• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Do you cry?

#21 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 30 January 2023 - 03:52 PM

Finished Under the Whispering Door by TJ Klune yesterday. I was crying happy and sad tears on and off through that book and full on ugly crying for most of the last hundred pages. Like my cat was worried about me.

It's not even a sad book, it's full of love and happiness. I think there's just something incredibly touching about the way the characters show love and grieve for the lives they lived or never did.

This post has been edited by Aptorian: 30 January 2023 - 03:52 PM

#22 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 02 February 2023 - 04:30 AM

Hmm, I don't think I cry very much in "real life" situations, but my life isn't very stressful. I definitely cry a bunch from books and shows and even certain songs, though!

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#23 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 02 February 2023 - 09:08 AM

Attached File  father_cry.png (418.4K)
Number of downloads: 0

#24 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 12 February 2023 - 08:15 AM

I tend to get choked up quite a bit these days, often when I'm watching something with the kids. Usually something I've seen before, like the end of Return of the King or something like that, but even stupid sentimental moments in kids movies.

Work makes me proper cry. Not while there - usually after or on the drive home if its been a death-heavy day. I'm on resus a lot, and while many days are quiet, I've sometimes seen a couple of deaths before morning tea break.

It's the details that get me after. Like the personal belongings sitting there, the bag packed as they were about to be discharged before they collapsed; or the clothes they had put on that morning cut off and laying nearby.

One day i had a busy one, and I came home, and watched The Sound of Her Wings (Sandman ep 7?)

Proper broke me. It was very therapeutic though, and it has been since; it's a strange thing to witness the end of someone's life, and putting a gentle face on death has made a difference.

Had a bit of a private cry in the shower after a colleague killed himself at work last year. I'd been strong for everyone all day, but getting home, telling my wife about it, and having a large gin really wrung it out of me.

This post has been edited by Traveller: 12 February 2023 - 08:18 AM

So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#25 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 21 February 2023 - 01:51 PM

Music can make me into a quivering, bawling blob on occasion, especially if nostalgia's involved. Other than that, heroic animals or selfless deeds, stories of ultimate sacrifice, it touches me deeply. Rarely, a piece of art.

Other than that, not so much, no.
It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users