Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Bike nerds assemble!

#1 User is offline   Puck 

• Mausetöter
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 16 March 2022 - 10:44 PM

So, all that is happening in the world aside, I'm going to need a bike soon. My work is moving to bumf*ck nowhere, where it's 20 mins walking to the next bus stop and the bus schedule is... creative. Anyway, a 35-minute-walk away there's a bus stop with a good schedule and a connection to where I reside these days, and the area is nice, so the obvious solution in the face of the fact that I don't have a driver's license and couldn't afford a car anyway, is to get a bike. Preferably asap so I can get used to it.

I interviewed my brother since he spent years biking an hour each way to and from work, and would also like some input from the hive mind.

The area I'm looking to be using it in is hilly countryside, and also some leisure time biking, also in the countryside. Hate city centers, will take the bus to go shopping and I walk everywhere else.

I don't fancy looking like a hippy, so the trendy city bike stuff is out of the question (and also expensive, because muh vintage look).

My brother recommended a beginner mountain bike with some specs I was able to find in a decently priced model. People at work said "don't get anything girly". A friend I asked said that's nuts and get a city or trekking bike. I admit, lookswise the only difference between trekking and mountain bike to me is the luggage carrier (which I can mount on the MTB myself anyway) and the more weather appropriate tire profile on the MTB. It's also cheaper. Then again, my brother recommended the MTB because he's used to (pre-war) Ukrainian roads, which were more holes than roads to begin with.

I don't know what to do and can't afford to buy in a shop since that's more expensive. But I need to get to work somehow starting in May and don't fancy walking. Help me decide!

This post has been edited by Puck: 16 March 2022 - 10:48 PM

Puck was not birthed, she was cleaved from a lava flow and shaped by a fierce god's hands. - [worry]
Ninja Puck, Ninja Puck, really doesn't give a fuck..? - [King Lear]

#2 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 16 March 2022 - 11:53 PM

You are best off walking into a good bike shop and telling them exactly this. They will care for you. The perceived expense will come with getting the bike that is the right size and price for you - physical fit to a bike is incredibly important especially if you're going to be using it 2x a day 5x a week.

Your brother is generally right - you want something closer to a mountain bike and with a luggage rack.

And please consider getting a good helmet - that's the moneymaker right there.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#3 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 16 March 2022 - 11:53 PM

I'm not sure if they're available outside of the US, but I just purchased a Trek Verve 3. https://www.trekbike...?colorCode=grey

I tried out a few bikes. My primary requirement was an upright/nearly upright seating position.

I chose the Verve 3 because it has a nearly upright position (see this image of people riding it). As a nice bonus, the handlebar can be adjusted if I ever wanted to (I won't lol!) lean forward into a more "efficient" biking stance.

Also, it's a hybrid bike, so it pulls in the good bits of a mountain bike (wider tires, suspension, comfortable seating) and a road bike (disc brakes, speed), and smashes them together. And hybrids are usually more reasonably priced. Most hybrids should allow you to attach a front basket, rear luggage rack, panniers, etc.

Hybrids are usually the best bet for people looking to ride around casually some times, but cover hilly commutes at other times.

Even if you can't buy a new bike in a shop, it is worthwhile to go in to one with variety and do some test rides to find what type of bike you like. Then you can set alerts for used/secondhand/classifieds for that type of bike.

This post has been edited by Whisperzzzzzzz: 17 March 2022 - 12:01 AM

#4 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 17 March 2022 - 05:22 AM

Yes to bike shop, even if you dont buy. The guidance is helpful.

Yes to hybrid. I'm a fan.

Absolute yes to a quality helmet. Also a decent lock, possibly two, a padlock and a chain.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#5 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 17 March 2022 - 08:29 AM

I have an electric bike and it is the best thing I ever bought.
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#6 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 18 March 2022 - 04:07 AM

Heretic.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#7 User is offline   bubba 

• High Marshall
  • View gallery
  • Interests:5.3%
  • Kill all the golfers...

Posted 18 March 2022 - 07:13 PM

View PostMorgoth, on 17 March 2022 - 08:29 AM, said:

I have an electric bike and it is the best thing I ever bought.

I have been pricing them lately. I'm getting to old for the mountains I live in.

Also get some cheep flashing led's You want to be as visible possible.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users