Malazan Empire: BOOK CLUB: The Fellowship of the Ring by John Ronald Reuel Tolkien - Malazan Empire

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

BOOK CLUB: The Fellowship of the Ring by John Ronald Reuel Tolkien Feb 17th - May 1st 2023

#1 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 17 February 2023 - 08:08 AM

BOOK CLUB: The Fellowship of the Ring by J.R.R.Tolkien

February 17th - May 1st 2023.

Attached File  The_Fellowship_of_the_Ring_cover.gif (29.5K)
Number of downloads: 0Attached File  images Lotr.jpg (13.83K)
Number of downloads: 0Attached File  9780007123827-uk.jpg (37K)
Number of downloads: 0

In a sleepy village in the Shire, a young hobbit is entrusted with an immense task. He must make a perilous journey across Middle-earth to the Cracks of Doom, there to destroy the Ruling Ring of Power - the only thing that prevents the Dark Lord Sauron's evil dominion.Thus begins J. R. R. Tolkien's classic tale of adventure, which continues in The Two Towers and The Return of the King.

RISE! RISE DEAD BOOK CLUB!

From the ashes of another terrible year for people stuck in the meat space we call reality, 2023 arrives with a new book club. The cycle is unbroken.

As the last time we're reading something new and something older. Start of 2023 we're reading Strange Beasts of China by Jeremy Tiang and Yan Ge and The Fellowship of the Ring by an up and coming indie author called John Ronald Reuel T.

To make participation more inclusive and easier to follow along, we're doing quarterly reads and picking two distinctly different books. Meaning for the members with busy lives and slow reading progress, it'll be easier to finish and you can chose whether you want to read both books or stick to one - or quit while you can.

1st rule of Book Club: You are allowed to talk about Book Club.

2nd rule of Book Club: You are allowed to talk about Book Club even if you're not participating in Book Club.

3rd rule of Book Club: Spoilers are to be put in a black box and labelled properly with a chapter number and if you like to be precise, a page number. Overall thoughts and feelings are fine and don't need to be spoilered, use discretion.

4th rule of Book Club: We'll make it up as we go along

-------------------------------------------------

Reading prompts:

What do you think of the authors writing?

What do you think of the books story and plot?

What are the characters like? Who's your favorite? Who's your least favorite?

Are there any books you would compare this book to? Any you would recommend?

Did the book surprise you or disappoint you? Give us examples.

Is there any memorable quotes?

Would you recommend this book to others?

Did you like the book overall?

Shouldn't it be Personship of the Rings?

Attached File  the-fellowship-of-the-ring.png (95.37K)
Number of downloads: 0Attached File  tqy1f1pzbszq0s0s8hwj0tsrzql4.jpg (276.38K)
Number of downloads: 0

Attached File(s)

This post has been edited by Aptorian: 17 February 2023 - 11:06 AM

#2 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 17 February 2023 - 09:24 AM

Further questions: why is Tom Bombadil the greatest fictional character ever?

Should you be able to slap anyone who thinks there would be anything close when answering the question "who would win in a fight between Gandalf and Dumbledore?"
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#3 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 17 February 2023 - 09:59 AM

Maybe my reread will change my mind, but I'm pretty sure a first year student at Hogwartz could beat up Gandalf. Vastly different magic systems.

#4 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 17 February 2023 - 02:20 PM

View PostAptorian, on 17 February 2023 - 09:59 AM, said:

Maybe my reread will change my mind, but I'm pretty sure a first year student at Hogwartz could beat up Gandalf. Vastly different magic systems.

I mean he's a demi-God so I'm fairly sure he could take out the whole of the wizarding community without much effort but you're right and I was being facetious. ;)
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#5 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 17 February 2023 - 02:44 PM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 17 February 2023 - 02:20 PM, said:

View PostAptorian, on 17 February 2023 - 09:59 AM, said:

I mean he's a demi-God so I'm fairly sure he could take out the whole of the wizarding community without much effort but you're right and I was being facetious. ;)

This.

Gandalf is as Maiar (Demi-angel), is tens of thousands of years old, holds a ring of power (Narya; ring of fire which gives him almost unending endurance snd strength in the face of his enemies, preserves his human form from the ravages of age), can shapeshift, has voice power to issue words of command, can use both telepathy and telekinesis, can manipulate smoke, fire, and lightning, can shoot light and project and redirect energy, can understand and speak to all manner of creatures, his sword Glamdring is an unbroken weapon smithed in the fabled elvish city of Gondolin in the previous Age by its finest smith and works like Sting to notify of evil nearby, and lastly, he faced off against one of the last remnants of the previous ages monsters and won.

For all intents and purposes during the Age of LOTR he is THE MOST POWERFUL being on the face of Arda...and would wipe the floor with JK's poor imitation.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#6 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 17 February 2023 - 03:35 PM

You say he's tens of thousands of years old but didn't the Istari appear in like the year 1000 TA?

Which is, all things considered, recent?
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#7 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 17 February 2023 - 03:44 PM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 17 February 2023 - 03:35 PM, said:

You say he's tens of thousands of years old but didn't the Istari appear in like the year 1000 TA?

As a Maiar he was essentially born at the beginning of all time...and has clothed himself in "human raiment" and come to middle earth many times, and did some a lot in the First Age, which is how the elves like Galadriel and Elrond know and remember him and why they call him Mithrandir. He initially came down with a Valar with him called Níenna in that Age. So while the current Gandalf "human raiment" he is in in LOTR is only as old as when he came from Valinor the last time as Istari, the character is tens of thousands of years old and has "died" many times, and can never really "die".
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#8 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 17 February 2023 - 04:12 PM

I'd forgotten how nerdy you people are. This is why I haven't read LOTR in 20 years because people get downright academic about Middle Earth.

But seriously, Hogwarts wizards would transmogrify Gandalf into a newt and then teleport him to where ever their poop goes.

#9 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 17 February 2023 - 04:21 PM

View PostAptorian, on 17 February 2023 - 04:12 PM, said:

I'd forgotten how nerdy you people are. This is why I haven't read LOTR in 20 years because people get downright academic about Middle Earth.

Middle Earth IS academic son!

View PostAptorian, on 17 February 2023 - 04:12 PM, said:

But seriously, Hogwarts wizards would transmogrify Gandalf into a newt and then teleport him to where ever their poop goes.

And Gandalf could just avoid the wand blast...and even IF they were able to hit him with the spell, he would just come back...did you miss the part where he doesn't die and is essentially a godling?

#10 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 17 February 2023 - 04:24 PM

Dude needs a stick to walk. And he looks like he's seventy. I bet I could take him in a fist fight.

#11 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 17 February 2023 - 04:31 PM

Ugh I'm embarrassed, this whole time I've been calling him Randalf! Posted Image
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#12 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 17 February 2023 - 04:55 PM

View Postworry, on 17 February 2023 - 04:31 PM, said:

Ugh I'm embarrassed, this whole time I've been calling him Randalf! Posted Image

Nah Randalf is a different dude, who is trying to prevent his dark one from the Wheel of Cheese.

#13 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 17 February 2023 - 08:30 PM

Has Tom Bombadil become any less irritating with the passage of time?
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#14 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 17 February 2023 - 09:28 PM

View PostAbyss, on 17 February 2023 - 08:30 PM, said:

I actually liked him this last time. YMMV though, but I enjoyed his scenes, though he still doesn't really add that much to the overall narrative, truth be told.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#15 User is offline   JPK 

• Lemming of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Sacrificing myself for everyone else's greater good!

Posted 18 February 2023 - 12:31 AM

View PostAbyss, on 17 February 2023 - 08:30 PM, said:

I'm going to be tackling that chapter tonight. I'm not looking forward to it.

I'd love to take a moment to appreciate the beauty of Bilbo trolling how neighbors with his presents though. Especially his gift of the spoons to Lobelia.

#16 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 18 February 2023 - 07:06 AM

Oh man I live being the cool kid when you nerds start really nerding it up.

Probably not going to start this until holidays in 2 weeks time but so looking forward to it.

And my copie is one of the old hardback editions with illustrations by Alan Lee, which cost me one whole penny when I was 14.
Man inflation sucks!

#17 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 18 February 2023 - 07:36 PM

I've been wanting to reread the trilogy, so this is a nice coincidence! The last time I read it was likely over 15 years ago!

This post has been edited by Whisperzzzzzzz: 18 February 2023 - 07:38 PM

#18 User is offline   JPK 

• Lemming of High House Mafia
  • Interests:Sacrificing myself for everyone else's greater good!

Posted 18 February 2023 - 08:36 PM

Tom Bombadil had been conquered! He's not as bad as I remembered, though I wonder if he was more bearable to me after reading Wolfe and becoming more accustomed to characters having pronounced speech patterns.

I also enjoyed the chapters more this time around because the annoyance of Bombadil is at least partly balanced by the awesomeness of Old Man Willow.

#19 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 25 February 2023 - 01:47 AM

View PostQuickTidal, on 17 February 2023 - 03:44 PM, said:

As a Maiar he was essentially born at the beginning of all time...and has clothed himself in "human raiment" and come to middle earth many times, and did some a lot in the First Age, which is how the elves like Galadriel and Elrond know and remember him and why they call him Mithrandir. He initially came down with a Valar with him called Níenna in that Age. So while the current Gandalf "human raiment" he is in in LOTR is only as old as when he came from Valinor the last time as Istari, the character is tens of thousands of years old and has "died" many times, and can never really "die".

Basically, Gandalf is just the original "I look like a 12-year old girl but I'm actually a million-year-old dragon!" loli

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#20 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 25 February 2023 - 08:00 AM

View PostD, on 25 February 2023 - 01:47 AM, said:

View PostQuickTidal, on 17 February 2023 - 03:44 PM, said:

Basically, Gandalf is just the original "I look like a 12-year old girl but I'm actually a million-year-old dragon!" loli

Well that's certainly a take! 😂
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users