Malazan Empire: UFOs, UAPs, Lights in the sky! - Malazan Empire

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

UFOs, UAPs, Lights in the sky! Do you want to believe?

#1 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 29 April 2020 - 06:58 AM

Let's discuss something more fun in these troubled times. UFOs!

You may have noticed some UFO footage popping back up in the media this week. Here's a random BBC article:

https://www.bbc.com/...canada-52457805

Here's a random NY Times article with more details

https://www.nytimes....avy-pilots.html

Joe Rogan also had a couple of the pilots on his show, talking about what they saw.

This is the same footage that was revealed a couple years ago. Not much was made of it but I remember it blew my mind.

I'm convinced this is real proof that somebody or something is flying around in our skies. Doesn't have to be aliens, could be time travellers, what ever, but the truth is out there.

What do you think?

Do you want to believe?

This post has been edited by Aptorian: 29 April 2020 - 07:03 AM

#2 User is offline   Silencer 

• Manipulating Special Data
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen series.
    Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 29 April 2020 - 01:36 PM

As someone who enjoys watching Ancient Aliens and UFO Hunters to laugh at them, I generally fall in the camp that reckons nothing with the ability to travel to our planet from far, far, far away has either: ever been here or: has ever been caught on camera.

Nothing in that footage suggests alien technology to me. They're poorly focused FLIR images and from my limited knowledge of aviation, don't demonstrate any behaviour not attainable by current levels of technology here on earth.

Hell, UFO Hunters used to have a decent scientist on the show - they looked into some FLIR footage captured by the crew of a police helicopter. Looked like some weird, oval shaped object that was spinning.
They spent most of a 40 minute episode on this. It was "compelling", the witnesses in the helicopter were "trained to observe" and were sure it was aliens, or at least unexplainable - the footage was analysed by an expert who couldn't be sure what it was, but he was confident it wasn't a helicopter or plane.
In the last ten minutes of the episode, the on-show scientist is like, "I want to try something..." and goes and gets a FLIR camera, and has a helicopter fly around a bit while he films. He brings the footage back, and is like, "back when I was flying imaging missions for NASA, I used to see things like this if the focus was wrong".
Loads up the footage, and sure enough, helicopter engine looks almost identical to the footage that kicked off the episode, if a bit higher quality. Because the engine is the only part of the helo that shows up on thermals at distance, especially if the focus is off.

Of course, the other guys on the team (who frequently declare "it's exactly the same!" When looking at one triangle and one oval) were not sure it was 'exactly' the same. Let me tell you, it was pretty much fucking identical.

The point being, FLIR footage is hard to interpret, and is dependant on the right settings to get a clear image. If it's not focused right, you pick up the outline of the engine only, and engines tend to have rotating parts, and look really weird. At least one of those clips, I'm like 99% confident that's what we're seeing, and the others I'm in the 90% confidence range. Of course, it's "unidentified", because with just that footage you can't tell if it's a drone, a jet, a helicopter, or what, let alone which specific type that aircraft is.

Sadly, despite our technology advancing leaps and bounds since the 40s, we still have nothing remotely close to evidence of alien life or technology, and in a lot of cases, the footage has not got better along with the technology improvements. And even things like FLIR, have made it easier to be confused by footage, because people don't know that what they're seeing is so heavily influenced by the camera as to be unrecognizable as the standard aircraft it is.

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#3 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 29 April 2020 - 02:22 PM

You must be fun at parties Silencer.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#4 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 29 April 2020 - 03:53 PM

View PostBriar King, on 29 April 2020 - 03:19 PM, said:

I love this shit. As much as I look at the sky on my regular basis I’ve only seen something freaky once and it didn’t even dawn on me till after the 2nd time I saw it. A triangular red light point through my tree limbs like Mars and Alderbran. I was on my phone on this site actually when I glanced up and say the point and thought “damn that is balling” looked back at phone a few minutes looked back up still blazing away behind the tree limbs in sky which made me smile. Back to my phone for like 2 seconds and it dawns on me....Mars ISNT in the southeastern sky right then but in the southwestern sky....and when I bug eyed the spot through tree there was nothing there. I then ran around tree to clear sky. There were no red colored stars whatsoever. Truly vexing, interesting and more then a little fucking freaky.

Obviously there was a passing Predator scoping you out to see if you needed to be skinned and mounted as a trophy.
Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#5 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 29 April 2020 - 07:57 PM

View PostSilencer, on 29 April 2020 - 01:36 PM, said:

As someone who enjoys watching Ancient Aliens and UFO Hunters to laugh at them, I generally fall in the camp that reckons nothing with the ability to travel to our planet from far, far, far away has either: ever been here or: has ever been caught on camera.

Nothing in that footage suggests alien technology to me. They're poorly focused FLIR images and from my limited knowledge of aviation, don't demonstrate any behaviour not attainable by current levels of technology here on earth.

Hell, UFO Hunters used to have a decent scientist on the show - they looked into some FLIR footage captured by the crew of a police helicopter. Looked like some weird, oval shaped object that was spinning.
They spent most of a 40 minute episode on this. It was "compelling", the witnesses in the helicopter were "trained to observe" and were sure it was aliens, or at least unexplainable - the footage was analysed by an expert who couldn't be sure what it was, but he was confident it wasn't a helicopter or plane.
In the last ten minutes of the episode, the on-show scientist is like, "I want to try something..." and goes and gets a FLIR camera, and has a helicopter fly around a bit while he films. He brings the footage back, and is like, "back when I was flying imaging missions for NASA, I used to see things like this if the focus was wrong".
Loads up the footage, and sure enough, helicopter engine looks almost identical to the footage that kicked off the episode, if a bit higher quality. Because the engine is the only part of the helo that shows up on thermals at distance, especially if the focus is off.

Of course, the other guys on the team (who frequently declare "it's exactly the same!" When looking at one triangle and one oval) were not sure it was 'exactly' the same. Let me tell you, it was pretty much fucking identical.

The point being, FLIR footage is hard to interpret, and is dependant on the right settings to get a clear image. If it's not focused right, you pick up the outline of the engine only, and engines tend to have rotating parts, and look really weird. At least one of those clips, I'm like 99% confident that's what we're seeing, and the others I'm in the 90% confidence range. Of course, it's "unidentified", because with just that footage you can't tell if it's a drone, a jet, a helicopter, or what, let alone which specific type that aircraft is.

Sadly, despite our technology advancing leaps and bounds since the 40s, we still have nothing remotely close to evidence of alien life or technology, and in a lot of cases, the footage has not got better along with the technology improvements. And even things like FLIR, have made it easier to be confused by footage, because people don't know that what they're seeing is so heavily influenced by the camera as to be unrecognizable as the standard aircraft it is.

I'll echo QT and say booo! Don't poop on the UFO parade!

I'll agree that the footage is easily dismissable because it's so low on detail. BUT. There's also the interviews with the pilots. One thing is for a helicopter or swamp gas reflecting light from Venus being mistaken for a UFO but according to the pilots, their equipment registered these objects trying to evade telemetry and moving in ways that no known technology should be able to. Sudden changes in direction or speed that defy laws of momentum. That's the stuff that makes me believe because if trained pilots, familiar with military capabilities, say that what their instruments are telling them is "impossible", then there has to be more to this than just Russian/Chinese/Area 51 test flights.

Of course one fly in the ointment is the lack of high definition footage. If these tic tac UFO's are a reoccuring phenomena, surely the military could have a spy plane point their cameras in the objects direction and get more than grainy infra red footage of the thing.

And there's the argument that the Pentagon themselves are taking the footage seriously.

This post has been edited by Aptorian: 29 April 2020 - 07:58 PM

#6 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 29 April 2020 - 08:20 PM

I'm tickled the guy from Blink 182 was validated. Watching, waiting, commiserating paid off. Kudos to him.

#7 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 30 April 2020 - 07:35 AM

View PostSilencer, on 29 April 2020 - 01:36 PM, said:

What then if the helicopter starts saying HAK HAK HAK? I know how that goes down.
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#8 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 30 April 2020 - 07:45 PM

Come on people. I want some input.

Do you think there really are UFOs of some unexplained origin out there or is it all made up like crop circles and big foot?

#9 User is online   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 30 April 2020 - 07:56 PM

Well, the whole concept of a UFO surely rests upon the premise that it is of unexplained origin? As soon as we'd know what it was, it wouldn't be an unidentified object anymore.

If you mean whether they are aliens, then nope. Or us from the future. Nope. Sorry.
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#10 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 30 April 2020 - 09:42 PM

I want to believe. I definitely believe that if life is found in one other place then it will be in many other places. Then the sheer vastness of space and time gets in the way because you need intelligent life to be existing superior to us but in the same time frame to be able to send space craft here while we exist to see them. So I guess taking all that into account the most likely thing to get here yet not be so superior as to be undetectable will be drones / probes. Which those things totally are.

And also if intelligent life is in a lot of places then what the hell makes us interesting enough to visit? Apart from exploiting us for natural resources/ farming us for meat. For truly superior intelligent beings we are either a pre-warp novelty sideshow or a shit stain on the universe.

So I think my answer is those things are totally UFOs from a superior civilisation. And just when I got through eating the best bits of my panic buying stockpile.

This post has been edited by Mezla PigDog: 30 April 2020 - 09:49 PM

Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#11 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 01 May 2020 - 05:49 PM

My thoughts are that any civilization with the tech to conquer space would have no need to ever visit earth, invade us, experiment on us or interact with us. They would be the definition of alien, we would have nothing in common and space has enough resources that there would be no need to compete

#12 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 01 May 2020 - 07:15 PM

they would pick up the internets being beamed around the planet and just use the death star to wipe us out for the betterment of the universe

#13 User is offline   champ 

• Omnipotent Overseer of the Universe
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 20 May 2020 - 04:04 PM

View PostAptorian, on 30 April 2020 - 07:45 PM, said:

Come on people. I want some input.

Do you think there really are UFOs of some unexplained origin out there or is it all made up like crop circles and big foot?

I used to call bullshit but about 5 years ago I was out with a mate in the country real late at night and we saw something in the sky that we couldn't explain, the way it moved and then vanished left us gobsmacked, we both looked at each other like did that just really happen?! We did just see that yeah?!?!

If you watch the Joe Rogan ep with the pilots their testimony is pretty credible.

Anything to do with Bob Lazar is just a joke. His story changes so often.

I want to believe but ultimately, I don't know, something as big as aliens visiting the planet would be pretty hard to keep a secret.

Tehol said:

'Yet my heart breaks for a naked hen.'

#14 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 23 May 2020 - 06:13 PM

I'm not all that convinced. The ubiquitousness of devices that we have in our hands that would be a film documentarian's wet dream only a scant quarter century ago, and we don't have any more compelling evidence? By now we should have 4K footage of a bigfoot fucking a bear in the woods.

#15 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 23 May 2020 - 06:19 PM

They have anti-cellphone technology. They jam people's phones and make their cameras into potatoes.

#16 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 27 July 2020 - 03:04 PM

Posted Image

#17 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 26 November 2020 - 06:15 AM

There's been some strange occurrences in Colorado going back decades. And there is one of those vortexes that are supposed to be a conduit located in the San Luis Valley near the Great Sand Dunes. I've heard stories of bloodless cattle mutilation done with surgical precision on the eastern plains that go back to the 1970s.

All the UFO sightings in America, mapped

And what, precisely, is going on with our neighbor Utah?

#18 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 27 November 2020 - 08:40 PM

So I guess some redditors have deduced the Utah monolith is from the HBO series Westworld production. Either it was left by mistake or it was set there purposely as a prank to be found. I don't think it's definitive though, so the fraction of my brain that loves me some UFO conspiracy is still going off like 4th of July fireworks.

Mysterious monolith puzzle has been solved by internet sleuths

#19 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 09 December 2020 - 08:44 PM

You guys aren't talking about the former Israeli space security chief and the galactic federation. What up with that?

#20 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 07 January 2021 - 03:26 PM

With all the craziness going on with 2020 and stuff and no end to 2020 stuff, you guys missed this.

UFO report set to be released as a result of US emergency relief bill

The truth is out there, and I guess the curtain will be lifted a little bit more by the time summer is here. www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qz2wnSVeITg

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users