Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Fiona McIntosh - Quickening Trilogy

#1 User is offline   Fid 

• Old Git of High House Muttley
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 23 December 2005 - 08:33 AM

Just finished Bridge of Souls, the final part of this trilogy and found it thoroughly absorbing. The fact that trilogywas published in the UK over a 12-18 month period by Orbit was a help of course....

Speed of plot development sustained, characterisation excellent and a good story. After just finishing Knife of Dreams to get away from descriptions of heaving bosoms and spankings was a blessed relief!

The nature of Myrren's Gift (which I will not disclose) which comes out in the first book (called Myrren's Gift) is perhaps the most unique plot device and provides an anchor for the rest of the series. The majot protagonists all are written to give substance and depth.

The other advantage was that as these were publiushed in PB I could manage them while travelling. Now home for Christmas and contemplating the kilo brick which is Feast for Crows!

#2 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 23 December 2005 - 01:33 PM

Never heard of her, though the series sounds interesting. I may give it a look.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#3 Guest_Jay Tomio_*

• Group: Unregistered / Not Logged In

Posted 30 December 2005 - 10:05 PM

I haven't read the whole series and can only comment On the first book of Quickening Myyren's Gift. This is a series that a cohort of mine at FBS - albeit who has extremely different taste than I do -really loved but I found to be ultimately lacking any real relevant substance, meat, weight, whatever you want to call it. It really lacked in any meaningful semblance of characterization.

It was like going throught the motions that 100's of others authors have already been through.

Australia has some phenominal talent that are just beginning to get their just due in the last few years (K.J. Bishop, Margo Lanagan, Kim Westwood) but this work just felt flat to me.

#4 User is offline   Anomander Rake 

• First Sword

Posted 30 December 2005 - 10:47 PM

Gotta say I really enjoyed this series. I also recently completed reading the series.

Plotline, Ideas etc were very well done. But Characterization I think could have been improved, as well as the dialogue between characters, and the ability to convey emotions more thoroughly to the reader. To make the reader feel more for the characters and what they go through.

The plotlione and the main idea of myrrens gift is what kept me reading the series, as well as to enjoy it. But I must admit, I did not feel much for the characters, which again very few authors seem to have the ability to get readers to really get engaged and feel for those characters.

#5 User is offline   pat5150 

• D'ivers

Posted 01 January 2006 - 09:06 PM

Over the last few months, HarperCollins sent me the first two volumes of this series. I was waiting for the last one to be released before starting the trilogy. Anyone know when it's supposed to come out in North America?

Patrick
www.fantasyhotlist.blogspot.com

#6 Guest_Jay Tomio_*

• Group: Unregistered / Not Logged In

Posted 01 January 2006 - 09:21 PM

They have been out, we received these months ago from the U.S.. Whether or not it was a limited amount I'm not sure.

Edited (I meant book II) - I got Book III via UK

Book III is August 2006 in U.S.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users