 January 2021 - 10:02 PM

Nope.

50% correct.

I figured the game would be WW2

#26928 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 20 January 2021 - 10:44 PM

I'm on the third one now Macros, safe to say there's been some surprises along the way, really enjoying it.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#26929 User is offline   Yllana 

• Corporal

Posted 21 January 2021 - 10:53 AM

haven't posted here in a while...I've totally run out of fantasy series I'm interested in and are kind of desperate. My favourite authors are taking their sweet time with their books and Goodreads is so not helpful. So..
Does anyone have experience with the Chronicles of the Unhewn Throne books? Are they worth reading and on what level compared to MBotF? Any other good, modern series you could recommend?If I should put this into a separate thread, please tell me *bow*

#26930 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 21 January 2021 - 11:26 AM

Not comparable to Malazan in scope, I'd say it does what it does well, it's a solid enough series, and in some respects benefits from the smaller scale, it's tighter than Malazan on a lot of fronts, not too much navel gazing for a start.

If you enjoy things like.....Anthony Ryan's Tower series I'd say go for it

#26931 User is offline   Chance 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 21 January 2021 - 11:28 AM

Still trying to get through the Craft Sequence shouldn't be hard I like it but the reading time just isn't there.

View PostYllana, on 21 January 2021 - 10:53 AM, said:

haven't posted here in a while...I've totally run out of fantasy series I'm interested in and are kind of desperate. My favourite authors are taking their sweet time with their books and Goodreads is so not helpful. So..
Does anyone have experience with the Chronicles of the Unhewn Throne books? Are they worth reading and on what level compared to MBotF? Any other good, modern series you could recommend?If I should put this into a separate thread, please tell me *bow*

It's decent a lot of people like it, me and quite a few others accuse it of being a bit too stupid to be good a lot of the time.

This post has been edited by Chance: 21 January 2021 - 11:32 AM

#26932 User is offline   Yllana 

• Corporal

Posted 21 January 2021 - 12:05 PM

me and quite a few others accuse it of being a bit too stupid to be good a lot of the time.

stupid how? Any other recent series you could recommend right now? I'm not really into Grimdark, but do like my books gritty.

#26933 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 21 January 2021 - 12:25 PM

Hundred and twenty pages or so into The Never Ending story. This book is delightful. It's a children's book so the language isn't to heavy or flowery and the locations and characters are colorful and fairytale like. And the whole world is full of boundless creativity. This is basically everything I want out of a fantasy book.

Did you know Atreju actually has green skin and blue hair? Also the luck dragon is decidedly more chinese and less hairy dog-like.

#26934 User is offline   End of Disc One 

• House Knight

Posted 21 January 2021 - 01:40 PM

I'm on the last book right now and I really enjoy the series. The scope is not close to Malazan, but more typical for an epic fantasy trilogy. The first book is quite narrow with most of the time spent on two characters in a training academy type setting. I didn't think that was something I wanted to read about again, but the storytelling is quite good. I'd say Blood Song is a good comparison for the first book.

Regarding the "stupidity" that people criticize the books for, most of it is the characters working off of limited information and not sharing what they know with each other. IMO their decisions make sense and they have good reasons to not trust each other. Then there are characters that they should know NOT to trust but they do anyway, but again I think sort of it makes sense.

#26935 User is offline   Yllana 

• Corporal

Posted 21 January 2021 - 01:51 PM

I wonder if there are any recent fantasy books of similar scope to Malazan. I feel they either go down the Grimdark route too much or they are older, more "innocent" books like WoT or something. The last series with really interesting world building I read was Red Rising, but where is that 6th book....
Thanks for the info on Unhewn Throne, I think I'll just give the first book a shot.

#26936 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 21 January 2021 - 02:19 PM

View PostYllana, on 21 January 2021 - 01:51 PM, said:

I wonder if there are any recent fantasy books of similar scope to Malazan. I feel they either go down the Grimdark route too much or they are older, more "innocent" books like WoT or something. The last series with really interesting world building I read was Red Rising, but where is that 6th book....
Thanks for the info on Unhewn Throne, I think I'll just give the first book a shot.

UNHEWN is good and I enjoyed it. Definitely has an Asian flavour to it, so that's refreshing in high fantasy. The last book is divisive, but I liked it.

I would also check out John Gwynne's Faithful & The Fallen series if you've not yet. I read book 1 only so far but quite enjoyed it. It's kind of like Joe Abercrombie without the bleakness and much higher fantasy elements.

#26937 User is offline   Yllana 

• Corporal

Posted 21 January 2021 - 03:17 PM

Abercrombie without the bleakness sounds good. I quite like his writing style and his characterization, but the way everything always ends up shittier than at the beginning in his books just makes me mad. Except for in Best Served Cold, I loved that one.

#26938 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 21 January 2021 - 03:21 PM

I quite like the Chronicles of the Unhewn. At first, it seems a bit "watch a character go through military school", yet it transforms into something much bigger and better. I also think Skullsworn (the prequel that was written after the first three books) is an exceptional book, especially after reading the first three.

I highly recommend them and will be getting the new book when it releases in July this year.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#26939 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 21 January 2021 - 03:58 PM

Read some cracking books recently. Read a standalone called THE STARLESS SEA by Erin Morgenstern. A beautiful and wonderful fantasy in a richly woven world about a subterranean library and whole universe built on stories and the people who go/live/work there and it's links to our world.

Read THE GAMESHOUSE sequence (3 novellas) by Claire North who is definitely my favourite author behind SE. Each story is mostly it's own thing but they culminate in the third one. It's hard to describe but they're all pretty short so worth reading.

In audiobook I've been listening to the First Law trilogy and have finished THE BLADE ITSELF and have moved onto BEFORE THEY ARE HANGED. You all have likely read this before me so you know it but I love the characters and the humour (dark though it mostly is).
Glokta especially is a brilliant character (bad guy? I guess?) May have to get more Abercrombie books after this especially if they're narrated by the same guy, who is marvelous.

Onto the next thing which is THE EARTHSEA series by Le Guin. I got the fantastic illustrated omnibus edition for my birthday last year. It's been years since I read them so I'm looking forward to it.

Also planning on re-reading MISTBORN soon(ish) as I was chatting about it on Reddit and remembered how much I enjoyed it.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#26940 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 21 January 2021 - 04:11 PM

Finished my Bear and the Nightingale series re-read, and am now working through some books that were Christmas presents to others, now lent after they read them.

First up, Bill Bailey's Remarkable Guide to Happiness - other contenders include Bernard Cornwell's War Lord and Dan Walker's Remarkable People.
- Wyrd bið ful aræd -

Share this topic:

• 1472 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

6 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users