• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2020 FAVOURITE GAMES

#1 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 18 December 2020 - 01:50 PM

THE MALAZAN EMPIRE’S FAVOURITE GAMES - 2020

Time for the obligatory end of year discussion about the media we consumed.

This thread is about the stuff we played. Doesn’t have to published this year Doesn’t have to be a top 10 list.

So, what did you play this year?

What did you enjoy? What surprised you? What disappointed you?

This post has been edited by Aptorian: 18 December 2020 - 05:47 PM

#2 User is offline   Primateus 

• E Pluribus Anus
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Stuff, lots of stuff!

Posted 18 December 2020 - 02:03 PM

My favourite game this year has undoubtedly been Space Engineers. I bought it over the summer and has since spent 660+ hours in it. No game since the MMO glory days has taken up as much of my time as this one.

Second place goes to Assassin's Creed: Odyssey. Goddamn, but without the microtransaction shenanigans that is a highly enjoyable game.
Screw you all, and have a nice day!

#3 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 18 December 2020 - 02:34 PM

I've only really played two games this year.

JEDI: FALLEN ORDER which was start-to-finish fucking EXCELLENT...like it's the kind of game I know I'll play again. And Cal Kestis is a wonderful protagonist who I'd like to see in other media.

And then I picked up the PS4 version of SKYRIM for a re-play and it's been scratching my itch for weeks now.

I haven't really played much else.

I own AC: ODYSSEY but haven't played much beyond the prologue and the initial area...I'll get back to it, but I haven't yet...and I'm itching to play AC: VALHALLA which I THINK my kids (read: wife) bought me for Xmas because my 4-year old can't keep secrets...LOL

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 18 December 2020 - 03:33 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#4 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 18 December 2020 - 03:26 PM

I've not gotten around to playing a lot of new stuff in the second part of 2020 but thanks to the quarantine, I played A LOT of stuff in the spring and early summer.

This year I remember playing the following.

Rage 2 - An incredibly mediocre and underwhelming game. Sort of okay combat but everything around it is bad. It's like a 2005 shooter that accidentally got released in 2019.

Death Stranding - This was a heck of a game to play through. I started it up expecting to hate the gameplay and stupid courier concept but I felt the patented Kojima crazy story telling would carry my through. I mean the trailers were really cool. To my suprise it turned out that the story is complete nonsencial trite but the actual game, transporting stuff from A to B, was incredibly satisfying. I feel like this game is somehow an incredibly bad and great game at the same time.

Jedi: Fallen Order - A good game that never quite hit a high note for me. I don't care for Souls games and the story wasn't spectacular, though the ending definitely had a very cool moment. I'd play a sequel. Thinking about it, Respawn, the developers, are reall on a hot streak, I don't think they've made a mistake yet. The Titanfall games, Apex: Legends, Medal of Honor, Jedi. They're sort of the MVP of EA right now.

Astroneers - This is almost one of my favorite games of all times - If it didn't have such frustrating camera controls and vehicle mechanics. It's an incredibly slow, often tedious and meditative game but boy did I enjoy it. Collecting ressources, building stuff, that allows you to refine your ressources, build better stuff that allows your to create other stuff. I got the same sense of joy from playing this as playing Minecraft. I'd definitely recommend playing it with other people if you have friends that don't hate you.

DOOM ETERNAL - Very cool shooter that didn't quite feel as pure as the 2016 reboot. I think in evolving the combat they've made the game a bit too convoluted, though I so like the combat soduku of managing armor, health and ammo, switching between the right tools to kill a big demon. The story was complete garbage and I'd honestly wish they'd just do simple levels with a bit of environmental storytelling like the Souls games instead. Still, a very good shooter.

Animal Crossing - I'd never played one of these games before and it was really cool for a couple of weeks until it became boring. I think the controls needed A LOT of work, it's ridiculous that you have to use a menu to switch between digging, chopping, crossing streams, catching flies, etc. etc. And the game needed more activities to fill out your day. After a while you're reduced to only doing the same activities for an hour each day which drained my interest.

The Division 2 - This time around the game didn't grab me the same way D1 did but it's still a very good military urban combat version of Destiny. I finished the main campaign but never got into the seemingly packed post game content explosion.

Devil May Cry 5 - I'm not great at these spectacle fighters. I mostly just mash buttons until things die. Thankfully the game has this easy mode where if you mash buttons it creates awesome combos anyway so that was cool. Didn't care much for the story, dividing the game into three story paths, with three characters seemed unnecessary. To be honest I liked the DMC reboot more. Had better bosses.

Outer Worlds - This was a really solid attempt by Obsidian at recreating the Bethesda/Fallout experience with a smaller budget. It's limited in certain ways but interestingly, I think Obsidian proved that you can create that patented Bethesda game - with out it being full of bugs and breaking constantly. It seems they're doing a sort of Elder Scrolls/Hexen games next but I hope they come back and do a proper 50's inspired Space Fallout sequel to Outer Worlds.

Borderlands 3 - I picked this back up after dropping it in the fall last year. It was a disappointment then and it didn't improve on a replay. I ended up finishing the story out of a sense of duty but it's just not a good game. It's just Borderlands 2 over again with no improvements based on the progress in co-op and looter shooters the past 7 years. Also the story was a travesty.

COD: Modern Warfare (2019) - Didn't bother with the multiplayer but the campaign was phenomenal. Really well designed, well told gaming experience. There were so many times throughout the campaign where I thought I was playing a next generation game. Really solid.

Tried playing The Last Guardian but rage quit after a while because the controls are a war crime.

Final Fantasy 7 Remake - Absolutely loved the first half of this game, totally GOTY experience filled with nostalgia, and then I played the second half that's full of japanese bullshit and the producers injecting meta content into the game ruining the experience. They completely ruin the introduction and mystery around Sephiroth and they have this reality/space-time ghost/god stuff they cram into the game for no reason. It's just awful.

Still I loved the remake of the original parts of the game. It's Disney levels of beautiful and heart warming. I'll definitely play part 2 but boy I hope they stop injecting Kingdom Hearts bullshit into the game.

The Last of Us Part 2 - First things first, this is an extremely well made game. The production values, animations, assets, combat feel, exploration satisfaction is superb. It's a shame then, that I came to hate the game's story and characters increasingly, the more I played. The way the game is designed is gratuitous in the way it tries to evoke a very specific feeling in you, that is ruined from the outset, in my opinion, if you played the first game and absolutely hated a certain protagonist because of their actions. The game then pulls a switch half way through that feels completely unneeded if the game wasn't so hamfisted in it's story telling. And this is actually weird, because the writing is good and so are the performances, but I think that in terms of writing, as games become better, there's a narrative equivalent of the Uncanny Valley, where the closer games writing comes to proper good writing, the more glaring the narrative dissonance and hand waving becomes. I hated TLOU2 by the end. Fuck Joel and fuck Ellie. Also the game is far too long.

Next up was Ghost of Tsushima. I didn't have high hopes for this game but I think it might be my Game of the Year. The story isn't that good, the textures aren't that high quality, it's filled with copy paste content - But holy crap is that game beautiful and vibrant and damn if I didn't enjoy playing a samurai. Long after it should have become tedious I was still cutting down mongols and bandits, collecting weird stuff and enjoying the scenery. I 100% that game and I could easily had gone back played through it again. Just a very enjoyable, very user friendly gaming experience.

Played through Days Gone but honestly, this game was so forgettable that the less said about the game the better. Strangely, I've heard they may make a sequel.

Paper Mario and the Origami King - I'm torn (ha!) about this game. It's not bad, it has a lot of heart, but it's just a very slow boil. There's not much challenge to the game and you're pretty much doing the same type of combat and collectable finding for 100 hours. Good game if you want something with no stress.

HADES - This game didn't click with me. I understand why it gets praise for the art work, the voice work, the writing but the combat didn't feel right. There wasn't enough variety in the rooms and I didn't like the weapons feel.

Finally there was Persona 5 Royal - Damn this was a great game. I feel like the actual story missions, in the palaces, became boring half way through, but the meat of the game, the daily life simulation, where you go to school, play games, go on dates, etc. was wonderful. Really satisfying gameplay. Incredibly well written characters and story paths. I went from never having played a Persona game to thinking Persona 5 is one of the best games ever made. I'd jump into Persona 4 Golden but I'm worried the game will take up another couple hundred hours of my life.

Don't play the third Royal semester of the game though. It's garbage and a waste of your time.

This post has been edited by Aptorian: 18 December 2020 - 03:57 PM

#5 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 19 December 2020 - 01:00 AM

I played a surprisingly large Amount of games this year, due to the lockdown. I played even more game does, due to all the steam festival events.

My overall favourite experience this year is probably "GhostRunner".It's frustrating, rage-inducing, but also slick, addicting, has an insane sense of momentum and " just one more try", and it doesn't overstay its welcome. Basically, a perfect package for a memorable action experience.

My "AAA" game of the year is Shadow of War. It's got its issues, but it's a big, crazy playground where I can be poison Batman thing unique Orcs like Pokemon. And occasionally I get to ride drakes and smash Naz'gul with a big hammer. What's not to love? Close second is Horizon Zero Dawn, because, hunting robo-animals, come on!

I also discovered metroidvanias this year. Ori games are awesome (except the fucking worm in Will of the Wisps"; Vigil: Longest Night was a great piece of gothic, combat-driven explore'em'up, and one I also enjoyed immensely.

Oh, I have a GAAS game! Well, sorta, I guess. I'm back onto the Age of Kings' hook, and that's my best "ongoing game" of all time, easily. Despite never playing with other people, all the cool custom content and being part of the designer/reviewer community is a pretty big part of gaming for me. And it's getting another expansion! Yeah, hands down, my "GAAS", such as it is (or isn't?)

Special mention to Hellpoint. I didn't finish it, cuz the last boss is a psychedelic mind trip and I didn't feel like grinding then, but the 40-odd hours I spent on it were pretty great. Other indie projects that deserve a mention are "Ashes of Oahu" for being one of the most gorgeous, and ambitious games I've not put enough effort into.
And "Warlander", which is probably my biggest disappointment, because the game came out with some bugs, but apparently it didn't sell well so the devs that made it went MIA, the game was never fixed, and it's since been delisted onSteam so it never will be. It was a good bunch of fun, because it has a dimple, but satisfying combat model; however, since it's a roguelite that requires multiple runs to unlock the true ending, and the progression got bored, there's very little replay value in there, which is a bloody shame.

Another delisted indie game I now own is " Shadows of Larth", a promising indie soulslike that the solo dev asked to be delisted after some initial negative review feedback. Feel bad about that one, because the game isn't bad, it's just not amazing.

I'm starting to ramble, and there's so many amazing game demos I could talk about! Really stoked for the next few years based on those indie games alone, but I'll probably save it for next year's anticipation thread.

Oh yeah, also- Halo games were all right.
The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

#6 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 19 December 2020 - 01:01 PM

I haven't played that many new games this year to be honest. But of those I have, Hades stands out. By far the best game I've played this year.
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#7 User is offline   Serenity 

• Saki!!!!!
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 19 December 2020 - 05:04 PM

I don't think any of my favourite games this year were actually released in 2020.

I finished off the Trails in the Sky trilogy by completing Second Chapter and playing through The 3rd, and loved them to bits.

Then moved on to Trails of Cold Steel, played and finished the first and am now well into the second. Both the Sky games and the Cold Steel games have some of my favourite characters in any game. The translations by XSeed are wonderful, the plots are full of jaw-on-the-floor moments, the combat system is brilliant fun and evolves a little more with each game. Yes, graphically they are dated and yes, there's a fuck ton of reading to do, but this series has easily become my favourite JRPG series of all the ones I've played.

My other favourite game this year was also by Falcom, and that was Ys VIII. Just a fantastic action RPG with fast, fluid combat and fun characters. I played it mostly handheld on Switch and once it grabbed hold - which, for me, was around the end of Chapter 2 - it wouldn't let go until I finished it. It also has possibly the best soundtrack I've heard in a game.

I finally finished Persona 4 Golden this year, and loved it to bits, but there was one thing about it right near the end which nearly ruined it for me, such a stupid thing that really pissed me off. I also played a lot of Persona 5 Royal, nearly 100 hrs worth, but it's kind of fallen into the background as the Trails series took over. I will get back to it.

Me and a mate have been playing through Divinity Original Sin 2, which has been very enjoyable but we still haven't finished it - we're in the final stages.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users