Malazan Empire: Reading at t'moment? - Malazan Empire

Jump to content

  • 1322 Pages +
  • « First
  • 1284
  • 1285
  • 1286
  • 1287
  • 1288
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Reading at t'moment?

#25701 User is offline   Abyss 

  • abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Posts: 18,577
  • Joined: 22-May 03
  • Location:The call is coming from inside the house!!!!
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 04 January 2019 - 04:33 AM

Counterpoint: MILKWEED is great. Ffs it's British sorcerors vs Nazi mutants during WW2.

Just finished BROTHERHOOD OF THE WHEEL 2:KING OF THE ROAD. Great fun. No prizes for brilliance but fast paced action in a fun urban fantasy world with great yet very human characters. Sons of Anarchy vs werewolves and cops vs killer clowns... I enjoyed. Minor complaint that
Spoiler
But that's barely a thing.

Started Hannu Rajaniemi's SUMMERLAND. Stopped a few chapters in. For the level of imagination and originality his JEAN LE FLAMBEUR trilo hit, this was trite, with far too much exposition. I love the idea of an espionage story set as this was crossing a populated afterlife ... but that was where it ended for me. Everything about it just felt done and tiresome. And far too much 'tell don't show'.

Moved along to Jonathan French's THE GREY BASTARDS. Muuuuch better. War-hog mounted half orc border patrol mercs ftw.
CHASE: Paw Patrol is ready for action Mr Pust sir!
PUST: *pauses ranting* What does that mean?
ZUMA: It means let's dive in, dude!
PUST: What? What is a dude? WHAT DOES THAT EVEN MEAN?????
-The Malazan Book of the Paw Patrol
0

#25702 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

  • [MAXIMUM DISGRUNTLEMENT]
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Posts: 2,587
  • Joined: 11-November 14
  • Location:Barnsley, UK
  • Interests:Bringing literacy to the folk of Yorkshire

Posted 04 January 2019 - 08:16 AM

View PostQuickTidal, on 03 January 2019 - 02:13 PM, said:

View PostMaark Abbott, on 03 January 2019 - 08:45 AM, said:

I still don't feel up to reading full length novels again yet.


Hey man, when you're in a slump, you gotta re-start small and work your way up. Take your time, it will come back.



I wonder if a slump is the right word, it's more like a... crevasse. Yes, that seems more sizeable. Still, reading something a little brainless and slice-of-life seems to be helping bit by bit. What I really need though is a good Bakkakening.







Facebook - www.facebook[dotcom]/MaarkAbbottWriting / Twitter - @MAbbottWriting / I'm on Goodreads somewhere as well

XBL - Shoryukos / Steam - Angryμaark / PSN - AngryMaark

Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle
0

#25703 User is offline   JPK 

  • Lemming of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Posts: 975
  • Joined: 18-January 11
  • Location:Oregon City, Oregon
  • Interests:Sacrificing myself for everyone else's greater good!

Posted 04 January 2019 - 04:37 PM

So after reading three Robin Hobb books in a row I decided to try something different and crack open Palimpsest by Catherynne Valente. I'm about 20% into it now and wondering if I should continue. On one hand, it has some gorgeously written prose in any section that features the city. On the other hand, I can't figure out if this is actually going to develop into anything beyond the pattern that has been set up:

Spoiler


Would someone that has read it be able to weigh in and help me figure out if I'm just wasting my time here?

This post has been edited by JPK: 04 January 2019 - 04:40 PM

0

#25704 User is offline   polishgenius 

  • Heart of Courage
  • Group: LHTEC
  • Posts: 4,692
  • Joined: 16-June 05

Posted 04 January 2019 - 06:09 PM

There is definitely an endgame, yeah, it's not just a series of vignettes like that. It's quite a fractured novel still but it coalesces.
I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.
0

#25705 User is offline   Tsundoku 

  • Make the Empire Great Again
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Posts: 2,821
  • Joined: 06-January 03
  • Location:Maison de merde

Posted 05 January 2019 - 07:06 AM

View PostQuickTidal, on 03 January 2019 - 02:13 PM, said:

I'll give a little taster of the world: If you're rich enough, you can buy "proxies" from poor people, which are newborn babies that have their life-span magically taken and infused into the buyer, giving them 80 more years or however long the Span-seer (the person who does the transfer) says the child would have lived. The child dies during this process, and the buyer gets unnaturally long life. Now imagine an evil and mad king who has lived 278 years this way, and is suffering from sickness brought on by the "transfer magic", hell bent on conquering the world and killing everyone in his way.


Sounds like an article on DJT and the 1%.

This post has been edited by Tsundoku: 05 January 2019 - 07:07 AM

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes
0

#25706 User is offline   Zetubal 

  • Lieutenant
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Posts: 148
  • Joined: 29-August 17
  • Location:Germany
  • Interests:Language

Posted 05 January 2019 - 10:47 AM

Last time I posted in this thread, couple days before Christmas, I had just finished the first Black Company novel. Since then, I've actually finished both the second (Shadows Linger) and third novel (The White Rose), and I am now reading the fourth one, Shadow Games. Have to say, the series really grows on you. I really enjoyed the plot around Marron Shed in the second one and was subsequently sad at the end. To me, that guy is an antihero done right. The White Rose was also fairly good, I liked the narrative gimmick of jumping between timelines and perspectives, even though at times it was a bit frustrating how little progress Croaker's story made between these jumps.
Probably some of the best stuff about this original trilogy is how it retains the small-scale up and close personal feeling even in grand battles. By comparison, some other fantasy stories seem almost disjointed when they describe large battles and how the protagonists experience them - as if the two were separate things. Black Company does a much better job at retaining sort of a narrative unity.
The fourth book (I'm like halfway through) is again very intriguing with all the mystery surrounding the guys in Taglios, the Company's history, and the Shadowmasters though the latter seem fairly cliché at this point.

On a side note: Having read these books, I find it really obvious to see how Erikson pays hommage to Cook's Black Company in his books. Which is a good thing, mind you.

This post has been edited by Zetubal: 05 January 2019 - 10:48 AM

1

#25707 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

  • Reaper's Fail
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Posts: 1,898
  • Joined: 10-May 10
  • Location:Westchester, NY

Posted 05 January 2019 - 01:57 PM

View PostTsundoku, on 05 January 2019 - 07:06 AM, said:

View PostQuickTidal, on 03 January 2019 - 02:13 PM, said:

I'll give a little taster of the world: If you're rich enough, you can buy "proxies" from poor people, which are newborn babies that have their life-span magically taken and infused into the buyer, giving them 80 more years or however long the Span-seer (the person who does the transfer) says the child would have lived. The child dies during this process, and the buyer gets unnaturally long life. Now imagine an evil and mad king who has lived 278 years this way, and is suffering from sickness brought on by the "transfer magic", hell bent on conquering the world and killing everyone in his way.


Sounds like an article on DJT and the 1%.


Is this only available as an ebook?
0

#25708 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

  • Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Posts: 9,498
  • Joined: 08-October 04
  • Location:T'North

Posted 05 January 2019 - 02:37 PM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 03 January 2019 - 01:07 PM, said:

Today I started the Earbook version of The Fifth Season. The narrator is strange but oddly I feel her voice fits the way the narrative is structured. The second person perspective is weird but I guess I can get used to it. I have no idea what is happening though. Some dude managed to rip a hole in the sky and kill millions for some reason? Then it hasn't effected the woman whose son is dead and she has some secret that only the Doctor man knows about?

It's intriguing enough for me to continue but the way it's written is going to take a bit of getting used to I think. I've got all three on Audible so I'm definitely in but it's been awkward getting into it this far.

Well what a difference a few more trips to work makes! Wow, FIFTH SEASON is just incredible stuff now. The narrator and the style of writing has *seriously* grown on me and I am really loving the three entwining orogen stories that are so far completely unrelated. Really hooked now.

Though I have to giggle whenever the study of their powers is mentioned the way she says it makes it sound like erogeny which to me sounds like the study of the erogenous zones... Which, when you take into account the horrific breeding ideas that the have in the fulcrum I guess isn't too far off the mark... That was somewhat uncomfortable.

The second person perspective is still weird but I'm ok with it. Not sure the reason behind it but it doesn't throw me out.

This post has been edited by Tiste Simeon: 05 January 2019 - 02:38 PM

A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.
1

#25709 User is offline   Mentalist 

  • Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Posts: 7,394
  • Joined: 06-June 07
  • Location:'sauga/GTA, City of the Lion
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 05 January 2019 - 03:23 PM

Finished "Fell Sword". Quite liked where all the plot lines went, and the ending gives a good set-up for future books.

Now, turning to my somewhat New Year's resolution of not buying more books until I thinned down the numbers of already purchased books: I'll start Hobb's "Ship of Magic" at home, and take the last Bel Dame Apocrypha book, "Rapture" as commute.
The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.
0

#25710 User is offline   JPK 

  • Lemming of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Posts: 975
  • Joined: 18-January 11
  • Location:Oregon City, Oregon
  • Interests:Sacrificing myself for everyone else's greater good!

Posted 05 January 2019 - 03:54 PM

View PostMentalist, on 05 January 2019 - 03:23 PM, said:

I'll start Hobb's "Ship of Magic" at home

I'm excited to see your thoughts on this one. That trilogy was my favorite read of last year.
0

#25711 User is offline   Briar King 

  • Master of the Deck
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Posts: 17,453
  • Joined: 27-March 08
  • Location:Lake Charles, Louisiana

Posted 05 January 2019 - 09:52 PM

Hey Onrack can you depress me any further?
0

#25712 User is offline   Briar King 

  • Master of the Deck
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Posts: 17,453
  • Joined: 27-March 08
  • Location:Lake Charles, Louisiana

Posted 05 January 2019 - 09:53 PM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 05 January 2019 - 02:37 PM, said:

View PostTiste Simeon, on 03 January 2019 - 01:07 PM, said:

Today I started the Earbook version of The Fifth Season. The narrator is strange but oddly I feel her voice fits the way the narrative is structured. The second person perspective is weird but I guess I can get used to it. I have no idea what is happening though. Some dude managed to rip a hole in the sky and kill millions for some reason? Then it hasn't effected the woman whose son is dead and she has some secret that only the Doctor man knows about?

It's intriguing enough for me to continue but the way it's written is going to take a bit of getting used to I think. I've got all three on Audible so I'm definitely in but it's been awkward getting into it this far.

Well what a difference a few more trips to work makes! Wow, FIFTH SEASON is just incredible stuff now. The narrator and the style of writing has *seriously* grown on me and I am really loving the three entwining orogen stories that are so far completely unrelated. Really hooked now.

Though I have to giggle whenever the study of their powers is mentioned the way she says it makes it sound like erogeny which to me sounds like the study of the erogenous zones... Which, when you take into account the horrific breeding ideas that the have in the fulcrum I guess isn't too far off the mark... That was somewhat uncomfortable.

The second person perspective is still weird but I'm ok with it. Not sure the reason behind it but it doesn't throw me out.


You will learn the reason for it.

Those books are a pot of gold.
0

#25713 User is offline   Cyphon 

  • Cagey Bastard of TQB
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Posts: 523
  • Joined: 15-July 10

Posted 05 January 2019 - 10:55 PM

View PostJPK, on 05 January 2019 - 03:54 PM, said:

View PostMentalist, on 05 January 2019 - 03:23 PM, said:

I'll start Hobb's "Ship of Magic" at home

I'm excited to see your thoughts on this one. That trilogy was my favorite read of last year.


Seconded as an excellent trilogy that I read last year and that I went on a bit of a journey with. Struggled with some of the first book but the trilogy pay off and character development is really good.

Started reading The Sparrow as my fiction book and one of my Christmas presents.

Non fiction read at the moment is the dyslexia advantage. I recently got a diagnosis as dyslexia so this my getting my head around it and framing it positively book.

The other non-fiction book I finished recently was the biography of Einstein by Walter Isaacson which was excellent. A good read and appreciation of Einstein's strengths and weaknesses and explains his theories and physics in a way that the layman, i.e. me, understood as I read it. Whether i understand it now and could explain it is another question...

This post has been edited by Cyphon: 05 January 2019 - 11:04 PM

Para todos todo, para nosotros nada.

MottI'd always pegged you as more of an Ublala
0

#25714 User is offline   Briar King 

  • Master of the Deck
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Posts: 17,453
  • Joined: 27-March 08
  • Location:Lake Charles, Louisiana

Posted 06 January 2019 - 05:41 PM

I’m not very big on poetry but I just stop and listen anytime I hear something by Walt Whitman playing on tv.
0

#25715 User is offline   Briar King 

  • Master of the Deck
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Posts: 17,453
  • Joined: 27-March 08
  • Location:Lake Charles, Louisiana

Posted 08 January 2019 - 12:40 AM

Ando, Safehold 10 hits tomorrow! I’m excited.
0

#25716 User is online   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

  • Emperor
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Posts: 786
  • Joined: 28-March 13
  • Location:Deepest Darkest Yorkshire

Posted 08 January 2019 - 06:52 AM

View PostJPK, on 05 January 2019 - 03:54 PM, said:

View PostMentalist, on 05 January 2019 - 03:23 PM, said:

I'll start Hobb's "Ship of Magic" at home

I'm excited to see your thoughts on this one. That trilogy was my favorite read of last year.


Me too - it's my favourite trilogy of Hobb's.

Currently reading the new Bernard Cornwell, War of the Wolf.
- Wyrd bið ful aræd -
0

#25717 User is offline   QuickTidal 

  • Cap
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Posts: 16,260
  • Joined: 05-November 05
  • Location:Brooklyn
  • Interests:Being Awesome

Posted 08 January 2019 - 01:53 PM

Remember upthread when I recommended Keith Ward's Red Proxy series?

SKKKKRRRRRRCCCCCHHHHH (apply the brakes).

The first book (a novella) was interesting, decently written, and had enough oomph to impress me.

Well book 2 (which is a full novel) 99 DAYS....not so much. Ward's amateurish writing is MUCH more prevalently on display in a full novel with a single POV (book 1 was many POVS)...there are some impassible physics weirdness in this one (nothing floats, not even humans)...but overall it was largely a snoozefest that only really has anything interesting occur near the end. It's a quest book of sorts, but features all kinds of tropish stuff that is in every fantasy book, and none of the verve to make it work.

I just...ugh. Don't take my earlier advice. This was not good.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 08 January 2019 - 01:54 PM

“Judge them for what they wished to be,” he begged the Father of Gods, “not what the world made of them.”
― Nicholas Eames, Kings of the Wyld
0

#25718 User is offline   Mentalist 

  • Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Posts: 7,394
  • Joined: 06-June 07
  • Location:'sauga/GTA, City of the Lion
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 08 January 2019 - 04:02 PM

View PostJPK, on 05 January 2019 - 03:54 PM, said:

View PostMentalist, on 05 January 2019 - 03:23 PM, said:

I'll start Hobb's "Ship of Magic" at home

I'm excited to see your thoughts on this one. That trilogy was my favorite read of last year.



View PostCyphon, on 05 January 2019 - 10:55 PM, said:

View PostJPK, on 05 January 2019 - 03:54 PM, said:

View PostMentalist, on 05 January 2019 - 03:23 PM, said:

I'll start Hobb's "Ship of Magic" at home

I'm excited to see your thoughts on this one. That trilogy was my favorite read of last year.


Seconded as an excellent trilogy that I read last year and that I went on a bit of a journey with. Struggled with some of the first book but the trilogy pay off and character development is really good.





View PostTheRetiredBridgeburner, on 08 January 2019 - 06:52 AM, said:

View PostJPK, on 05 January 2019 - 03:54 PM, said:

View PostMentalist, on 05 January 2019 - 03:23 PM, said:

I'll start Hobb's "Ship of Magic" at home

I'm excited to see your thoughts on this one. That trilogy was my favorite read of last year.


Me too - it's my favourite trilogy of Hobb's.

Currently reading the new Bernard Cornwell, War of the Wolf.


So far, liking the setting, but the Bingtown part of the plot seems to hinge on people not speaking up when they should, leading to "tragic misunderstandings" among the impoverished aristos. I'll be honest, this type of plots no longer really impresses me no matter how good the writing is.

The guy trying to become the Pirate King is interesting to read about, though.
The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.
0

#25719 User is offline   Hammerhead88 

  • Sergeant
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Posts: 63
  • Joined: 08-February 16

Posted 08 January 2019 - 04:38 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 08 January 2019 - 01:53 PM, said:

Remember upthread when I recommended Keith Ward's Red Proxy series?

SKKKKRRRRRRCCCCCHHHHH (apply the brakes).

The first book (a novella) was interesting, decently written, and had enough oomph to impress me.

Well book 2 (which is a full novel) 99 DAYS....not so much. Ward's amateurish writing is MUCH more prevalently on display in a full novel with a single POV (book 1 was many POVS)...there are some impassible physics weirdness in this one (nothing floats, not even humans)...but overall it was largely a snoozefest that only really has anything interesting occur near the end. It's a quest book of sorts, but features all kinds of tropish stuff that is in every fantasy book, and none of the verve to make it work.

I just...ugh. Don't take my earlier advice. This was not good.


Ha! I bought the first one yesterday on Kindle. Still worth reading as a standalone?
0

#25720 User is offline   QuickTidal 

  • Cap
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Posts: 16,260
  • Joined: 05-November 05
  • Location:Brooklyn
  • Interests:Being Awesome

Posted 08 January 2019 - 04:44 PM

View PostHammerhead88, on 08 January 2019 - 04:38 PM, said:

View PostQuickTidal, on 08 January 2019 - 01:53 PM, said:

Remember upthread when I recommended Keith Ward's Red Proxy series?

SKKKKRRRRRRCCCCCHHHHH (apply the brakes).

The first book (a novella) was interesting, decently written, and had enough oomph to impress me.

Well book 2 (which is a full novel) 99 DAYS....not so much. Ward's amateurish writing is MUCH more prevalently on display in a full novel with a single POV (book 1 was many POVS)...there are some impassible physics weirdness in this one (nothing floats, not even humans)...but overall it was largely a snoozefest that only really has anything interesting occur near the end. It's a quest book of sorts, but features all kinds of tropish stuff that is in every fantasy book, and none of the verve to make it work.

I just...ugh. Don't take my earlier advice. This was not good.


Ha! I bought the first one yesterday on Kindle. Still worth reading as a standalone?


Yeah, that first one was fine. Just act like it's the only one. LOL
“Judge them for what they wished to be,” he begged the Father of Gods, “not what the world made of them.”
― Nicholas Eames, Kings of the Wyld
0

Share this topic:


  • 1322 Pages +
  • « First
  • 1284
  • 1285
  • 1286
  • 1287
  • 1288
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users