Malazan Empire: Why didn’t they just kill him at the last chaining? - Malazan Empire

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Why didn’t they just kill him at the last chaining? Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   ColtaineDidNothingWrong 

• Recruit
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 22 June 2021 - 06:22 PM

Why didn’t the gods kill TCG way earlier? Seems leaving him alive had way more drawbacks than benefits (I mean, he threatens the life of Burn and is responsible for most major events in books 3,5 and 7). Was there a reason no one thought to just kill him immediately in one of the past chainings?

#2 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 22 June 2021 - 06:28 PM

The general explanation we get is that most of the various badass gods preferred to chain Kaminsod up and slowly drain him for more power. Killing him would (probably?) get rid of him and any repercussions immediately, but their greed for more power chose the riskier option. I guess it worked for the first few millenia.

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#3 User is offline   ColtaineDidNothingWrong 

• Recruit
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 22 June 2021 - 07:05 PM

Gotcha, did that even include gods like Rake?

#4 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 22 June 2021 - 07:09 PM

Possibly, but perhaps not. Even if Rake was there (or could have been there), he had a pretty "Andii stay neutral/defensive pact only" before Memories of Ice... and he's hardly in a position to denounce anybody else for chaining up and using others for their own ends, given Dragnipur and all. So even if he was there, he probably didn't say anything much against it.

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#5 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 23 June 2021 - 03:50 AM

1. Pity - he was a victim of the ritual that yanked him down and didn't deserve to die for it;
2. Power - Many gods were drawing it from him;
3. Repercussions - he was bound to Burn, likely a bad idea in retrospect, no knowing how that might go wrong for the world or warrens;
4. Difficulty - it can be VERY hard to kill a god and he is harder than most to kill, and would require a lot of power and effort, leaving the killer weakened, which leads to...
5. Retaliation - if anyone decided to kill him, they would likely be opposed by whoever wanted to keep draining him; if weakened in the process, they might be attacked in revenge or simply because the opportunity was there;
6. Finality - dead is dead (sort of). Can't do much with him - good or bad - at that point.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users