Malazan Empire: Simeon's THE SUN SWORD Thread. Here be spoilers! - Malazan Empire

• 4 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Simeon's THE SUN SWORD Thread. Here be spoilers! Please shut up about Jewel!

#1 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 23 May 2023 - 07:14 PM

I started it today. Only about half an hour in and initially I was like "oh no a kid" but actually he's pretty cool. I like the older dude too, whoever he is.

I'm glad to be back in this world and encouraged by reading that it's mostly in the Empire in this book. :)

This post has been edited by Tiste Simeon: 31 December 2023 - 05:50 AM

A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#2 User is offline   pat5150 

• Soletaken

Posted 23 May 2023 - 08:04 PM

As I mentioned in the other thread, the relationship between Aidan and Ser Anton was one of my favorite things of The Uncrowned King.

And as fun and interesting as it was spending a full book in the Empire for the King's Challenge, I did miss the Dominion. Or Diora and Teresa, to be more specific.

But as good as this one is, as QT mentioned way back when I was reading it, The Shining Court is next level. And Sea of Sorrows, the fourth volume is even better!
For book reviews, author interviews, giveaways, related articles and news, and much more, check out www.fantasyhotlist.blogspot.com

#3 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 24 May 2023 - 06:16 PM

Ok so I really liked the Aidan intro - took me by surprise again when I'd already been listening for like an hour before they got to Chapter 1! Seeing Valendan was great I didn't realise he was such a good fighter...

It seems there's been a murder and there is political intrigue and unrest within the ranks of the Terafin because... Reasons? Anyway there's lots of Jewel already which is great.

And then we're back with the Ospreys huzzah! Already enjoying this book well.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#4 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 25 May 2023 - 07:48 AM

Hey who's Avendar again? I know he's some kind of attendant of Jewel and has some kind of magic and everyone seems a bit twitchy about him. Is that all we've been told so far?
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#5 User is offline   pat5150 

• Soletaken

Posted 25 May 2023 - 01:46 PM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 25 May 2023 - 07:48 AM, said:

Hey who's Avendar again? I know he's some kind of attendant of Jewel and has some kind of magic and everyone seems a bit twitchy about him. Is that all we've been told so far?

Yes, that's all you know about Avandar thus far. But there is much, much more to him than that. Revelations are unveiled more in volumes 3 and 4.
For book reviews, author interviews, giveaways, related articles and news, and much more, check out www.fantasyhotlist.blogspot.com

#6 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 25 May 2023 - 01:49 PM

View Postpat5150, on 25 May 2023 - 01:46 PM, said:

Yes, that's all you know about Avandar thus far. But there is much, much more to him than that. Revelations are unveiled more in volumes 3 and 4.

I figured it might be that but the way everyone is reacting to him I couldn't remember if there was more to him that was slipping my mind temporarily. I like him, and I'm enjoying the politics in house Terafin. The scene with Jewel, Avandar and Ryman (?) was great.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#7 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 25 May 2023 - 01:59 PM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 25 May 2023 - 01:49 PM, said:

I figured it might be that but the way everyone is reacting to him I couldn't remember if there was more to him that was slipping my mind temporarily. I like him, and I'm enjoying the politics in house Terafin. The scene with Jewel, Avandar and Ryman (?) was great.

Agreed, and now i'm wondering what we're missing from HOUSE WAR, notwithstanding this was published first.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#8 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 25 May 2023 - 02:29 PM

Another bonus to the House War books, you not only get Avandar, you get his precursor (the loaner Jewel gets before him) and more of what exactly a domicis is....

But yeah, you do get way more backstory on Avandar in Sun Sword even just in the 3 I've read.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#9 User is offline   pat5150 

• Soletaken

Posted 25 May 2023 - 02:55 PM

There can't be that much about Avandar in the first 3 House War books. Indeed, Jewel's discovery of his true identity is what will shape their relationship going forward. To say that Avandar's badass is like saying that Harvard is a good school. It doesn't even begin to describe him and Jewel will have a hard time coming to terms with what his being her domicis means. So I doubt that reading the House War books first would help in that regard.

As far as what domicis are, personally I would have liked to know more about them. What little we learn, we do from the perspective of Morretz, The Terafin's own domicis. I figure that West likely wanted to include more details about them, but her editor shot down this idea because those were extraneous details. Good to know that we learn more about them in the other series.

This post has been edited by pat5150: 25 May 2023 - 02:56 PM

#10 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 25 May 2023 - 03:16 PM

View Postpat5150, on 25 May 2023 - 02:55 PM, said:

There can't be that much about Avandar in the first 3 House War books. You get his predecessor in the second book, and Avandar's introduction is in the 3rd one and he features heavily throughout. It's very much about him and Jewel finding their balance.

So I doubt that reading the House War books first would help in that regard.

You only say that because you haven't read them yet. ;) It's all a rich tapestry.

As far as what domicis are, personally I would have liked to know more about them. What little we learn, we do from the perspective of Morretz, The Terafin's own domicis.

You learn more about them, and yeah it's through Morretz.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#11 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 25 May 2023 - 06:06 PM

*sigh*.... anyone have a cast list for UNCROWNED KING, would be much appreciated.

#12 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 25 May 2023 - 06:26 PM

View PostAbyss, on 25 May 2023 - 06:06 PM, said:

*sigh*.... anyone have a cast list for UNCROWNED KING, would be much appreciated.

I'm fairly sure the one I posted in the other thread is from UNCROWNED I think?

If you can't find it, go to this link and click the "look inside" thing and you can see it there:

https://www.amazon.c...ormat=1&depth=1

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 25 May 2023 - 06:30 PM

#13 User is offline   pat5150 

• Soletaken

Posted 26 May 2023 - 02:00 AM

View PostAbyss, on 25 May 2023 - 06:06 PM, said:

Original thread, page 3, April 26th post by QT. The Dramatis Personae is behind spoiler tags. :)

#14 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 30 May 2023 - 12:58 PM

Ok that was quite the revelation in Chapter 5:

Spoiler

A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#15 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 30 May 2023 - 01:40 PM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 30 May 2023 - 12:58 PM, said:

Spoiler

Spoiler

#16 User is offline   pat5150 

• Soletaken

Posted 30 May 2023 - 01:47 PM

For my money, Ser Anton is probably the most intereesting character of the entire series. Keep on reading and you'll see why! :)

#17 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 30 May 2023 - 02:03 PM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 30 May 2023 - 12:58 PM, said:

Spoiler

I like the first bit. It's well teased out and makes an already interesting character moreso.

The second... so far they kind of suck at this. Also

Spoiler

#18 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 30 May 2023 - 02:03 PM

View Postpat5150, on 30 May 2023 - 01:47 PM, said:

For my money, Ser Anton is probably the most intereesting character of the entire series. Keep on reading and you'll see why! :)

No argument here, i enjoy what i've read of him.

#19 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 30 May 2023 - 02:07 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 30 May 2023 - 01:40 PM, said:

Spoiler

Re Anton,
Spoiler

#20 User is offline   pat5150 

• Soletaken

Posted 30 May 2023 - 02:38 PM

View PostAbyss, on 30 May 2023 - 02:03 PM, said:

Spoiler

About that:

Spoiler

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users