• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Reading at t'moment?

#26281 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 06 June 2020 - 05:47 AM

Yes. ART turns out to be great. I love how Murderbot has to apologize for ARTs behavior and soothe the transport AI because ART is scary to small bots.

Finished Artificial Condition last night. Great little story. Like the first book I don't think the story itself is anything to write home about but there's this lightness and ease of the telling that's enjoyable, greatly amplified by the way Wells writes about Murderbots interaction with the world and other characters and bots.

I love how it's established that bots are sort of their own ecosystem with rules and logic. Which mostly seems to revolve around boredom and the pleasure of a job well done.

#26282 User is offline   T77 

• High Fist
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 06 June 2020 - 01:02 PM

Finished N.K Jemisin's latest The City We Became. I thought it was really good, but the premise started to wear a bit thin as the book went on and I started to lose a little interest towards the middle. But, I will definitely finish the trilogy.

#26283 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 06 June 2020 - 05:48 PM

Finished the third Murderbot book, Rogue Protocol. Awhh, this one ended on a sad note. Murderbots reaction to Abene and Miki's friendship and the ending was heartbreaking.

Onward to Exit Strategy then I'll finish Bonehunters and buy Network Effect, Wells has earned my money.

This post has been edited by Aptorian: 06 June 2020 - 05:49 PM

#26284 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 07 June 2020 - 03:32 AM

View PostAptorian, on 06 June 2020 - 05:47 AM, said:

Finished Artificial Condition last night. Great little story. Like the first book I don't think the story itself is anything to write home about but there's this lightness and ease of the telling that's enjoyable, greatly amplified by the way Wells writes about Murderbots interaction with the world and other characters and bots. ...

This exactly. The settings, plots, supporting cast, none of them are original, but from Murderbot's pov, utterly engaging.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#26285 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 07 June 2020 - 01:54 PM

Finished the fourth Murderbot book, Exit Strategy. Nice ending. I guess the fifth book could go pretty much anywhere from there.

I hope Wells has expanded upon the formula a bit in Network Effect. Four books of Murderbot hacking stuff and then murdering things is cool but lacks variation.

#26286 User is offline   Mercury 

• Recruit

Posted 08 June 2020 - 05:41 PM

Garage sale shopping with my Auntie last weekend and now I’m reading Unbound by Stuart Woods.
Messenger of the Gods

#26287 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 08 June 2020 - 05:54 PM

Never heard of Stuart Woods before but apparently unbound is the 44th(!) Stone Barrington book. That's crazy.

This post has been edited by Aptorian: 08 June 2020 - 05:54 PM

#26288 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 10 June 2020 - 01:02 PM

Reading ONE PIECE manga from the start. It's going to be a long journey, but I've already blitzed through the first 2 volumes in about an hour, so not too long. I thought I liked the anime of this story, but man the manga is even better!
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#26289 User is offline   Andorion 

• God
  • Interests:All things Malazan, sundry sci-fi and fantasy, history, Iron Maiden

Posted 10 June 2020 - 04:24 PM

So I have been reading a lot in lockdown
Recent reads:
TS Frohock - Los Nefilim and Where Oblivion Lives. Nice take on a modern urbanish fantasy with angels and Nefilim where the Nefilim are the protagonists. I liked.

Samantha Shannon - The Priory of the Orange Tree - Excellent ideas and worldbuilding, good characters. Last part was smushed and hurried. This book was born to be a duology.

Saad Hussein - The Gurkha and the Lord of Tomorrow - its a novella. Funny and imaginative, about a powerful Djinn waking up in the Himalayas. I loved it

#26290 User is offline   T77 

• High Fist

Posted 11 June 2020 - 05:00 PM

Finished Spider-man: The Darkest Hours by Jim Butcher. It was decent.

#26291 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 11 June 2020 - 05:39 PM

I've put off reading Leigh Bardugo's KING OF SCARS for a while (I've owned it a long time) because I was waiting for the second book in the Duology to be closer to release so I'd not have to wait too long between them...and it sounds like she's about to announce the release date of the second so I've started KING OF SCARS....now it's super fun to see Nikolai again, and Zoya for that matter...but after reading the Six of Crows books...it's Nina that owns my heart, and seeing her pop up after what happened in CROOKED KINGDOM made me grin from ear to ear. She may be my fave character in this whole series....though Inej and Kaz give her a tiny run for her money.

Man, I adore this whole series. Can't wait for the TV show later this year!
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#26292 User is offline   Mercury 

• Recruit

Posted 11 June 2020 - 10:27 PM

Toll the Hounds by Steven Erikson. This is such a heavy book which I in no way mean literally. I am stunned and in awe and if I’m honest reluctant to give it back to its owner afterwards but ofcourse I will.
Messenger of the Gods

#26293 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 12 June 2020 - 09:44 PM

Finished the audiobook of WORLD WAR Z and man it could be the best earbook I've ever experienced! So good, superb cast of characters.

Now listening to 16 WAYS TO DEFEND A WALLED CITY.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#26294 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 13 June 2020 - 05:30 PM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 12 June 2020 - 09:44 PM, said:

Finished the audiobook of WORLD WAR Z and man it could be the best earbook I've ever experienced! So good, superb cast of characters.

Did you know Max Brooks has a new book coming out? Called Devolution

I am reading a very old series - Valdemar. I have read the first trilogy Heralds, and I loved it. Now moving onto Heraldmage

#26295 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 14 June 2020 - 12:44 AM

View PostQuickTidal, on 14 June 2020 - 12:42 AM, said:

View PostAndorion, on 13 June 2020 - 05:30 PM, said:

I am reading a very old series - Valdemar. I have read the first trilogy Heralds, and I loved it. Now moving onto Heraldmage

I've only read ARROWS OF THE QUEEN, but I enjoyed it..should I keep going then?

I just finished that trilogy and I really think you should. Book 2 is slow, but that's because its all character work. Book 3 though is extremely eventful and quite dark.

#26296 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 14 June 2020 - 12:54 AM

View PostAndorion, on 14 June 2020 - 12:44 AM, said:

View PostQuickTidal, on 14 June 2020 - 12:42 AM, said:

I've only read ARROWS OF THE QUEEN, but I enjoyed it..should I keep going then?

I just finished that trilogy and I really think you should. Book 2 is slow, but that's because its all character work. Book 3 though is extremely eventful and quite dark.

So I stalled out on book 1 Initially as nothing was happening, but I went back to it later and finished it...and yeah, it was good after it picked up. I’ll check out the rest of the trilogy then and see if the series is for me. Thanks Ando!

#26297 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 14 June 2020 - 09:21 AM

I did not!

Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City is pretty gosh darn funny. Really like the protagonist and the narrator giving him a folksy Yorkshire voice is excellent.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#26298 User is offline   Hammerhead88 

• Sergeant

Posted 14 June 2020 - 12:30 PM

I'm 50 pages into crooked little vein. I love it.

#26299 User is offline   T77 

• High Fist

Posted 14 June 2020 - 12:58 PM

Finished The City of Brass, it started out well enough, but then it just slipped into mediocrity and I lost interest.

#26300 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 14 June 2020 - 02:50 PM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 14 June 2020 - 09:21 AM, said:

I did not!

Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City is pretty gosh darn funny. Really like the protagonist and the narrator giving him a folksy Yorkshire voice is excellent.

Yeah I loved it. this and Folding Knife - I liked them both. I love Parker as a writer. He focuses on the things that interest me and the snark in the narration is excellent

Share this topic:

• 1472 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users