• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Baldur's Gate 3

#1 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 28 February 2020 - 12:10 AM

Normally I would have posted this in the video games thread, but after watching I think this game needs it's own discussion thread.

This is how you generate excitement for your game.

[EDIT] Gameplay from IGN youtube channel (fast-forward to around 27:20) https://www.youtube....h?v=XJhawYZwvPI

Haven't had time to watch. Hope to have some later in evening or tomorrow.

This post has been edited by Malankazooie: 28 February 2020 - 12:44 AM

#2 User is offline   Imperial Historian 

• Master of the Deck
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 28 February 2020 - 07:01 AM

I watched the gameplay. It looked incredible.

#3 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 28 February 2020 - 07:21 AM

Took a quick sketch at the gameplay footage.

Pretty yes, but I much prefer the old iso view. Get off my lawn

#4 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus

Posted 28 February 2020 - 09:39 AM

My worry is that the two Divinity games had a genuinely bad, and a entirely mediocre story, told in a way that I found uninspiring. The humor aside, there wasn't much to be excited about I found, and eventually I got bored of the gameplay and that was that. Baldur's Gate 1 and 2 both had excellent storytelling. That was what made them truly great, and is the reason they're still great to this day. I find myself doubtful that Larian will be able to get anywhere near that level.
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#5 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 28 February 2020 - 01:35 PM

Just watched the story cinematic. That's one of the coolest fantasy things I've ever seen. Is the squid dude typical of the mind flayers or is he a special mind flayer? I assume this is rooted in D&D?

#6 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear

Posted 28 February 2020 - 01:46 PM

View PostAptorian, on 28 February 2020 - 01:35 PM, said:

Just watched the story cinematic. That's one of the coolest fantasy things I've ever seen. Is the squid dude typical of the mind flayers or is he a special mind flayer? I assume this is rooted in D&D?

He looks like a normal mind flayer. I'm sure hes some crazy dude or something, but he doesn't look super different than other mind flayers, from what I can tell. The creatures riding the dragons, and at least one of the people in the ship, are Githyanki, who were previously enslaved by the Mind Flayers, and hunt them with wild abandon.

Yes this is DnD 5e. The other Baldurs Gate games were 3 or 3.5 I think? Also, Baldurs Gate is a city in Faerun, the 'default' setting of DnD.
Monster Hunter World Iceborne: It's like hunting monsters, but on crack, but the monsters are also on crack.

#7 User is offline   Imperial Historian 

• Master of the Deck
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 28 February 2020 - 03:51 PM

View PostMorgoth, on 28 February 2020 - 09:39 AM, said:

My worry is that the two Divinity games had a genuinely bad, and a entirely mediocre story, told in a way that I found uninspiring. The humor aside, there wasn't much to be excited about I found, and eventually I got bored of the gameplay and that was that. Baldur's Gate 1 and 2 both had excellent storytelling. That was what made them truly great, and is the reason they're still great to this day. I find myself doubtful that Larian will be able to get anywhere near that level.

This is true, I'm hoping Wizard's involvement and the ability to use existing lore will up the writing game. They don't have to spend much time building the world's lore like Divinity and have some story telling experts on hand as consultants. So I hope!

#8 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 28 February 2020 - 06:53 PM

I've only been able to click around on the game play video, but what I have watched has impressed me with the amount of depth and detail that has been incorporated in your character's presence/bearing in the world. I'm officially excited about this game.

#9 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 10 March 2020 - 12:30 AM

Thought this would be a fun post. Since it looks like a Mind Flayer (or flayers) will feature prominently in the game, here is a neat primer on them. The channel this video is posted to is one of my favorite for D&D 'Monster Manual' like information.

#10 User is offline   Coltaine - 

• First Sword

Posted 12 March 2020 - 10:23 PM

View PostImperial Historian, on 28 February 2020 - 03:51 PM, said:

View PostMorgoth, on 28 February 2020 - 09:39 AM, said:

This is true, I'm hoping Wizard's involvement and the ability to use existing lore will up the writing game. They don't have to spend much time building the world's lore like Divinity and have some story telling experts on hand as consultants. So I hope!

Genuinely bad and mediocre story? I didn't finish Divinity Original Sin 1 and played it a long time ago, so I can't remember alot about the story, but I really liked Original Sin 2 and it is one of the reasons why I trust Larian to get Baldur's Gate 3 right.

On the other hand I never played part 1 and 2. Maybe I should give them a try before 3 comes out ^^

#11 User is offline   Garak 

• Emperor
  • Interests:40k, Star Wars, Babylon 5, WW2, A Song of Ice and Fire, the Drenai series, the Riftwar and all that followed it, D&D, Vikings, the Malazan Book of the Fallen. I think you get the gist of it.

Posted 13 March 2020 - 11:45 AM

Not sure why it's called BG3 really, since the story of 1 and 2 was finished in the expansion of 2.
The meaning of life is BOOM!!!

#12 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 13 March 2020 - 06:29 PM

Never played the original Baldur's Gate games. They were late 90s-ish release, yeah? I did watch some "Let's Play" video on YouTube of BG 1. I liked what I saw, and very cool for a game out at that time. Some very captivating story and interactive dialog from what I watched. If they can stay true that spirit and bring it forward with all the newer bells and whistles and incorporation of immersive mechanics, whooboy, they could have something fantastic to offer.

#13 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 18 March 2020 - 06:56 PM

*uncontrollableshakes need ...more... information... want... moar!

#14 User is offline   LinearPhilosopher 

• House Knight
  • Interests:Everything.

Posted 19 March 2020 - 04:09 AM

View PostGarak, on 13 March 2020 - 11:45 AM, said:

Not sure why it's called BG3 really, since the story of 1 and 2 was finished in the expansion of 2.

Its capitalising on the name of the franchise. (Theres actually a few baldurs gate games outside the two done by bioware). Its all related to the IP from wizards of the coast.

#15 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 19 March 2020 - 02:39 PM

Bg1 & 2 and IWD 1 & 2 with expansions were so much fun.

If you find yourself qaurn'd do yourself a favour and play them

#16 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 15 May 2020 - 07:23 PM

So, any you guys who have insider connections or your ear to the streets on the paths less traveled have any recent info on this? I'm jonesn' big time to know more about this. With all of the activity this summer of reveals, I'm hoping more will be coming about BG3.

#17 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 15 May 2020 - 08:04 PM

View PostMalankazooie, on 15 May 2020 - 07:23 PM, said:

So, any you guys who have insider connections or your ear to the streets on the paths less traveled have any recent info on this? I'm jonesn' big time to know more about this. With all of the activity this summer of reveals, I'm hoping more will be coming about BG3.

Early Access coming to PC this year.

Wouldn't shock me if BG3 shows up either at the next Stadia event, or the PC Gaming show in June
The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

#18 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 15 May 2020 - 09:19 PM

Man, I hope so. What has been revealed so far definitely has me wanting to see/know more. BTW, I guess I never had this cross my mind; will this game be releasing to consoles? That would suck if it was a PC only title.

#19 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 15 May 2020 - 10:34 PM

View PostMalankazooie, on 15 May 2020 - 09:19 PM, said:

Man, I hope so. What has been revealed so far definitely has me wanting to see/know more. BTW, I guess I never had this cross my mind; will this game be releasing to consoles? That would suck if it was a PC only title.

Since it's turn-based and not RTwP, I would presume that just like Divinity: Original Sin it'll find its way to consoles after the PC launch. Most CRPGs do these days; pretty much everything that's not mouse-driven AND real-time does
The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

#20 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 16 June 2020 - 06:26 PM

Posted Image

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users