Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Pulling a Sword?

#1 User is offline   Khanna 

• Corporal
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 27 October 2020 - 11:36 AM

At page 112 of the Book #3 there's a sentence I didn't understand. Whiskeyjack and Mallet are talking. Whiskeyack says, "With Oponn's luck I won't have to pull a sword--commanders usually don't, do they?"

What does this mean? Is he referring to his wounded leg (like if luck is on his side he won't have to cut it off)? Or does this have anything to do with the impending war?

#2 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 27 October 2020 - 12:50 PM

Your page numbers are weird. In my kindle edition the segment is on p. 63:

After a long moment, the man sighed. ‘Not yet, I suppose. He’s as stubborn as you are … sir. Hood, you sure you two aren’t related?’ ‘Damned sure,’ Whiskeyjack growled. ‘Your average camp dog has purer blood than what’s in my family line. Let it rest for now, then. Talk to Quick and Spindle. See what you can find out about those hidden sorceries – if gods are plucking Paran’s strings again, I want to know who, and then we can mull on why.’ Mallet’s eyes thinned as he studied the commander. ‘Sir, what are we heading into?’ ‘I’m not sure, Healer,’ Whiskeyjack admitted with a grimace. Grunting, he shifted weight off his bad leg. ‘With Oponn’s luck I won’t have to pull a sword – commanders usually don’t, do they?’ ‘If you gave me the time, sir—’ ‘Later, Mallet. Right now I’ve got a parley to think about. Brood and his army’s arrived outside Pale.’ ‘Aye.’ ‘And your captain’s probably wondering where in Hood’s name you’ve disappeared to. Get out of here, Mallet. I’ll see you again after the parley.’ ‘Yes, sir.’

They're referring to the fact that commanders usually don't fight on the front line and as such, Whiskeyjack won't have to rely on his bad leg.

#3 User is offline   Khanna 

• Corporal
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 27 October 2020 - 02:39 PM

View PostAptorian, on 27 October 2020 - 12:50 PM, said:

Your page numbers are weird. In my kindle edition the segment is on p. 63:

After a long moment, the man sighed. 'Not yet, I suppose. He's as stubborn as you are … sir. Hood, you sure you two aren't related?' 'Damned sure,' Whiskeyjack growled. 'Your average camp dog has purer blood than what's in my family line. Let it rest for now, then. Talk to Quick and Spindle. See what you can find out about those hidden sorceries – if gods are plucking Paran's strings again, I want to know who, and then we can mull on why.' Mallet's eyes thinned as he studied the commander. 'Sir, what are we heading into?' 'I'm not sure, Healer,' Whiskeyjack admitted with a grimace. Grunting, he shifted weight off his bad leg. 'With Oponn's luck I won't have to pull a sword – commanders usually don't, do they?' 'If you gave me the time, sir—' 'Later, Mallet. Right now I've got a parley to think about. Brood and his army's arrived outside Pale.' 'Aye.' 'And your captain's probably wondering where in Hood's name you've disappeared to. Get out of here, Mallet. I'll see you again after the parley.' 'Yes, sir.'

They're referring to the fact that commanders usually don't fight on the front line and as such, Whiskeyjack won't have to rely on his bad leg.

Makes sense. Thank you.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users