Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Steve Brust

#1 User is offline   opiate taylor 

• Sergeant
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 12 October 2005 - 07:37 PM

Have any of you guys read anything by Steven Brust? I've heard so many mixed reviews about his work, I'm not ready to buy anything of his yet. If you have read him, where do I begin? I see these Vlad Taltos novels and a slew of others. Hell, I read that he has even written a novel with Megan Lindholm (aka Robin Hobb).
Anyway, who does he remind you of? I like SE, Cook, Tad Williams (Otherland), Gene Wolfe, Hobb, Martin, etc. Glen Cook is my fave. Think Brust would be my style? Thanks in advance for the advice. I am a poor man who loves to read=)

!not a good combo!

.Later.
"The commodore says you're a fucking asshole."

#2 User is offline   ObsoleteResolve 

• Fist

Posted 14 October 2005 - 04:34 AM

I haven't read the Vlad Taltos books, but I have read "The Phoenix Guards" and "Five Hundred Years After." It... grows on you. I'm not a big fan of the style, so its a little rough for me. Entertaining.

Those, at least- and the other three in that series (Sethra Lavode, Lord of Castle Black, and the other) -are written in a style like Dumas. I think it's Dumas. Isn't it Dumas?

Oh well. It grows on you. But it takes awhile.

.david
"Say what you will about the sweet miracle of unquestioning faith, I consider a capacity for it terrifying and absolutely vile!"- Kurt Vonnegut

#3 User is offline   Leoman of the Flails 

• Corporal

Posted 25 October 2005 - 03:30 PM

I picked up To Reign in Hell the other day, havent read it yet though. I heard some people talking about him, and when I saw the book at mcnally robinson I picked it up because I couldnt find anything else, so we'll see how it turns out

#4 User is offline   opiate taylor 

• Sergeant

Posted 26 October 2005 - 12:35 PM

thanks to both of you for the input. from the sound of it, I think I'll wait on buying any of Burst's novels. I read an interview with him recently. Maybe it was just the interviewer, but the author came off like a real ass. I guess that doesn't effect one's work, but it is definitely a turn-off for me. I'll stick with my old faves for now.
"The commodore says you're a fucking asshole."

#5 Guest_Edge_*

• Group: Unregistered / Not Logged In

Posted 26 October 2005 - 11:10 PM

There are several Brust fans on the forum who will try to convert you. I personally have only read The Book of Jhereg which is an omnibus of three of the Vlad Taltos novels and I thought they were awful. Apparently his other stuff is better but Jhereg has put me off him for life.

#6 User is offline   Chance 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 28 October 2005 - 10:15 AM

...hehe...

Ive read a quiet a few of the book just like I read kinda everything I get my hands on...and brust is no worse nor much better then the averanged fantasy out there its a bit diffrent thou...

To reign in hell which I read quiet recently was a strange yet very nice novel...the others Ive read mostly the taltos novels are very varying in quality going from a very nice read to maybe not that good ;)

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users