Malazan Empire: Avatar Sequels - Malazan Empire

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

#1 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 09 May 2022 - 03:09 PM

Looks great!

Simon Franglen 100% aping sadly deceased James Horner for the score.

And if there's one guy you don't bet against in Hollywood...it's James Cameron.

The guy's filmography is basically sterling, and the two sequels he made are both not only considered classics, but elevated the genre's and franchises they were in.

It's also nice to know he's hired a writers room for these sequels, so you can depend on a more complex narrative.

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#2 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 09 May 2022 - 03:26 PM

SequelS? I heard there was supposed to be one, but there are actually multiple? Seems a bit overenthusiastic for a film that predominantly floated on its novel 3D gimmick.
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#3 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 09 May 2022 - 03:36 PM

Is that save the planet girl in this? Greeta Toonburg?

This post has been edited by Malankazooie: 09 May 2022 - 03:37 PM

#4 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 09 May 2022 - 03:44 PM

View PostGorefest, on 09 May 2022 - 03:26 PM, said:

SequelS? I heard there was supposed to be one, but there are actually multiple? Seems a bit overenthusiastic for a film that predominantly floated on its novel 3D gimmick.

He shot films 2 and 3 back to back. There will apparently be 5 total.

Here's my issue with the complaints about the first film being just about the 3D.

Is it a simple story? Sure, but in a world where everyone always complains about endless reboots, and franchise sequels to old properties, and whatever else not being original...here's a guy who made a whole new world based around "planetary romance" notion with a dash of Fern Gully, and it's filled with unique cultures, creatures, and lore and a wonderful score and decent actors...and for some reason they wish to rip on that too? Like what's good then?

Beyond that, AVATAR did not become the #1 film in the world (even adjusting for inflations it's in the top 5) of all time based on "good 3D"....it's because people enjoyed it, simple as it is.

As I said, I maintain you should not bet against James Cameron. Add in Disney owning 20th Century Fox and their investment in Pandora world in their Parks...betting against Disney AND James Cameron seems foolish.

I trust this guy to make a movie everyone will enjoy yet again.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#5 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 09 May 2022 - 03:53 PM

Oh, don't get me wrong, I did enjoy Avatar. But at its core it was basically just a retelling of Pocahontas with pretty imagery to dazzle in 3D. Sure, there was world-building, but that seemed mainly aimed at demonstrating the potential of 3D with colourful vistas and lots of grand scenery, more than an in depth and fleshed out world for the sci-fi buffs. So it just didn't strike me as a project that would warrant sequels. It was fine a s a stand-alone project, but seems a bit hollow and lacking substance as a theme for multiple (?!) sequels. But sure, James Cameron is awesome, so i'm sure he'll make it work. But that doesn't let me shake the feeling that it is a bit of a franchise cash-grab, with Disney procuring an established product and wanting to cash in on it. Also worrisome in that Cameron hasn'tr directed anything since the original Avatar film 13 years ago.

This post has been edited by Gorefest: 09 May 2022 - 03:56 PM

Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#6 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 09 May 2022 - 04:02 PM

View PostGorefest, on 09 May 2022 - 03:53 PM, said:

It was fine a s a stand-alone project, but seems a bit hollow and lacking substance as a theme for multiple (?!) sequels.

No office, but I don't get this POV.

He created a whole new world to play in with its own rules, and a vast array of cultures/tribes/creatures/history and we've barely tapped into them with the first film (a single tribe in the first near the one site). I feel like the first film was largely table setting to a much wider franchise.

To each their own I guess.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 09 May 2022 - 04:24 PM

#7 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 09 May 2022 - 07:00 PM

Does it need to be AVATAR or is Avatar okay?

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#8 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 09 May 2022 - 07:20 PM

View PostD, on 09 May 2022 - 07:00 PM, said:

Apologies. My buddy in the film industry has always capitalized film titles due to the fact that this capitalization happens in all their paperwork (like legal callouts), so I'm just super used to doing it after years of his emails to me.

#9 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 09 May 2022 - 07:24 PM

All caps reads as being an acronym for something. Poor form.

Depending on how the movie goes, maybe 'Sadatar' will be more appropriate.

#10 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 09 May 2022 - 07:27 PM

Oh and someone pointed out that the teaser mirrors the teaser for the original film in a lot of shots...and this just makes me love James Cameron all the more for taking the time to do this with the first tease.

Someone has already laid up the comparison.

#11 User is offline   D'rek 

Posted 09 May 2022 - 07:31 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 09 May 2022 - 07:20 PM, said:

Apologies. My buddy in the film industry has always capitalized film titles due to the fact that this capitalization happens in all their paperwork (like legal callouts), so I'm just super used to doing it after years of his emails to me.

Ok I fixed it then. Also I took out the subtitle, 'cause if you're calling the thread Avatar Sequels, plural, the thread is for all of them, ya?

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#12 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 09 May 2022 - 09:11 PM

Oh, don't get me wrong, I did enjoy Avatar. But at its core it was basically just a retelling of Pocahontas with pretty imagery to dazzle in 3D. Sure, there was world-building, but that seemed mainly aimed at demonstrating the potential of 3D with colourful vistas and lots of grand scenery, more than an in depth and fleshed out world for the sci-fi buffs. So it just didn't strike me as a project that would warrant sequels. It was fine a s a stand-alone project, but seems a bit hollow and lacking substance as a theme for multiple (?!) sequels. But sure, James Cameron is awesome, so i'm sure he'll make it work. But that doesn't let me shake the feeling that it is a bit of a franchise cash-grab, with Disney procuring an established product and wanting to cash in on it. Also worrisome in that Cameron hasn'tr directed anything since the original Avatar film 13 years ago.

Optimistic take: that partly explains why it's taken so long. Elaborating the world-building, maybe consulting scientists or fantasy authors, having a vast international 'writers' room' developing the world and honing it into 'movie-sized' chunks in a overarching sequence, etc.

Pessimistic take: he finally said okay to the cash grab... and any delay caused by attempts to optimize development has really been about maximizing anticipated theme park / merchandise / marketing / game etc profits.

#13 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 10 May 2022 - 03:33 AM

His original plan had the Navii visiting other planets. Expanding the scope of the planet from the first movie instead came later. I think it's a good move.
I trust Cameron to make an entertaining movie i will cheerfully spend money to see and walk out of satisfied. I don't need THE TEN COMMANDMENTS BUT WITH ALIENS.

...the dredlocks are a bit much tho'.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#14 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 10 May 2022 - 06:35 AM

I predict Avatar to be absorbed into the Alien/Predator universe.

This post has been edited by Gorefest: 10 May 2022 - 06:36 AM

#15 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 10 May 2022 - 08:00 AM

I wish all the supporters joy and I hope I like this one more than the first. I'm not coming in with a positive mindset towards the whole project personally, but nonetheless.
I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

#16 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 10 May 2022 - 09:22 AM

Mods please change thread title to Avatar Squeakquels.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#17 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 10 May 2022 - 12:34 PM

View PostD, on 09 May 2022 - 07:31 PM, said:

View PostQuickTidal, on 09 May 2022 - 07:20 PM, said:

Also I took out the subtitle, 'cause if you're calling the thread Avatar Sequels, plural, the thread is for all of them, ya?

I was going to edit to change the subtitle as the new movies came out since I created it. But this works too. :)

View PostAzath Vitr (D, on 09 May 2022 - 09:11 PM, said:

Optimistic take: that partly explains why it's taken so long. Elaborating the world-building, maybe consulting scientists or fantasy authors, having a vast international 'writers' room' developing the world and honing it into 'movie-sized' chunks in a overarching sequence, etc.

Pessimistic take: he finally said okay to the cash grab... and any delay caused by attempts to optimize development has really been about maximizing anticipated theme park / merchandise / marketing / game etc profits.

He's been planning it the whole time since the last one, and it's HIS production company making it, so "cash grab" is an odd POV. But yeah, he needed the tech to get up to speed over the years to make moCap underwater work.

This is also a guy who has never made a sequel to the super popular TRUE LIES because he could never get a decent enough story idea for that sequel. So I doubt he's cashing in on anything.

Fun fact, the theme park Pandora was made with a deal from Cameron's Lightstorm Entertainment and Disney in 2014, and Disney didn't own the property at the time so Cameron made out like a bandit with Mickey's cash.

#18 User is offline   D'rek 

Posted 10 May 2022 - 01:06 PM

View Postworry, on 10 May 2022 - 09:22 AM, said:

Mods please change thread title to Avatar Squeakquels.

If one of the Navii talks in a gratingly high-pitched chipmunk voice I will absolutely do that.

#19 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 10 May 2022 - 01:21 PM

Disney obtained the formal rights to it in 2019 after already having agreed a deal with Cameron back in 2010-2011ish. And they are full throttle on opening an Avatar-themed expansion in their theme park(s). So Disney is pretty much gung-ho on reviving and milking the franchise, whether there is any decent source material or not. Just read they actually have 4 (!) sequels on the cards: December 2022, 2024, 2026, and 2028. I must confess I'm not really holding out high hopes. I am not saying Cameron is trying to cash in, I'm happy to believe that he is really keen to do more in that universe. But Disney? 10,000%. Also:

"In a chat with Entertainment Weekly, [Cameron] admits that “it sounds kind of nuts, the process. I mean, if Avatar hadn’t made so much damn money, we’d never do this – because it’s kind of crazy”."

#20 User is offline   ContrarianMalazanReader 

• Fist

Posted 12 May 2022 - 07:48 PM

I never cared for the first movie and still don't, but this trailer has my attention due to the marine ecosystems, which seem like something out of the Horizon videogames.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users