• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Duh

#1 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 22 November 2005 - 02:58 PM

I started reading Gardens of the Moon again last night. In the prologue, Paran and Whiskeyjack are observing the riot in the Mouse Quarter of Malaz City. A portion of text goes as follows:

Ganoes scowled. "You're not like the other soldiers I've talked to. You sound more like my father."
"But I'm not your father," the man growled.
"The world," Ganoes said, "doesn't need another wine merchant."
The commander's eyes narrowed, gauging. He opened his mouth the make the obvious reply, then shut it again.
Ganoes Paran looked back down at the burning quarter, pleased with himself. Even a boy, Commander, can make a point.

I'm totally confused. What's the obvious reply that Whiskeyjack stopped himself from making? Is he Star Wars fan and was going to say "Paran, I am your father"? Or "I like wine". I don't get it!
Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#2 Guest_BAD_*

• Group: Unregistered / Not Logged In

Posted 22 November 2005 - 03:19 PM

I always thought he was going to say something like:-

"The world has enough soldiers." or "The world doesn't need another soldier."

#3 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 22 November 2005 - 03:43 PM

If that's the case, then what is the point that Paran is making?
Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#4 Guest_BAD_*

Posted 22 November 2005 - 04:00 PM

Mezla PigDog said:

If that's the case, then what is the point that Paran is making?

I just figured that the kid (Paran) thought he had won an argument against this experienced veteran. But in reality Whiskeyjack just couldn't be bothered.

#5 User is offline   Tenaka Khan 

• High Fist
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 22 November 2005 - 10:53 PM

Perhaps WJ was about to say the line BAD mentioned, but stopped himself realising that the world indeed seemed to need another soldier rather than another wine merchant. Not that he liked it.

So maybe that is the point Paran wanted to bring across ('looking at the burning Mouse quarter' indicates that he thinks there is a need for soldiers to settle the problems out there).

Just my 2 cents...

#6 User is offline   Folken 

• Never throw your life away so easily

Posted 22 November 2005 - 10:58 PM

Tenka's explaination makes more sense to me. I'm with Mezla on this, from the first time I read the line to this day I have wondered in Hood's name SE meant by that line. I'll still continue to wonder though...perhaps a question one should ask SE. Dobut he even remember though...lol

Perhaps something like

"and the world needs more soldiers?"
<div align='center'>You must always strive to be the best, but you must never believe that you are - Juan Manuel Fangio</div>

Posted 23 November 2005 - 08:04 AM

I also agree with Tenaka, at least it's what I've always understood from that conversation ;)

#8 Guest_BAD_*

Posted 23 November 2005 - 03:39 PM

Bah, you ain't changing my thinking. Whiskeyjack just got sick of the kid. ;)

#9 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 23 November 2005 - 03:52 PM

BAD said:

Bah, you ain't changing my thinking. Whiskeyjack just got sick of the kid. :)

Hood knows, we all have at some point during the series! ;)
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#10 Guest_BigDaddyNyth_*

Posted 28 November 2005 - 05:47 AM

My view of the conversation was that Whiskyjack didn't reply because he realized he wasn't going to be able to talk any sense into the child Ganoes, a young boy enchanted with the thought of the military and war, and unaware and blind to the realities of the military and war....

#11 User is offline   werewolfv2 

• OurWild.World
  • Interests:Books and photography

Posted 28 November 2005 - 06:04 AM

BigDaddyNyth said:

My view of the conversation was that Whiskyjack didn't reply because he realized he wasn't going to be able to talk any sense into the child Ganoes, a young boy enchanted with the thought of the military and war, and unaware and blind to the realities of the military and war....

I like that :)

#12 User is offline   stone monkey 

• I'm the baddest man alive and I don't plan to die...
  • Group: Grumpy Old Sods

Posted 21 December 2005 - 01:00 PM

It's the obvious inference;

WJ's reply was fairly obviously going to be that the world didn't need any more soldiers either. Given that they were observing the destruction wrought by a cadre of military mages let loose in the Mouse Quarter, that would probably have been one of the things uppermost in his mind. Paran almost certainly wouldn't know the details of what was happening and WJ wouldn't necessarily have the inclination to explain something to him that he could only really appreciate by experience.
If an opinion contrary to your own makes you angry, that is a sign that you are subconsciously aware of having no good reason for thinking as you do. If some one maintains that two and two are five, or that Iceland is on the equator, you feel pity rather than anger, unless you know so little of arithmetic or geography that his opinion shakes your own contrary conviction. … So whenever you find yourself getting angry about a difference of opinion, be on your guard; you will probably find, on examination, that your belief is going beyond what the evidence warrants. Bertrand Russell

#13 Guest_BAD_*

Posted 22 December 2005 - 06:53 AM

See. I win. :D It's written in stone now. >.<

#14 User is offline   Gust Hubb 

• Necromancer Extraordinaire
  • View gallery
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Glass slides with entrapped bits of colored tissue
  • Around, just quiet....er

Posted 17 July 2011 - 04:54 AM

Melza, I looked over that passage you quoted and think there needs to be more context:

View PostMezla PigDog, on 22 November 2005 - 02:58 PM, said:

I started reading Gardens of the Moon again last night. In the prologue, Paran and Whiskeyjack are observing the riot in the Mouse Quarter of Malaz City. A portion of text goes as follows:

Ganoes and the commander returned their attention to the riot in the Mouse. Flames were visible, climbing through the smoke.

"One day I'll be a soldier," Ganoes said.
The man grunted. "Only if you fail at all else, son. Taking up the sword is the last act of desperate men. Mark my words and find yourself a more worthy dream."
Ganoes scowled. "You're not like the other soldiers I've talked to. You sound more like my father."
"But I'm not your father," the man growled.
"The world," Ganoes said, "doesn't need another wine merchant."
The commander's eyes narrowed, gauging. He opened his mouth the make the obvious reply, then shut it again.
Ganoes Paran looked back down at the burning quarter, pleased with himself. Even a boy, Commander, can make a point.

I'm totally confused. What's the obvious reply that Whiskeyjack stopped himself from making? Is he Star Wars fan and was going to say "Paran, I am your father"? Or "I like wine". I don't get it!

I agree with the comment that WJ is about to say something like "More than it needs a soldier son," but I wanted to point out that Paran was also scoffing at the idea of a more worthy dream. Here they are looking at a clusterf**k below and WJ is trying to talk about dreams and higher callings. I almost hear the idea that everything is unworthy, and might as well do whatever, because in the end it all burns anyways.

I also, as a side note, enjoy the irony of the last two paragraphs, which to me says something of how Paran and WJ see people in general:

Mock's Vane swung once more. Hot smoke rolled over the wall, engulfing them. A reek of burning cloth, scorched paint and stone, and now of something sweet. A reek of burning cloth, scorched paint and stone, now of something sweet. "An abattoir's [slaughterhouse, btw] caught fire," Ganoes said. "Pigs"
The commander grimaced. After a long moment he sighed and leaned back down on the merlon. "As you say, boy, as you say."

Pigs. lol. In the end, it all burns.
"You don't clean u other peoples messes.... You roll in them like a dog on leftover smoked whitefish torn out f the trash by raccoons after Sunday brunch on a hot day."
~Abyss

#15 User is offline   MTS 

• Fourth Investiture

Posted 17 July 2011 - 01:22 PM

Five and a half years. Impressive Gust, most impressive.
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem.

Si hoc adfixum in obice legere potes, et liberaliter educatus et nimis propinquus ades.

#16 User is offline   Darujhistan~Glow 

• Recruit

Posted 29 November 2011 - 07:20 PM

The kid was right, the world needs soldiers and not wine merchants. Whiskeyjack agreed ,regretfully.

#17 User is offline   Kanese S's 

• TMI Frigate Bird of Low House PEN
  • Group: Mott Irregulars

Posted 29 November 2011 - 08:26 PM

I always took it as meaning that Whiskeyjack couldn't argue that the world does need another soldier from time to time. Also has nice symmetry with events in later books.

This post has been edited by Abyss: 29 November 2011 - 09:23 PM
Reason for edit: NO SPOILERS FOR LATER BOOKS

Laseen did nothing wrong.

I demand Telorast & Curdle plushies.

#18 User is offline   JLV 

• Stoned Swallow of Low House PEN
  • Group: Tehol's Blissful Chickens

Posted 01 December 2011 - 03:15 AM

Nice 6 year and 6 month thread resurrection. GH the master.

#19 User is offline   TronoSombrío 

• Corporal
  • Group: Tehol's Blissful Chickens

Posted 09 March 2012 - 03:00 AM

Or maybe the question tha WJ thought was "But, what we need are more soldiers?" I think there are other ways of winning a war, not only using a sword or a gun..

#20 User is offline   Khellendros 

• Saboteur of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 10 March 2012 - 06:01 PM

Let's keep this silly resurrection going! :p

Whiskeyjack was going to say 'and the world needs more soldiers?', but then decided he couldn't be bothered to argue with the kid, because the kid, being a stubborn kid, will merely continue to think what he thinks. Paran then mistakenly takes this as a sign that WJ couldn't come up with any answer at all, and so he thinks he's won the argument. Proving that he's just a dumb kid after all.

Basically, what Guest_BAD said some seven years ago :p

This post has been edited by K0rbas: 10 March 2012 - 06:01 PM

"I think I've made a terrible error of judgement."

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users