Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Quick reco request For father's day

#1 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 15 June 2020 - 06:14 PM

Looking to pick up a book for dad for Father's day.

He likes thrillers, Lee Child, Harlan Coben, Clive Cussler, etc.

Trying to find him a new author or an old author that he won't have come across. Fast paced, page turner's.
He's ok with low fantasy too, doesn't have to be "real world" settings. He does enjoy Abercrombie as a fantasy author and really enjoyed Legend (who wouldn't) but I have all those books on the shelf.

So yeah, an off the beaten track author, in the mold of lee child etc, like he found a book by this guy Nick Pietre or someone in a charity shop, devoured it and then demanded I find the other two books in the series.

Go nerds go!

#2 User is offline   Andorion 

• God
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:All things Malazan, sundry sci-fi and fantasy, history, Iron Maiden

Posted 15 June 2020 - 06:23 PM

Check out Matthew Reilly.

Absurdly action packed, intensely fast paced.

I recommend Ice Station.

#3 User is offline   Cyphon 

• Cagey Bastard of TQB
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 15 June 2020 - 06:27 PM

Blake Crouch for some sci fi thriller? Dark Matter is the one of his that I've read.

This post has been edited by Cyphon: 15 June 2020 - 06:28 PM

Para todos todo, para nosotros nada.

MottI'd always pegged you as more of an Ublala

#4 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 15 June 2020 - 06:31 PM

View PostCyphon, on 15 June 2020 - 06:27 PM, said:

Blake Crouch for some sci fi thriller? Dark Matter is the one of his that I've read.

Good call. Dark matter is excellent

#5 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 15 June 2020 - 06:38 PM

View PostAndorion, on 15 June 2020 - 06:23 PM, said:

Check out Matthew Reilly.

Absurdly action packed, intensely fast paced.

I recommend Ice Station.

I would skip Reilly as his stuff is a little too paint-by-numbers video-gamey...

...BUT, in that vein and the same vein as Cussler in fact, I would throw out James Rollins Sigma series as that exact type of fare.

The first 4 - 5 Sigma books are well worth this time (after that they get a bit samey samey, if not directly bad).

MAP OF BONES is Sigma 1 and then BLACK ORDER is Sigma 2, and JUDAS STRAIN is 3...all three of those excellent, and pacey thrillers with historical mysteries at their core. Book 5 - 14 are hit and miss, but still solidly enjoyable...so if he DOES like them, you can keep getting him new ones for each gift you get him.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 15 June 2020 - 06:39 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#6 User is offline   nacht 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 15 June 2020 - 11:23 PM

If he is a bit of rake :-) with a sense of humor, you can look at the "Flashman papers". A tad historical but they are fast paced.

Probably even the Path to Ascendancy

#7 User is offline   nacht 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 15 June 2020 - 11:25 PM

Maybe try Manga for a change. Lone Wolf and Cub series

#8 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 15 June 2020 - 11:43 PM

Patrick Lee's TRAVIS CHASE trilo. Insane pacing, some sf but primarily action thriller. Book 1 THE BREACH reads like a standalone.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#9 User is offline   Hound 

• Lieutenant

Posted 16 June 2020 - 08:21 AM

Preston & Child's Pendergast books, more thriller/mystery, but the Pendergast character is really great!Or the Joe Ledger books by Jonathan Maberry, very very fast paced, awesome action scenes.

#10 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 16 June 2020 - 11:34 AM

View PostAbyss, on 15 June 2020 - 11:43 PM, said:

Patrick Lee's TRAVIS CHASE trilo. Insane pacing, some sf but primarily action thriller. Book 1 THE BREACH reads like a standalone.

Hard seconded.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#11 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 16 June 2020 - 11:51 AM

What about technothrillers a la Tom Clancy (Red Storm Rising, The Bear and the Dragon etc) - Larry Bond, Harold Coyle, Eric L Harry et al?

This post has been edited by Tsundoku: 16 June 2020 - 11:53 AM

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#12 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 16 June 2020 - 02:39 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 16 June 2020 - 11:34 AM, said:

Hard seconded.

Thirded. Excellent series

View PostTsundoku, on 16 June 2020 - 11:51 AM, said:

What about technothrillers a la Tom Clancy (Red Storm Rising, The Bear and the Dragon etc) - Larry Bond, Harold Coyle, Eric L Harry et al?

Red Storm Rising and Red October are superb. The other Clancies.... not so much.

I would recommend Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child though.

#13 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 16 June 2020 - 02:59 PM

View PostAndorion, on 16 June 2020 - 02:39 PM, said:

Hard seconded.

Red Storm Rising and Red October are superb. The other Clancies.... not so much.

There is also an unapologetic "RaRa America Fuck Yeah-ness" about the Clancy novels that I dislike.

#14 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 16 June 2020 - 03:49 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 16 June 2020 - 02:59 PM, said:

View PostAndorion, on 16 June 2020 - 02:39 PM, said:

Hard seconded.

There is also an unapologetic "RaRa America Fuck Yeah-ness" about the Clancy novels that I dislike.

I think that's sort of the hallmark of a lot of the 80-90s Larry Bond, Clancy, Dale Brown books. Red Storm Rising did not have it as much. Its a shame because I liked the first 2 of Dale Brown's Dreamland books

#15 User is offline   RACHEL 

• Captain

Posted 16 June 2020 - 04:39 PM

Preston / Child for sure, Jeffrey Deaver at least the Lincoln Rhyme novels, Wilbur Smith, yes to James Rollins

#16 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• My pen halts, though I do not
  • View gallery

Posted 16 June 2020 - 06:36 PM

In addition to Patrick Lee's TRAVIS CHASE books, he has a SAM DRYDEN series as well. The first book is RUNNER, it's excellent, and might as well be standalone.
"Here is light. You will say that it is not a living entity, but you miss the point that it is more, not less. Without occupying space, it fills the universe. It nourishes everything, yet itself feeds upon destruction. We claim to control it, but does it not perhaps cultivate us as a source of food? May it not be that all wood grows so that it can be set ablaze, and that men and women are born to kindle fires?"
―Gene Wolfe, The Citadel of the Autarch

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users