• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Tales beyond the Book of the Fallen

#1 User is offline   NotasQuickasQuickBen 

• Recruit
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 23 October 2020 - 12:26 PM

Hi all,

Has there been any indication of the story will go beyond the Crippled God and tell us more of the Empire and the world?

Obviously where it finished was their point to call it and I know the Toblakai books will expand on things a little but do we know if there is intent to take the story farther?

In a similar topic as the story was created off the back of their RPG, do we know if they went further with the game than where the books stop or was that also where the game stopped and so, presumably, not as much content to tap into?

Thanks!

#2 User is offline   ArchieVist 

• Captain

Posted 23 October 2020 - 08:47 PM

Erikson has said that the first volume of the new trilogy will not feature Karsa as the Teblor's impact on the world in the MBotF was great and the repercussions on the world need to be examined before returning to Karsa. So I think we'll get more of the Malazan world and Empire even if they're not the main focus of the books. I also seem to recall him mentioning all the set up he did with Felisin Younger and her cult was not going to waste, so maybe we'll see more of that part of the world as well.

As far as the RPG goes, my understanding from the dribs and drabs we've gotten in interviews is that the Erikson and Esslemont games more created the background of the MBotF and largely involved events from before the novels or in the early novels. This includes the adventures and rivalries of Rake, Brood, T'riss, and Osserc, the claiming of Moon's Spawn, Rake on Seguleh Island, etc. They also gamed Wu and Dancer's partnership and the campaigns with the Old Guard to win the Empire. Closer to the time of GotM, they gamed the Seven Cities and Genabackis campaigns with the Bridgeburners. Darujhistan from GotM was largely gamed. After that, we know that Erikson continued gaming to at least some degree without Esslemont, gaming Karsa with a different friend and gaming the campaigns of the Bonehunters through to the end of the series with another group of friends. Both MT and TtH had at least some elements gamed by Erikson, but I don't know with who else.

I haven't heard much about post-Crippled God games, but among the hand drawn maps Erikson has posted on his Facebook page was a "Post-Empire" Quon Tali map dated 1325 BS.

(If anyone's interested in more gaming detail, this page on the wiki has all the details I've been able to dig up so far.)

This post has been edited by ArchieVist: 23 October 2020 - 08:47 PM

#3 User is offline   Mataglap 

• Recruit

Posted 09 January 2021 - 06:55 PM

View PostArchieVist, on 23 October 2020 - 08:47 PM, said:

(If anyone's interested in more gaming detail, this page on the wiki has all the details I've been able to dig up so far.)

Nice work. It's cool to see how much the novels AREN'T retelling of rpg sessions. ICE's Path to Ascendency books feel retty different compared to his other novels.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users