• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Reading Order Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   HiHaFiZi 

• Recruit
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 17 September 2020 - 11:54 AM

hi there,
somehow i mixed the recommendations for the reading order up and after Toll the Hounds i moved on to Dust of Dreams (currently in the middle of it).
so... basically my question is: does it make sense, to read Stonewielder after DoD or is it "too late/senseless" to go back to it?
thank you

#2 User is offline   ArchieVist 

• Captain

Posted 17 September 2020 - 08:05 PM

I would just proceed to The Crippled God after finishing Dust of Dreams. Unlike the other 8 books in the main series, the last two books are really one giant book. When mixing the Esslemont books into the Erikson reading order only Return of the Crimson Guard's positioning is important to get right.

#3 User is offline   HiHaFiZi 

• Recruit

Posted 18 September 2020 - 12:25 PM

ArchieVist, on 17 September 2020 - 08:05 PM, said:

I would just proceed to The Crippled God after finishing Dust of Dreams. Unlike the other 8 books in the main series, the last two books are really one giant book. When mixing the Esslemont books into the Erikson reading order only Return of the Crimson Guard's positioning is important to get right.

thanks for the response!yes i know, erikson stated in the beginning of the book that Dust of Dreams and Cripped God stick together... but i read somewhere (at least that's how i remember it) that you could read SW after DoD, but i guess was wrong)
so do you think that as for the time when i finish CG, does it history/storywise make sense to read stonewielder afterwards or should i keep it for my re-read whenever that will happen?(Night of Knives and CrimsonGuard i got right)

#4 User is offline   ArchieVist 

• Captain

Posted 18 September 2020 - 07:39 PM

If you'd prefer to go back to Stonewielder after Dust of Dreams, don't let my suggestion above stop you. It's not going to hurt anything. The latter books in Esslemont's series weave around the events of the Erikson series, but they're mostly concerned with telling their own stories and taking up some pre-Dust of Dreams threads that Erikson never gets back to. Return of the Crimson Guard is the only one that moves some of Erikson's pieces around before Erikson returns to them. I wouldn't wait for a reread to finish off the remaining Esslemont books.

#5 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 19 September 2020 - 03:22 PM

Ya, you'll be fine reading Stonewielder in between DoD and TCG. No harm.

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#6 User is offline   HiHaFiZi 

• Recruit

Posted 03 October 2020 - 06:32 AM

thank you both!

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users