• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

NFL Discussion

#81 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 30 July 2021 - 04:15 AM

View Postparan falcon, on 28 July 2021 - 01:53 PM, said:

I just so happened to catch the 30 for 30 on the '85 Bears last night. I had seen it before and knew it was good, even though I HATED that team at the time. I had never paid enough attention to SB rings to even know that each players name was on their ring, but the show proved that was the case going back at least that far. I don't recall who was MVP of that SB but it could be that the MVP was also put on back then too.

Ok, I got the wrong impression then. I thought every ring that went to each player (and coach and staff) on the Bucs had - "Super Bowl MVP #12 Tom Brady" - engraved on it. So each ring will have each recipient's personal name on it then. Makes sense.

I've seen the Steelers' rings they've accumulated, but I guess I haven't seen a view so close up that I would see players names, so I was unaware that was something engraved on SB rings.

#82 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 01 August 2021 - 07:59 PM

So football fans, camps for 2021 season in full operation now. What news for your teams? I guess Carson Wentz is an issue.

#83 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 05 August 2021 - 06:06 PM

huh, preseason game tonight / HOF game (Steelers vs Cowboys), dang. it sneaks up fast doesn't it?

#84 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 08 August 2021 - 05:43 PM

Missed the HOF induction speeches (1st day). I wanted to see Troy Polamalu's induction. Will have to find highlights.

I didn't know they broke this out into two days, so Peyton Manning is going to be today. I want to see his induction. Manning is witty and sharp as a tack, so should be entertaining.

#85 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 16 August 2021 - 05:40 PM

Yikes, Tebow is on the business end of a sports talk hot take beat down based on his play over the weekend. I'm not one to pile on because it's only a preseason game, but the video doesn't look good. It's easy to find if you're interested. If it was any other team, I'm pretty sure Tebow would be cut, but since he is Urban Meyer's nostalgic connection to college heyday, I wouldn't be surprised if he still makes the team. Meyer probably justifies Tebow's spot ont he team because "Timmy Ra-Ra" brings that intangible leadership to the locker room ... or some such high school/college mind set/pep talk sappiness.

#86 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 17 August 2021 - 03:39 PM

huh, well I was wrong. That was decided quickly - Jags cut Tebow. That media shit storm probably helped make the decision easier.

#87 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 26 August 2021 - 03:02 AM

Well it looks like Drew Lock's time with the Broncos may be in the withering phase. Teddy Bridgewater has been given the starting job. The knock on Lock is he is Jay Cutler 2.0 - has a lot of arm talent, but isn't engaged, isn't a leader, aloof much of the time, doesn't inspire teammates as required of a QB, and is way too cocky when he has the smallest success during a game (one of those guys whos team is trailing and celebrates when he converts a 3rd and long). *sigh Alas, Broncos still in search for their next QB.

#88 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 31 August 2021 - 02:40 PM

Ooof, Patriots cut Cam Newton. I wish I could find that as surprising, but I don't.

#89 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 08 September 2021 - 06:30 PM

Yo! Cigar shaped, pig carcass keep away, turf dominance fans! What up biznatches! It's 2021 NFL Football Eve!

So, @paran falcon, are your Tampa Brady and the Swashbuckling Bradettes gonna snatch the booty again? I think they are the favorites by a pretty good margin, yeah?

#90 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 10 September 2021 - 06:47 AM

Dang @paran falcon, I didn't see the game but highlights revealed it to be quite the nail biter. Can't your guys start slow and be humbled with an L to at least give the rest of the league some hope? I gotta say though, Dak Prescott looked good for coming back from last season's serious injury, and then the nagging injuries during pre-season that left a lot of questions.

This was one of the quotes I read of the game summary:

The Cowboys are the first team since the 1996 St. Louis Rams to put up more than 450 yards of offense and have four takeaways on the road -- yet still lose the game. This odd statistic has only been accomplished nine times since 1940, but only once over the past 25 years. Three of those occurrences happened in overtime, showcasing how difficult it was for Tom Brady and the Buccaneers to overcome the mistakes and the defensive struggles in the 31-29 victory over the Cowboys.

Oh my.

#91 User is offline   paran falcon 

• Emperor

Posted 11 September 2021 - 01:43 PM

View PostMalankazooie, on 10 September 2021 - 06:47 AM, said:

Dang @paran falcon, I didn't see the game but highlights revealed it to be quite the nail biter. Can't your guys start slow and be humbled with an L to at least give the rest of the league some hope? I gotta say though, Dak Prescott looked good for coming back from last season's serious injury, and then the nagging injuries during pre-season that left a lot of questions.

This was one of the quotes I read of the game summary:

The Cowboys are the first team since the 1996 St. Louis Rams to put up more than 450 yards of offense and have four takeaways on the road -- yet still lose the game. This odd statistic has only been accomplished nine times since 1940, but only once over the past 25 years. Three of those occurrences happened in overtime, showcasing how difficult it was for Tom Brady and the Buccaneers to overcome the mistakes and the defensive struggles in the 31-29 victory over the Cowboys.

Oh my.

I actually completely forgot about the game and had to check the score and watch highlights in the morning. From what I can tell, the Bucs were lucky to get the win. 4 turnovers and over 100 yards in penalties are not what got them winning late last season. Dak Prescott looked fantastic, which was nice to see. But it also showed the Bucs secondary isn't there yet either. I was already nervous that too many people were calling for a blowout, then I heard someone opine about could they go undefeated! This game, though a win, should put an end to that. They have work to do. If they get it together, they'll be very dangerous.

I have to say, Brady was pretty fantastic as well. His accuracy is amazing, no matter what his age. Apparently that knee surgery really did make a difference as he looked more limber (and without the knee brace) in the pocket than I've ever seen him. I would never have believed I would be able to just enjoy and appreciate watching him play but, well, here I am.

Antonio Brown is moving like he's 25 again and that should terrify opponents. And Gronkowski! That guy is still a wrecking ball. I don't know if the Bucs other 2 tight ends even saw the field!

#92 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 12 September 2021 - 11:34 PM

Yeah, Gronk and AB getting work in. Brady already has a preternatural psychic connection with Gronk that is deadly, if AB keeps it together and he and Brady develop the same QB/WR chemistry, hooboy, it's not going to be good for opposing team's secondaries. Brady doesn't suffer fools though, and AB is one combination plate short of a taco away from "off the deep end" territory. He seems to have made some adjustments in his personal life though because it has been pretty quiet regarding his private struggles.

Missed the Steelers @ Bills game today, but Steelers took the dub. So that's a promising start., to go into Buffalo and fly home with a win. Buffalo being a team who is pretty resoundingly thought of as a Super Bowl contender.

#93 User is offline   paran falcon 

• Emperor

Posted 13 September 2021 - 12:19 AM

Agree completely about Antonio Brown. I wondered all last year if he would self destruct but he was a model citizen. It seems Brady does have a big influence over him, though he may be getting help on his own as well.

I saw a lot of the Buffalo/Pittsburgh game as it was the better game of my 2 options (Eagles at Falcons the other). Buffalo owned the first half, but didn't put up many points, Pittsburgh did what they often do, got it going in the 2nd half on offense and didn't quit on the run game and continued playing great defense. Buffalo kinda crumbled late and made some mistakes that cost 'em.

Was a bit surprised at the Eagles today. Jalen Hurts looked very good for them today, like he could be a nice starting QB. Philly may have gotten a good one after all.

Cleveland still can't get over that KC hill. Had a nice lead in the 2nd half...

For all the grief I've given Jameis Winston, its only fair I compliment his performance today. Efficient, mostly accurate and most importantly, Turnover Free. If he continues like that, N.O. may compete for the playoffs. Saints have some defense too!

Uuummm...was that Aaron Rodgers?

#94 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 13 September 2021 - 03:19 AM

I saw the final score of that Packers v Saints game. An ugly game for the Packers. I'll have to catch the highlights, but I'm guessing Rodgers is checked out, as this is his last season with the team. I think that is the deal, right?

[EDIT] Damn, I was looking over headlines and one said Rodgers was taken out of the game. Yikes.

[EDIT 2] Also, if Rodgers is playing this poorly and it continues, I'm guessing he's done with football and will retire? Because no team will want him if he has a season like that.

This post has been edited by Malankazooie: 13 September 2021 - 03:22 AM

#95 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 17 September 2021 - 05:11 PM

There's going to be an "in-season" Hard Knocks on HBO and the Colts will be the team it follows? That can't be a wise decision. Carson Wentz is fragile as it is. This can't be good for him if he is injured or if he has a poor performance on the field.

#96 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 21 September 2021 - 05:06 PM

Well my man, Tompa Brady and the Swashbuckling Bradettes 2-0 and look pretty formidable. Gronk a honk honk his way back to elite TE form in the league. Flying into LA this week against Matt Stafford helmed Rams should be a test.

And on my part, Ben Rawturdburger looks old. Upside is the Broncos are 2-0.

#97 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 21 September 2021 - 06:33 PM

49ers also 2-0 but sadly so are two other teams in their conference so it's a bit pointless haha at least we're currently doing better than the Seahawks!
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#98 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 21 September 2021 - 10:14 PM

That's a tough division. And the football media talking heads have made various predictions on when Jimmy G will get injured and rookie Trey Lance will have to step into and take over the starting QB job.

#99 User is offline   paran falcon 

• Emperor

Posted 22 September 2021 - 01:35 PM

View PostMalankazooie, on 21 September 2021 - 10:14 PM, said:

That's a tough division. And the football media talking heads have made various predictions on when Jimmy G will get injured and rookie Trey Lance will have to step into and take over the starting QB job.

The Bucs do look pretty good, yet they still have room for improvement. They're losing DBs like crazy right now, to the point that they have apparently contacted Richard Sherman about his potential availability. That Rams game should be something else. If the O line can't protect Brady against Donald and company (tall task!), the Bucs will lose that one. Unless they have a stellar day running the ball, maybe. Or the D line gets to Stafford A LOT.

The NFC West is a hell of a division. Not one pushover and I'd be surprised if they all don't end up with winning records. More than one should make the playoffs too, I would think.

Pittsburgh dropping that game to the Raiders at home was about as surprising as them pulling off the win in Buffalo the week before. Ben does look like he's done at times and yet I think its true that there is nobody better on their bench, currently? Certainly not Mason Rudolph from what I've seen. I haven't seen Josh Dobbs play for them...

#100 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 23 September 2021 - 06:47 PM

The injuries are stacking up. There seems to be two camps on this. One view is preseason games are to evaluate players trying to make the team, and don't play veterans. The other is preseason is necessary to allow all players to get into football hitting shape, and sitting them makes them more prone to injury when the regular season begins. I think the answer is probably somewhere in the middle, but it does seem the injuries are occurring more early. And shocker, Big Ben already has an injury. Steelers don't have a good alternative. Thy need to focus on their next QB answer in the upcoming off season, otherwise it could be a dismal few years.

Share this topic:

• 10 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users