Malazan Empire: Steph Swainston - The Year of our War - Malazan Empire

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Steph Swainston - The Year of our War

#1 Guest_bluesman_*

• Group: Unregistered / Not Logged In

Posted 19 December 2005 - 06:18 PM

Compared with Mieville for the language and settings.

There seems to be conflicting opinions about this fairly new British author. What makes me interested is of course the comparisons with Mieville and the cool concept with insects and drug addicts.

Anyone who read this care to comment?

bm

#2 Guest_Duiker_*

Posted 19 December 2005 - 10:21 PM

I think Swainston's prose and characterization (of the protagonist and some other Immortals) were nice enough, but she lacked in both the plot and worldbuilding department. For me, insects as the bad guys were not the really that good a concept: basically it is a variation on the inhuman evil horde. Also, the combination of a feudal and industrial society may for some seem a an interesting new concept, but anyone who has only slight knowledge of how these systems worked will find it a ridiculous premisis.

All in all, nice enough reading but certainly not the Next Big Thing.

#3 User is offline   Valgard 

• Bored Microbiologist (not a good combination)
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 20 December 2005 - 12:07 AM

I must admit I really enjoyed her work a great new author not the greatest work of literature but still a really good read. They were well written and enjoyable definately worth reading.

#4 Guest_bluesman_*

Posted 20 December 2005 - 12:27 AM

This series (they are two I think) will be perfect once I'm done with Barclay and Cooke.

It's great with female authors who can do the more gritty style I(and many more here it seems) loves. Too many are stuck in the more glittery style of fantasy.
From what 've understood she's not afraid to kill off popular characters or otherwise gloss over nasty events.

Just as it should be :) (i hope)

bm

#5 Guest_Jay Tomio_*

Posted 21 December 2005 - 08:43 PM

Very little in terms of baroque, higlydescritive sweeping prose. I replied to this very same question earlier today at another board:

It's a book that received a tad bit too much notieriety in my view stemming from a tendency at the time for people to jump on anything being pubbed in the new weird tradition. I think it's definitely worth reading, however it has some unavoidable flaws. The dialogue is a bit laymen, and you won't find the baroque yet sweeping descriptive power of Mievlile, and the ending of what some would call ' the main conflict' is a bit contrived, but through all that, I rated it decently well because I think the character profile done by Swainston with her protgonist (Jant) is absolutely exceptional; Flashbacking to dickensian setting of his youth were the finest parts of the novel, and Swianston's method of employing a secondary reality accessed via overdose presents some nice potential opportunities.

At this point, due to uneveness of the work, I'm not ready to say Steph is at that elite level of writers (in my mind) but she presented enough to recommend, and look to in the future for that improvement. What she does well, she does really well, but she can use some work. It's kind of like the 'New Weird' without what illiterates would call 'the pretentiousness', which can be defined as a refined command of narratives and prose. This quality I think makes it a bit lacking to fans of Mievile and Vandermeer etc, but still solid; but works as a positive, as it's ultimately more accssible but uses the same elements, thus being enticing to fans of more traditional work.

I enjoyed it a lot, and its only out of being literaly bombarded with books to read that I haven't read No Present Like Time yet. Looking forward to it, and according to Steph (as of a month ago) a third book most likely in 2007, but possibly late 2006.

#6 User is offline   Brys 

• Fist

Posted 21 December 2005 - 09:54 PM

bluesman said:

There seems to be conflicting opinions about this fairly new British author. What makes me interested is of course the comparisons with Mieville and the cool concept with insects and drug addicts.

Anyone who read this care to comment?

bm

I think comparisons with Mieville give completely the wrong impression for the book. Yes, there is decent prose and imagination. Drugs do play an important role, and there are some interesting races.
But it's also a very different style to Mieville - it is basically one of the first truly imaginative epic fantasies (except perhaps Erikson). And it's told from first person. I've heard her described both as one of the best contemporary fantasy authors leading New Weird along with Mieville and a hack of the New Weird genre, creating a new cliche. But I think both inaccurate - Swainston is a very good author, but she writes in her own style, and has one feature often pushed to the background in the main New Weird authors - characterisation. The main character, Jant Shira, has been excellently crafted. The others, not quite as well, but still very good.
Ainulindale's said pretty much everything else.

but anyone who has only slight knowledge of how these systems worked will find it a ridiculous premisis.

Really? mid-19th century Germany (pre-1871) was very much like this. There was the rapidly industrialising Prussia, with an abundance of natural resources, with an autocratic, feudal, agrarian Austria. Swainston exaggerates this idea for effect, but the basic idea isn't that far from the truth. During the 19th century while industrialisation was occuring, a number of states remained very reactionary, though of course there was pressure for change, it took time for change to actually occur.

#7 Guest_bluesman_*

Posted 22 December 2005 - 12:24 AM

The comments seem pretty good then. I don't require masterpieces for each book I read so I can take some flaws. I think Mievilles books have their fair share too :D. Not that it stopped me from reading them of course.

Even slight originallity is better than nothing in my book.

bm

#8 Guest_Duiker_*

Posted 22 December 2005 - 12:27 AM

Brys said:

Really? mid-19th century Germany (pre-1871) was very much like this. There was the rapidly industrialising Prussia, with an abundance of natural resources, with an autocratic, feudal, agrarian Austria. Swainston exaggerates this idea for effect, but the basic idea isn't that far from the truth. During the 19th century while industrialisation was occuring, a number of states remained very reactionary, though of course there was pressure for change, it took time for change to actually occur.

There's a difference between autocratic/non-democratic and feudal. Prussia and the Habsburg Empire weren't exactly feudal anymore, bascally because they had been occupied by/were clients of the French at the beginning of the century.

#9 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 22 December 2005 - 01:21 AM

It's not really much like Mieville at all- but it is good. It seems lighter in tone - definitely there's more humour. Also, it's not as well concieved as Mievilles world. And it's much shorter.
But it has some interesting concepts, and it's worth reading.

It's more comparable, if you're going to use the New Weird label, to a NW equivalent of early Eddings/Gemmel - what you'd recommend to beginner readers, though it'll always be enjoyable- than Mieville.
IMO.
I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

#10 User is offline   Brys 

• Fist

Posted 22 December 2005 - 11:33 AM

Duiker said:

There's a difference between autocratic/non-democratic and feudal. Prussia and the Habsburg Empire weren't exactly feudal anymore, bascally because they had been occupied by/were clients of the French at the beginning of the century.

Perhaps you can argue they weren't entirely feudal, but they were hardly progressive either, and serfdom still existed in Russia. But it's possible for industrialisation to happen in one country with feudalism in another. It's not quite as clear within a single nation, but it's still possible.

a NW equivalent of early Eddings/Gemmel

Interesting comparison - but it's of a far higher quality, greater imagination and better prose than those two, but perhaps that's because New Weird hasn't found poor authors yet, or we just haven't heard of them.

#11 User is offline   fortyseven 

• Fist

Posted 22 December 2005 - 09:19 PM

the Soviet Union was industrialized but still feudal in a way.

#12 User is offline   Brys 

• Fist

Posted 23 December 2005 - 12:29 PM

And the reason why the Russian revolution of 1917 wasn't a Marxist revolution was because Russia pre-1917 was still basically a feudal society - it hadn't industrialised nearly enough.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users