Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Spine Covers for the Malazan Series

#1 User is offline   TheClasyWaggon 

• Recruit
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 03 November 2020 - 07:46 PM

I have seen a lot of people mention they dislike the variation in spines for the Tor press of the main 10 Malazan books, especially since the art style changes for the last 2 books. Though I don't really mind the old school look, I thought it would be interesting to work on a side project that aims to fix this issue.

By drafting spines designed to wrap around the book, I have made a new spine set for the BCE's based on the design of the Sub Press spines. Test prints for this work well, and the spines stay in place by adding an extra 1.5-2 inches of paper on both sides (the books pressing together on the shelf is the real force that keeps them from shifting).

Here are the new spine drafts - and an example of the spines I made for the Wheel of Time.

When I get my books from storage (plus new ones from the mail) and get the prints finalized I will post a photo of the before/after shot.

I would love to hear some thoughts from the community before I get them printed off. For now I am going with a slate green color but am open to suggestions. Please note that these are for personal use, and I have no intent to distribute these, especially since I do not personally own the right to the logos and images used in this project.

#2 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 03 November 2020 - 08:28 PM

VERY nice.
Solid choice of images, i like the layout.
One question - why the dark green?
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#3 User is offline   TheClasyWaggon 

• Recruit

Posted 03 November 2020 - 08:55 PM

View PostAbyss, on 03 November 2020 - 08:28 PM, said:

One question - why the dark green?

I originally went with he dark slate that Sub Press uses. My FIL has a collection of leatherbound books and the green sets look pretty nice. I have been bouncing between the slate and green for awhile now. And thanks for the praise, it took me awhile to frame everything and get the images in high enough res.

#4 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 04 November 2020 - 02:26 PM

True the color works in bound leather, pixel and screen doesn't really capture that.
In my head MBF is more ash or slate or charcoal or other color that's essentially pretentious grey or black.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#5 User is offline   TheClasyWaggon 

• Recruit

Posted 04 November 2020 - 02:37 PM

I did decide to go with your suggestion, the test prints in slate look better than the green. When the set is done I’ll tag you!

#6 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 05 November 2020 - 06:29 PM

Please share more! Do you sell these?

#7 User is offline   TheClasyWaggon 

• Recruit

Posted 05 November 2020 - 10:00 PM

View PostWhisperzzzzzzz, on 05 November 2020 - 06:29 PM, said:

Not for sale since I do not own the rights to the images and logos, I plan to get some prints today so I will post some pictures. I can explain the process more in the future for people if they want to make their own set.

#8 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 05 November 2020 - 10:14 PM

View PostTheClasyWaggon, on 05 November 2020 - 10:00 PM, said:

View PostWhisperzzzzzzz, on 05 November 2020 - 06:29 PM, said:

Not for sale since I do not own the rights to the images and logos, I plan to get some prints today so I will post some pictures. I can explain the process more in the future for people if they want to make their own set.

I have so many damn different versions it'd be an expense to make one a complete set. I bet there are many others like me, especially here in the US where it had a weird release schedule. If I did it it'd probably all have to be the Bantam where all of my post TBH books are from when I started ordering them from the UK pre-release.

But, it'd be pretty cool.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users