Malazan Empire: Foray into Activism - Malazan Empire

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Foray into Activism my first Discord based activism and looking to see what y'all R Do

#1 User is offline   Gust Hubb 

• Necromancer Extraordinaire
  • View gallery
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Glass slides with entrapped bits of colored tissue
  • Around, just quiet....er

Posted 15 April 2023 - 07:05 PM

Re-connecting and I found something to join at the ground floor: https://linktr.ee/profzeitgeist - dark wall street. Found it on Tik Tok and worth taking a look into if anyone is interested.

Now that I have moved and am back in my home territory of the Pacific Northwest, I am looking into how to get involved, gradually and with small steps. Being the technologic backwater old person that I am, I just joined Discord and have been following Tik Tok for only a couple of years (maybe less?). If the USA is going to ban Tik Tok, I want to start having connections that will allow me to keep up on the news and maybe start fighting back to some extent.

Anyway, if we already have an activism thread, I can delete this one and move over to that thread to at minimum necro-resurrect it. Just let me know. And figured if anyone joined Dark Wall Street it would be nice to see some people I knew.

Later all.
"You don't clean u other peoples messes.... You roll in them like a dog on leftover smoked whitefish torn out f the trash by raccoons after Sunday brunch on a hot day."
~Abyss

#2 User is offline   Gust Hubb 

• View gallery

Posted 15 April 2023 - 07:10 PM

Also, ConsumerReports is creating a Woke database for the conservatives so they can boycott Woke companies. A brilliant tik tok-er pointed out this also works and reverse and suggested signing up :)
"You don't clean u other peoples messes.... You roll in them like a dog on leftover smoked whitefish torn out f the trash by raccoons after Sunday brunch on a hot day."
~Abyss

#3 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 15 April 2023 - 09:04 PM

I think motivating people to vote for non career politicians, actually understanding that a two party system is inherently broken and listening to what candidates are Not saying should be the push for activism right now.
Let's get non wankers in there to pass policies to shut the other wankers down.

#4 User is offline   Lady Bliss 

• Shameless Minister of Silly Catwalks of the Abyssmal Army
  • Group: The Abyssmal Army

Posted 16 April 2023 - 12:46 AM

This might be a good topic for discussions. Unfortunately because I’ve carried a security clearance and my son now will, I’m limited to this kind of thing. I contribute mainly to PRIDE, and animal rights. Anything else can be problematic…
"If you prick us do we not bleed? If you tickle us do we not laugh? If you poison us do we not die? And if you wrong us shall we not revenge?" - Shylock

#5 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 16 April 2023 - 01:33 AM

View PostMacros, on 15 April 2023 - 09:04 PM, said:

I think motivating people to vote for non career politicians, actually understanding that a two party system is inherently broken and listening to what candidates are Not saying should be the push for activism right now.

That would be great but unfortunately it will never happen. Because money. :(
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#6 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 16 April 2023 - 05:29 AM

Dark Wall Street is...pro RESTRICT Act? That's a bad one.

#7 User is offline   Gust Hubb 

• View gallery

Posted 16 April 2023 - 06:41 AM

View PostWhisperzzzzzzz, on 16 April 2023 - 05:29 AM, said:

Dark Wall Street is...pro RESTRICT Act? That's a bad one.

Where you seeing that? It shouldn't be. This founder of this group, Prof Zeitgeist, has tik toks against the RESTRICT act and even has a calling script to congress people for protesting it.
~Abyss

#8 User is offline   Gust Hubb 

• View gallery

Posted 16 April 2023 - 06:48 AM

View PostLady Bliss, on 16 April 2023 - 12:46 AM, said:

This might be a good topic for discussions. Unfortunately because I've carried a security clearance and my son now will, I'm limited to this kind of thing. I contribute mainly to PRIDE, and animal rights. Anything else can be problematic…

Yeah, I am in a similar boat with a job that I have to be very careful to keep separate from my personal life. I think I can help through my abilities as researching literature and regulations, but I am trying to figure out how I can help without compromising the good I can do by my chosen career.
~Abyss

#9 User is offline   Gust Hubb 

• View gallery

Posted 16 April 2023 - 06:49 AM

View PostTsundoku, on 16 April 2023 - 01:33 AM, said:

Agree. I would love to vote for non-Dem and non-GOP candidates, but I am more scared that I will weaken the lesser of two evils (Dem), giving the candidate with a fanatical following (GOP) the majority by default.
~Abyss

#10 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 16 April 2023 - 11:39 AM

View PostGust Hubb, on 16 April 2023 - 06:49 AM, said:

Agree. I would love to vote for non-Dem and non-GOP candidates, but I am more scared that I will weaken the lesser of two evils (Dem), giving the candidate with a fanatical following (GOP) the majority by default.

And so here we are. It's a crazy system but can anyone come up with a realistic way of changing it?

Also, you need to learn the power of multiquote. ;)
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#11 User is offline   Gust Hubb 

• View gallery

Posted 16 April 2023 - 04:14 PM

View PostTsundoku, on 16 April 2023 - 11:39 AM, said:

And so here we are. It's a crazy system but can anyone come up with a realistic way of changing it?

I am a mafia veteran. I know how to mulitquote! Insulted.
~Abyss

#12 User is offline   Cyphon 

• Cagey Bastard of TQB
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 16 April 2023 - 09:07 PM

View PostGust Hubb, on 16 April 2023 - 04:14 PM, said:

And an deft example of how many activist groups break up.
Para todos todo, para nosotros nada.

MottI'd always pegged you as more of an Ublala

#13 User is offline   Gust Hubb 

• View gallery

Posted 17 April 2023 - 03:16 AM

View PostCyphon, on 16 April 2023 - 09:07 PM, said:

View PostGust Hubb, on 16 April 2023 - 04:14 PM, said:

And an deft example of how many activist groups break up.

Yeah, that will definitely be something to watch. Hoping it now has enough momentum after all the latest events like the Tennessee 3 and the like.
~Abyss

#14 User is offline   Gust Hubb 

• View gallery

Posted 09 July 2023 - 05:24 PM

Just as an update, for anyone who was interested, this thing collapsed pretty quick. It ended up deader than a weekend around here within a month or two.
~Abyss

#15 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 09 July 2023 - 08:30 PM

Bummer. :(

#16 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 10 July 2023 - 02:44 AM

View PostGust Hubb, on 09 July 2023 - 05:24 PM, said:

Just as an update, for anyone who was interested, this thing collapsed pretty quick. It ended up deader than a weekend around here within a month or two.

Activism is extremely hard to do and sustain. One has to take time from ones life to do it, collect a group of people who want to do the same, and get enough people consistently showing up to do the things you want to do. That's incredibly challenging, especially for people who have kids.

However, the single most effective form of activism I've seen is getting one page proposals on a single issue into the hands of elected representative + staff that includes "this is what we want", "will cost X amount", "this is how we pay for it + these are the savings we project elsewhere". The timing of these meetings and communications is critical - start 2-3 months after a budget is passed, keep circling back every couple months in meetings that don't feature a lot of yelling or stuff that makes the representative + staff think you're too much work to deal with, and establish ties by being able to supply facts, research, long form papers, or experts who can speak on the issue.

This is somewhat simple, yet it's 75% of why lobbying firms are so effective. 25% is personal connections that they have, which makes the 75% super charged.

It's also hard to do consistently solo or as a small group unless you focus super hard on one issue.

So I suggest picking one small to medium sized issue and getting started. Don't start off super big.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#17 User is offline   Gust Hubb 

• View gallery

Posted 11 July 2023 - 12:07 AM

Great advice. Thank you.
~Abyss

#18 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 11 July 2023 - 06:20 AM

Activist groups need people to do mundane stuff too. I know someone who is a member of one of the UK climate activist groups and she participates in legal ways, like driving home the protesters when they have been arrested overnight. She's retired so has the time and the means.
Burn rubber =/= warp speed

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users